Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 04 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 18:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy training session

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 04, 2009 18:06 |  #1

I was at a local BB store last night killing some time so I decided to look at the Nikon D300. I had to put the lens on, due to incompetence of the sales associate. He knew nothing of the features and when I gave back the camera he was trying with all his might to twist the lens off without pushing the lens release button. I was laughing histerically under my breath and furious all at the same time. because I applied there for a job some time ago and never got called. I figure maybe I was too over qualified??? Anyone else have to deal with this kind of nonsense at a BB store?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 04, 2009 19:36 |  #2

you should have helped him out before he damaged it. :confused:

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

snakekid
373 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 04, 2009 20:16 as a reply to  @ alt4852's post |  #3

did you answer the questions at the extremes only? (highly agree or disagree) apparently they dont like it when people dont.

-Will
40d, tamron 17-50mm, 85mm 1.8. a ton of flashes and cybersyncs.

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 04, 2009 21:05 |  #4

Well, I showed him how to basically run the whole thing, and yes, switch lenses.

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

NILOLIGIST
Goldmember
2,131 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jun 04, 2009 22:49 |  #5

I've had that experience too. I was talking to a female about one of the canon cameras and asked her why they didn't have the 1Ds MK and she started telling me something that was totally wrong when I finished with her she was in a corner crying I felt really bad and I told one of the guys that I was really sorry. They just sell the gear they are not B&H and really have NO CLUE. But, I would never buy the gear from them so I think I'm just mean busting their chops! I do the same thing with the computers and the cell phones! I'm a female just being a $%$&*&^! LOL. I really don't find anything useful in Best Buy anymore, if I don't get it at B&H I get it online.

Nil

Canon 1D Mark II, 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L. 580EX, 4 - Alien Bees, Gitzo Tripod, Bogen Monopod.

My websites
http:// (external link)www.frederiqueporter.c​om (external link)http://www.musecube.co​m/photosbyrica (external link)http://www.pbase.com/n​iloligist (external link)

Joe_Gravelle
201 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 06, 2009 13:49 |  #6

alt4852 wrote in post #8051383 (external link)
you should have helped him out before he damaged it. :confused:

but then you could probably buy it for cheap and fix it with your awesome knowledge of mcgyver episodes bw!

you want to get really funny.

I had to educate a BB sales associate on color temperature and Kelvin while I was playing with the 50D while I was shopping for cameras.Needless to say I too had interviewed for the same department and I guess I don't know anything about those fancy picture taking devices.. every time I try to get a B flat I get a B sharp, guess my finger placement is wrong.

|Canon 450D| |70-200mm F4L|18-55mm|28-135mm USM|50mm F1.8II|430EXII|

Ry-Guy
20 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 06, 2009 17:25 |  #7

I used to work at Best Buy and they don't offer any real technical training, they just try to hire people that already know something about technology...or people that sound like they know what they're talking about. :)

There's also a chance that the guy worked in another department and was just covering someones lunch, so he might not have been in his area of expertise.

| 7D | Gripped XSi | 24-105L | 100L Macro | Nifty-Fifty | Nifty Two-Fifty | 580EX II |

Dbix
374 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 06, 2009 17:27 |  #8

I used to work in the camera department(Digital Imaging as the call it) at Best Buy and believe me, you should be glad you didn't get hired.

Flickr (external link)

Vndcatr
353 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 06, 2009 18:08 |  #9

Dbix wrote in post #8062133 (external link)
I used to work in the camera department(Digital Imaging as the call it) at Best Buy and believe me, you should be glad you didn't get hired.

I still work at bestbuy .. Im in the (SWAT) or we call it inventory control.. And from what i gathered .. Its usually people who say that either got fired or didnt deserve to work there in the first place.

They will send you to an offsite location to get trained but most employees dont care and just worry about what there gonna do when they get off work or who their going drinking with. Rather sad people dont take pride in their work. Who knows maybe if they did they would be on my pay grade :lol:

7D I 30D I 17-40L I 70-200 F4L I 10-22 I 15-85 I 100 F2.8 I 28-135 I 430EX II
"Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen"

djharmonix
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 15, 2009 19:22 as a reply to  @ post 8070996 |  #10

At Future Shop (same company as BB here in Montreal, Canada) the SLR cameras were on display on sticks without lenses and BODY CAP!

You had a 5D with the mirror showing sticky fingerprints and probably damaged. They say people steal the lenses and even stole body caps.

Those cameras are scrap.

Please, click ''LIKE'' on my facebook page for real estate photography! Thank you for your support!http://www.facebook.co​m/photoresidence (external link)

Woogie
660 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 15, 2009 19:33 |  #11

NILOLIGIST wrote in post #8052747 (external link)
I've had that experience too. I was talking to a female about one of the canon cameras and asked her why they didn't have the 1Ds MK and she started telling me something that was totally wrong when I finished with her she was in a corner crying I felt really bad and I told one of the guys that I was really sorry. They just sell the gear they are not B&H and really have NO CLUE. But, I would never buy the gear from them so I think I'm just mean busting their chops! I do the same thing with the computers and the cell phones! I'm a female just being a $%$&*&^! LOL. I really don't find anything useful in Best Buy anymore, if I don't get it at B&H I get it online.

Nil

There is no such model as the "1Ds MK". You must think you're pretty cool for picking on people who are just there to make a couple bucks to feed themselves.

Underscore
309 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2009 09:14 |  #12

Next time that happens to anyone, I suggest telling management what happened, but do not identify who it was that had the problem; that way you can ask if they need anyone knowledgeable in the department and perhaps you can get a gig that way.

Sometimes it is little bits of key information that provide you the upside in a negotiation.

If you are just trying to help the guy, then just help the guy. If he is supposed to be an expert in the area you are browsing, and cannot operate the equipment they are selling, then I would report that to management and see if they will give you a gift certificate or somesing likes thats.

scpictaker wrote in post #8050983 (external link)
I was at a local BB store last night killing some time so I decided to look at the Nikon D300. I had to put the lens on, due to incompetence of the sales associate. He knew nothing of the features and when I gave back the camera he was trying with all his might to twist the lens off without pushing the lens release button. I was laughing histerically under my breath and furious all at the same time. because I applied there for a job some time ago and never got called. I figure maybe I was too over qualified??? Anyone else have to deal with this kind of nonsense at a BB store?

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 19, 2009 09:27 as a reply to  @ post 8070738 |  #13

Best Buy just isn't the place to go for camera stuff. haha

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

Smitty2001
106 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 22, 2009 21:56 |  #14

djharmonix wrote in post #8116191 (external link)
At Future Shop (same company as BB here in Montreal, Canada) the SLR cameras were on display on sticks without lenses and BODY CAP!

You had a 5D with the mirror showing sticky fingerprints and probably damaged. They say people steal the lenses and even stole body caps.

Those cameras are scrap.

Yea, the local sears here just realized people were stealing the lenses off the Dslr's here. Now, nothing is on display. :/

highv0lt6ge
126 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 24, 2009 19:31 |  #15

Woogie wrote in post #8116244 (external link)
There is no such model as the "1Ds MK". You must think you're pretty cool for picking on people who are just there to make a couple bucks to feed themselves.

Gotta love people like that. Ripping someone trying to make a buck. Stay classy.

Greg
Cincinnati Ohio
http://cincypics.com/G​reg/ (external link)
Canon 50D | XT
28-135 IS | 70-300 | 18-55 | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

sponsored links

3,896 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy training session
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.