Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prom Night: Shooting Tips?

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2009 16:17 |  #1

On Thursday, my local high school is having our prom at some large banquet hall or some sort.
I've offered to shoot it during that day, and most likely will. Technically, that night. No date, wasn't planning to go, but what the hay!
I'm not shooting with a studio in this hall.

Does anyone have any "tips" on how to make this a successful shoot?
All my gear is listed in my signature.

This is what i'm thinking:
- My XTi + 17-85 + 580EX II
- Borrowed XTi + 50 F/1.8 + 430EX II (as a backup/2nd body)

Going to buy a 430EX II to use on the 2nd body.
I'm REALLY hoping my Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 comes in the mail tomorrow or by latest Thursday evening, so I can stick it on my main body instead of the 17-85.
Would you recommend me ditching the 17-85 for the 18-50 F/2.8?

Going to pack my 70-200, as well as a borrowed Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6, + A LOT of spare AA batteries for camera + flash. 2 boxes of 40 NiMH batteries :D
And going to pack some hope that I have enough memory card space for these photos. Only a 4GB and 2 1GB cards. :(

Lighting is ultimately the strongest problem/question, let alone what gear I have, and what to prepare.
- I have a stofen, and a self made bounce card. I'm picturing that I should bounce the light off the ceiling and have the bounce card on as well.
- Using the stofen might be another option as well.
- As well as having the 580EX II as master, and the 430EX II as slave, to fill, add more light, and among other things.

I'm more experienced with off camera flash and studio work, and just ish on camera flash + bounce.
Just asking some people who are more experienced in lighting, do you have any tips and tricks for lighting and shooting?

Maybe just find out what works for my type of situation and stick with it?
I didn't realize what stress and responsibility I just put myself into until now. Hence i'm posting this long post!

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,235 views & 0 likes for this thread
Prom Night: Shooting Tips?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.