Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jun 2009 (Monday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

crop lens duo?

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 01, 2009 18:34 |  #1

I sold all of my Canon gear for an engagement ring, but now I'm saving for a good photojournal/portrait/​wedding(secondary) setup, and I'd like to see what people think would be a good combo.

I would like to buy two 20ds with grips to have quick access to both a wide-ish and a long-ish lens. I like the 20d, and don't feel the need for anything newer, unless it's full frame.

Right now I'm thinking the Sigma 30 f/1.4 and Canon 85 f/1.8, but I'm open to other options, and would love to hear your suggestions.

I like the feel of the 35 and 85 combo on ff, and I'm pretty partial to primes, since more light and dof versatility are more important to me than zoom versatility.

I know that 30 and 85 on a 1.6 crop aren't ideal to simulate the 35/85/ff combo, but I can't really find any decent and fast 24 lens that fits my arbitrary budget (400 or so per lens to start with). The 85mm doesn't bother me so much. I might go with a 50mm f/1.4 anyway.

I guess what I am asking is if the 30/85 combo would be a good introduction back into Canonland, or is there something better that I'm missing?

I'm going to have to save for this gear anyway, so the budget I set is more for the sake of getting back into the game and starting a business than the most that I would be able to afford, so if you think that it would be worth my time and I would be happier and better equipped by waiting and saving for two 5ds and the 35 and 85 L's, then let me know. (In the meantime, I'm having fun with my girlfriend's d40 :) )

Sorry this is so long :(
Thanks in advance for your reading and response!

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 01, 2009 19:00 |  #2

The 30/85 combo is my "crop lens duo...."

With two bodies, you will be set! I love shooting with those two lenses, and except for when I need to go wide (10-20) or L-O-N-G (either my 70-200 or 100-400), the 30/85 gets the job done 90% of the time!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 01, 2009 21:47 |  #3

24mm is about 35mm on a crop. The only one close to your budget is the Sigma 24 1.8, but you might be happier with the 28mm f1.8 or 30mm 1.4

50mm is about 85mm on a crop. 50mm 1.4 is probably your best bet.

Personally, I would favor the 30/85 myself, but sounds like you want a bit wider.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 01, 2009 21:55 |  #4

yea, a bit wider than those would be nice, but I could sacrifice some width for quality, so I might still go with the 30/85. I don't really know anything about the 24 f/1.8. Has anyone had any experience with it?

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 01, 2009 22:08 |  #5

Sigma 20/1.8 and 50/1.4? Both are around $400 or so, a little less for the Canon 50/1.4. The Sigma 20 seems to get better reviews than the 24.

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 02, 2009 20:06 |  #6

Thanks, I'll look into the 20.

SCOTTinNJ
546 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 02, 2009 20:32 |  #7

I'd go with the Sigma 30 1.4 and the Canon 85 1.8.

Fuji X-T1

9 | 23 | 50
18-55 | 55-200

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 03, 2009 22:09 |  #8

yea, I like the idea of hsm for low-light af. I'm leaning towards the 30/85. I like the idea of having fast-focusing, low-light capable lenses.

sponsored links

809 views & 0 likes for this thread
crop lens duo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.