Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need critique on this canal photo

gking
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 04, 2009 19:32 |  #1

I came upon this scene and decide to shoot without tripod.
The drastic contrast of dark and bright light on the heron gave me trouble.
Since I was far from the bird, I used at 210mm zoom, 100 ISO to keep better quality.
I am not very unhappy with the results but I am sure I could improve on it.
Please tell me what would you do. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi ; Canon EOS 650 35mm; Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 58mm -1:3.5-5.6 II; Canon EF 70-210mm 1:4; Canon EF 50mm1:1.8; Canon EF 28mm; Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro; Canon Speedlite 420 EX

Stutterbug
176 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 04, 2009 19:59 |  #2

was going to play with it a bit and crop it up but you have image editing turned off. I think if you got closer and kept the top third of the picture and took a few steps right so the branch wasn't in the shot you would have a better picture. I had a hard time noticing the bird in till someone pointed it out the first time you posted this.

Canon 7D, EF 28-70L, EF 50, EF 28-90, EF 75-300, EF 35-70, EFS 28-135 and a desire to learn.

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 04, 2009 20:32 |  #3

I would imagine the bird's completely blown even if shot in RAW. That's life - those birds are such a pain and you really need to underexpose everything else to capture them. Good to review your image - keep tapping the "display" button until overexposed bits flash. Compositionally, I'm indifferent. The reflection of the tree is vaguely interesting, but as much as it can be a lead in line it can also draw the eye down and out. The point the tree meets the water is obfuscated by some foreground branches and some manner of black stump. The bird is a bit closer to the tree than desirable, leaving the right side of the image very empty. I do like the hues in the water, but there's not a lot to look at for long other than the tree and bird's "inverse silohouette". You might try cropping the bottom half out, tightening it up a bit. Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

gking
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 04, 2009 20:51 |  #4

I didn't realize that I had the image editing off. I just turned it ON.
I was standing on a bridge over the canal. I could not get any closer other than using the zoom as I did.
I will experiment with your suggestions. Keep them coming, that is how we can get to create better photos.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi ; Canon EOS 650 35mm; Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 58mm -1:3.5-5.6 II; Canon EF 70-210mm 1:4; Canon EF 50mm1:1.8; Canon EF 28mm; Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro; Canon Speedlite 420 EX

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

541 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need critique on this canal photo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.