Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jun 2009 (Wednesday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Logo - C&C please!

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2009 07:20 |  #1

My initials are "WBW," giving the unimaginative business name "WBW Photography." I have had the rough idea (the B on its side superimposed over two W's) for a long, long time... probably 10 years or so. I finally sat down in PS to try and make something out of it so that I can have a nice-looking website and business cards. Please let me know your thoughts. It is B&W for now but I am thinking about colors, either in the background or for the letters. Of course there are many possibilities, but I can't put anything together color-wise that looks decent, and I'm thinking maybe the B&W is the way to go.

I am going to re-make the whole thing in higher res and get all the centering/etc. right down to the pixel, so I don't need that kind of criticism at the moment. :)

CURRENT VERSION:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/plain' | Byte size: ZERO

initial version:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2009 07:30 |  #2

not 'seeing' the Ws. If you hadn't said WWW Photography I wouldn't have been able to put the black rectangles together and make out Ws.

Perhaps try the 'less is more' approach for your logo.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

WaPat
357 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 03, 2009 07:41 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #3

Have to agree with Snyderman here......

But....consider deemphasizing the graphic and stating the business name so folks can snap to the fact that the graphic is, indeed, a "B" and 2 "W"s.

Also, the heavy W "sticks" pretty much shouted "chaos" to me immediately upon opening your thread. Maybe consider toning them down or making them narrower and more "W" looking.

Just food for thought.

Pat

5D MkII | 40D | G15 | 11-16 f/2.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 35mm f/1.4L| 50mm f/2 ZE | 85mm f/1.8 | 135 f/2L | 70-200mm f/4L IS [COLOR=slategray]| 400mm f/5.6L

fadetoblack22
320 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 03, 2009 07:59 as a reply to  @ WaPat's post |  #4

Hey, good start. I'm not sure if I would be able to work out what the logo says just from the first look though. Are you interested in doing it yourself or would you consider getting someone else to do it? I know another forum where you could get a good quality one done for $15-20 and have a selection to choose from.

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2009 08:33 |  #5

Ok, good criticism all. I think instead of just "PHOTOGRAPHY" at the bottom I will put "WBW PHOTOGRAPHY" to make it clearer what the logo is supposed to mean.

Also I understand about the heavy dark slashes to form the W's. Maybe the image as a whole is too contrasty. How about this?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear

WaPat
357 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 03, 2009 08:41 as a reply to  @ badgerW's post |  #6

Seriously better, badger.

Have you given any consideration to narrowing the "typeface" of the entire graphic.

It still is overwhelming.....almos​t to the point of not noticing the name of your business.

Pat

5D MkII | 40D | G15 | 11-16 f/2.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 35mm f/1.4L| 50mm f/2 ZE | 85mm f/1.8 | 135 f/2L | 70-200mm f/4L IS [COLOR=slategray]| 400mm f/5.6L

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2009 09:00 |  #7

WaPat wrote in post #8041200 (external link)
Seriously better, badger.

Have you given any consideration to narrowing the "typeface" of the entire graphic.

It still is overwhelming.....almos​t to the point of not noticing the name of your business.

Pat

Gotcha. But keep in mind, this is more about the design of the logo itself, not necessarily its scale. I know that it is kind of a heavy design and would probably not do something like make this graphic the entire front of a business card.

As for narrowing the typeface, yes I definitely considered it (basically making the stroke width of everything narrower). This would be easy to do with the B since it was just a stroked path anyway, but I would have to re-do the W's since they were text (Helvetica) that I rasterized and stretched to fit the B. I might just go ahead and do this, as it might indeed make for a better logo. I will try it tonight, thanks for the suggestion.

I am also thinking about turning the whole thing on its side so the "B" is upright and the W's pass through each of the holes in the B. I don't think it would be as compelling though.

Gear

WaPat
357 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 03, 2009 09:07 as a reply to  @ badgerW's post |  #8

Good idea.

Leave it horizontal (I absolutely agree....vertical ungood). Then make the "B" narrower...emphasizing the "W"s.

Have a whack at it.

Pat

hypertech
403 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 03, 2009 10:01 |  #9

Its way too busy and difficult to figure out what it is supposed to be. Maybe try a color for each letter so you can tell how they go together?

Canon 5Dm2, 50D, XSi (450D), 580 EX IIx2
24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 18-55mm IS, Tokina 116
www.reflectivecanvas.c​om (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 03, 2009 13:34 |  #10

What do you specialize? The logo has an industrial (looks like a bridge to me) feel to it, at least to me. If that's what you are looking for, keep it, if not...maybe a re-design.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2009 14:21 |  #11

Hikin Mike wrote in post #8042904 (external link)
What do you specialize? The logo has an industrial (looks like a bridge to me) feel to it, at least to me. If that's what you are looking for, keep it, if not...maybe a re-design.

Haha, yeah, I was kinda goin' for the bridge design. :) I don't plan on specializing in it, but I do like architectural photography.

I re-made the W's with stroked lines instead of the stretched Helvetica font I was using before. I also changed the way the W's "wrap" around the B, making it look more consistent.... I'm on the fence about going consistent or changing it up a bit. Anyway, Version 3 is now up.

Gear

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 03, 2009 16:50 |  #12

badgerW wrote in post #8043195 (external link)
Haha, yeah, I was kinda goin' for the bridge design. :) I don't plan on specializing in it, but I do like architectural photography.

Then you're done! I do like the 3rd try. :D

FWIW, Look at my logo on my avatar/website. I used the tree and mountains to form my initials, 'MM'. Since I'm a nature photographer, I think it fits quite nicely. ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

veeloo
56 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2009 18:18 |  #13

watch out with the 'w' overlapping the b, you can see a tiny segment of the top of the w when it is behind the curve of the b - looks awkward.

badgerW
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2009 18:38 |  #14

veeloo wrote in post #8044498 (external link)
watch out with the 'w' overlapping the b, you can see a tiny segment of the top of the w when it is behind the curve of the b - looks awkward.

I know, I have been debating whether to get rid of this from the beginning. I guess I will try it....

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hmm, I think it works. I contradicts some of my initial vision, but it does give a cleaner look without that tiny distracting strip hanging out there.

Gear

dreamcatcher23
225 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 03, 2009 18:46 |  #15

maybe make the center of the W's lower and see how that looks

sponsored links

2,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Logo - C&C please!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.