Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jun 2009 (Wednesday) 02:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMK2- First photo is # 0114!

lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 03, 2009 13:16 as a reply to  @ post 8042729 |  #31

I would have exchanged it as well. I would be bothered by the fact that I might have a camera someone returned with a problem.

New is new. Used is used.

On the other hand if the shop was upfront about the used status of the camera and offered a incentive to take it over a new one that would be different.

Just assumeing the customer is to stupid or slovenly to notice or care is insulting.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

sponsored links
Ben ­ Daniels
THREAD ­ STARTER
950 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2009 15:00 |  #32

I swapped the camera.
I put the charged battery in, and infront of the salesperson, switched it on, and the first thing that came up on the screen was set date and time! :-)I did not have that with the one I bought yesterday.
Something was certainly amiss, and I am pleased that I exchanged it even if it was nearly a three hour round trip!

Thanks to the people who backed me up. We were correct. And to at least one person who said just keep it. That would have been daft wouldn't it!

5DMK2 w/Grip: 40D w/Grip: Canon D60: 100mm F2.8 Macro USM : EF17-35mm F2.8
L : EF70-200mm f4L IS : Canon 1.4x Converter II : BG-E2 grip :TC420EX : Tamrac Ex5 bag :Manfrotto 055XPROB:Lee Filter System

Ben ­ Daniels
THREAD ­ STARTER
950 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2009 15:15 |  #33

I have just put the same CF card in the new body, and formatted in camera. Took a first shot and it was 001, just as it should be.
That previous camera had been used before, and so was not new.

I hope this info might be of some help to others in the future.

L : EF70-200mm f4L IS : Canon 1.4x Converter II : BG-E2 grip :TC420EX : Tamrac Ex5 bag :Manfrotto 055XPROB:Lee Filter System

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 03, 2009 17:43 |  #34

Ben Daniels wrote in post #8043463 (external link)
I swapped the camera.
I put the charged battery in, and infront of the salesperson, switched it on, and the first thing that came up on the screen was set date and time! :-)I did not have that with the one I bought yesterday.
Something was certainly amiss, and I am pleased that I exchanged it even if it was nearly a three hour round trip!

Thanks to the people who backed me up. We were correct. And to at least one person who said just keep it. That would have been daft wouldn't it!

Daft?
A three hour trip that serves no practical purpose is daft, in my opinion, but then again, even allaying irrational fears has some purpose I suppose.

Now, whatever you do, don't start doing lens focus tests with various charts and batteries or there's a very real risk that you'll be making another trip!

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 03, 2009 17:53 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

xarqi wrote in post #8044331 (external link)
Daft?
A three hour trip that serves no practical purpose is daft, in my opinion, but then again, even allaying irrational fears has some purpose I suppose.

Now, whatever you do, don't start doing lens focus tests with various charts and batteries or there's a very real risk that you'll be making another trip!

Always wear gloves when touching the camera, store the box away from light and dust.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

flipa77
242 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 03, 2009 20:14 |  #36

malla1962 wrote in post #8042431 (external link)
I would not have bothered myself.

why not? the store has a brand new one and willing to swap it. So I would drive to change it.

5D Mark II + Grip | EF 24-70mm 2.8 L | EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS L | 580EXII

syntrix
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 03, 2009 20:27 |  #37

flipa77 wrote in post #8045076 (external link)
why not? the store has a brand new one and willing to swap it. So I would drive to change it.

I'll agree with that! If he got a brand new 5D2, and it didn't perform as a new 5D2, then WTF?

Maybe it was exchanged by someone that had a problem that would have surfaced. If so, the dealer should send it back. Maybe it was demo'd for a while, maybe not.

But spending this kind of money, I'd be sure it's as fresh as possible. Kudos to the OP!

moew!!!!!

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 04, 2009 01:19 |  #38

flipa77 wrote in post #8045076 (external link)

100 shots is nothing if it has actualy done the shots, to me it is not worth the 3 hour drive and you still get the warranty.

