Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scanning old negatives

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 02, 2009 11:39 |  #1

I'm finally getting around to digitizing all of my old photos. I'd like your opinions on scanner types. Whether I'd be better off with a dedicated negative scanner such as the Nikon Coolscan, or a flatbed scanner with film adapters. I'm leaning towards a flatbed model since I know that a lot of my old childhood pics are probably missing their negatives and the flatbed would at least give me the option of scanning a print if the negative is missing. Are there major speed differences between the 2 scanner types as I'm going to have a lot of scanning to do?

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 02, 2009 12:13 |  #2

I scanned a bunch of negatives with an Epson flat bed with a film attachment, then scanned my wedding negs with a nikon coolscan iv. There was a WORLD of difference!

There are two ways you can do this...spend the money ($500 to $2,000) on a scanner, then sell it on ebay when you're done, or take them to a local camera shop who will use a professional negative scanner.

I ended up buying an HP All In One scanner for pictures, and took the rest of my negs to Roberts in Indy. I don't remember the price, but it was pretty reasonable, they even will give you tiff images if you want.

Gear
Website (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 02, 2009 20:00 |  #3

a521 wrote in post #8035689 (external link)
There are two ways you can do this...spend the money ($500 to $2,000) on a scanner, then sell it on ebay when you're done, or take them to a local camera shop who will use a professional negative scanner.

A word of caution about giving it to a place to have scanned. Scan resolutions will differ. What does the OP want to do with these scans? web use or larger than 8x10 prints?

For instance, when I get film developed I could get a CD of scans they do at the time of developing (all 35mm film is scanned then printed digitally during developing) but they can only provide 6MP scans (though they say they make great 16x20 prints from them - unless you compare it to a better scan and its print). So if you want higher resolution scans you need to shop around and ask around.

bjordan
977 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 03, 2009 16:08 |  #4

I bought a Canon Canoscan 8800f from adorama (<$200) and am pretty happy with it. It comes with three film caddys, one for 35mm negs, one for 35mm slides, and one for medium format. It comes with Photoshop Elements for Windows and Mac too. The 35mm caddy can do up to 6 negs at a time.

The native sensor resolution is 4800dpi, so for 35mm that's somewhere around a 31 Mp image... plenty of resolution for anything, at up to 48bit color TIFF if you can support it. That would print almost 16x24" at 300dpi without uprezzing.

I've been scanning at 2400 jpeg which is much faster and works out to be about 7.7MP - good enough for anything I'll do with old snapshots.

It also does regular photos, scan to PDF, some OCR, etc but I've just been doing negatives so far.

"...this was the destiny of our lives. A long time ago this was our future, looking now for a lost pomegranate at Big Sur." -R. Brautigan

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,541 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scanning old negatives
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.