Gear List

ssnkssnk
35 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 04, 2009 01:57 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #39

Satisfaction is the most critical part of the whole purchase process. OP is just trying to have the mental peace and satisfaction by exchanging it. So, why not then?

Sony A7rII / 35mm f2.8 / 55mm f1.8 / 70-200 f4

Ben ­ Daniels
THREAD ­ STARTER
950 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 04, 2009 02:13 |  #40

To those that still dont seem to understand.
This was supposed to be an absolutly brand new camera bought in a proper shop for £ 2,000-00.

Actually it appers to be a demo camera that had been used , and also had had the date and time set, and then replaced back in the box, and sold to me as a brand new, fresh out of the box camera.
Actually, I was lied to. If it was a £ 10-00 item I would not have bothered, but £ 2,000-00, I was perfectly justified to have a new camera.
If they had sold it to me as shop soiled, for a few hundred pounds less, I would have known what the real situation was.
I am now delighted with my brand new camera, just as I should be after spending what is a fortune to me.

GetOnMyLevel
538 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 04, 2009 02:15 |  #41

xarqi wrote in post #8040257 (external link)
Don't even think about it.

Lol, honestly.
Be happy you have a 5D2 and don't worry about little things like this.

flipa77
242 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2009 02:35 |  #42

malla1962 wrote in post #8046643 (external link)
100 shots is nothing if it has actualy done the shots, to me it is not worth the 3 hour drive and you still get the warranty.

For you it's ok, but if he wants to change it for a brand new one, who are we to tell him no.

If you buy a new car that has more than 100 miles on the odometer would you buy it? mine had only 14 miles and I still think it's way to much but I have seen "brand new one" with 400 miles. no thanks.

5D Mark II + Grip | EF 24-70mm 2.8 L | EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS L | 580EXII

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 04, 2009 02:47 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Ben Daniels wrote in post #8046774 (external link)
To those that still dont seem to understand.
This was supposed to be an absolutly brand new camera bought in a proper shop for £ 2,000-00.

Actually it appers to be a demo camera that had been used , and also had had the date and time set, and then replaced back in the box, and sold to me as a brand new, fresh out of the box camera.
Actually, I was lied to. If it was a £ 10-00 item I would not have bothered, but £ 2,000-00, I was perfectly justified to have a new camera.
If they had sold it to me as shop soiled, for a few hundred pounds less, I would have known what the real situation was.
I am now delighted with my brand new camera, just as I should be after spending what is a fortune to me.

Your ability to make stunning logical leaps is extraordinary. We've gone from "maybe the number is wrong because of a used CF card" to "I've been lied to and sold a demo body". Amazing.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

ssnkssnk
35 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 04, 2009 04:02 |  #44

OP has already exchanged the camera. So, the logic behing it doesn't matter anymore. OP is happy and maybe satisfied with his purchase now. Was there a compelling reason to exchange the camera, maybe not. But OP got satisfaction only after exchanging it. I am ready to make 2 3hr round trips, if that justifies MY reasoning.

mickeyjuice wrote in post #8046854 (external link)
Your ability to make stunning logical leaps is extraordinary. We've gone from "maybe the number is wrong because of a used CF card" to "I've been lied to and sold a demo body". Amazing.

Sony A7rII / 35mm f2.8 / 55mm f1.8 / 70-200 f4

CanonBoy3
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 04, 2009 04:11 |  #45

ajayclicks wrote in post #8040298 (external link)
What if you put in a new unused CF? Assuming that you might purchase more memory now that you have a 21MP FF.

i love your macro photos on your flickr

Canon 20d, 50d, and 5d
50mm1.4 / 17-40 F4L / 16-35 F2.8L / 28-135 F3.5 / 24-70 F2.8L / 85mm 1.2L / 100mm Macro F2.8

sponsored links

3,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMK2- First photo is # 0114!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.