Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Jun 2009 (Friday) 18:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY Cool Light (1875 Watts), Now what?

justincase724
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 05, 2009 18:36 |  #1

Being an electrician for over a decade, I've seen these Spiderlights that go for many hundreds of dollars and have always thought that I can just make something similar myself for much, much less. The first one I made had a total of seven lamps, but it just seemed not bright enough for me, so I figured I'd go big for the second one. Here's what I ended up with. A total of twenty-five flourescent lamps, each rated at 75 watts output, 30 watts consumption, in a 12" x 12" base. That's a grand total of 1875 watts of light with an actual consumption of 750 watts (or 6.25 amps). I've got three switches on it, two have 600 watts tied to them, the third 675 watts.

Now, the only problems I have are the weight of the light (about 15 pounds), supporting the light, and building a soft box for the dang thing. I'm in the process of building a better support bracket for it, but if anyone has any ideas on a soft box (or any light modifiers), I would love to hear your suggestions.

I don't have any real photo's taken using this light yet because I need to come up with some kind of softbox or something. Hopefully someone here can help me with ideas.

1. The whole thing...

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2212/3533045032_7c3fc2634c_o.jpg

2. One switch only, 675 watts output...
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/3533044564_e942a499ce_o.jpg

3. All switches on, 1875 watts output...
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3532226587_f5d428ab1d_o.jpg

4. My daughter playing under the flourescent artificial sun...
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2116/3532226879_5dd6dc4d50_o.jpg

FLICKr (external link) GEAR

sponsored links
Kaya75
194 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 05, 2009 20:27 |  #2

That's awesome - well done :)

Try using a reflector instead - a soft box softens the light (or gives / softens shadows - whichever way yo want to look at it..) but your flo's are soft to start with - i'd imagine a reflector (could be some sheets of aluminium foil stuck to a board) and a set of barn doors / snoots would give your better control :) - your diy skills are way advanced enough for reflectors, snoots and soft boxes but i think you'd gain little with a soft box over a simple snoot / curtain set to control your 'spill'

Great work (do you ship to the uk? lol) :)

---------------
Travel with a smile take only photographs, leave only footprints.

Kaya75
194 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 05, 2009 20:28 |  #3

really great job - i like the bulb shots even :)

---------------
Travel with a smile take only photographs, leave only footprints.

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 09, 2009 12:27 as a reply to  @ Kaya75's post |  #4

Thank you for your suggestions, Kaya75. I had never thought of just making a set of barn doors or something simple for this. That'll actually be much easier than trying to make a softbox for this thing.

drh681
157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2009 12:59 as a reply to  @ justincase724's post |  #5

yeap, you already have what is essentially a 12 inch soft box.
barn doors will let you controll the "spill" of the light better.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 09, 2009 13:02 as a reply to  @ justincase724's post |  #6

I would forego the softbox and just get some white nylon ripstop and some PVC and make a diffusion panel. You'll get really soft, even light that will look beautiful on your subjects. Perhaps make a small panel about 36" x 36" and a large panel measuring about 36" or 48" wide and 6 or 7 feet tall. Those 2 panels will give you lots of flexibility.

You can use foam core or a reflector for fill or if you want to make a second light source you'll have main and fill and can then use a reflector for hair or accent lighting.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 10, 2009 13:09 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #7

Thank you for the additional ideas. I think I'm going to make some barn doors for it to start as the spill light off this thing is the biggest problem. I've never thought of it as "a 12 inch softbox". That give's me some more ideas for other lights that I can make. I had one that was a 6' tall strip with 8 or 9 lights on it. Maybe I'll make another one of those with a little more light output on it.

Kyle ­ is ­ raaddd
529 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 10, 2009 21:41 |  #8

This is awesome! Great DIY work, and yes, I agree with getting something such as barn doors to help control the light spill more accurately.

Again, nice work!

Flickr (external link)

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 10, 2009 22:33 as a reply to  @ Kyle is raaddd's post |  #9

Thanks Kyle! You're raaddd! And welcome to POTN.

drewr
224 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 11, 2009 01:10 |  #10

Love it. I'd like to see some photos taken with it.

http://www.flikr.com/d​rewrphoto (external link)

Kyle ­ is ­ raaddd
529 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2009 01:36 |  #11

Thankyou for the welcome :)
I rather like it here already.

Flickr (external link)

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 11, 2009 11:21 |  #12

drewr wrote in post #8088506 (external link)
Love it. I'd like to see some photos taken with it.

Me too! I actually haven't had a chance to really use it yet... wait... I took this picture with it, but it was just a quick "turn it on a take a couple shots" thing. I've got a maternity shoot scheduled next month that I plan to use it on, but I'd like to know how best to use it before then. I'll try some get some more shots after I get the barn doors made.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3615387661_7ba6b48f40_o.jpg

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 11, 2009 13:17 |  #13

TMR Design wrote in post #8078267 (external link)
I would forego the softbox and just get some white nylon ripstop and some PVC and make a diffusion panel.

A diffusion panel in front of the light will soften the light that makes it through the panel but about 50% of the light will be wasted because the white panel will bounce the light backward and into the room. A silver lined softbox will redirect this wasted light forward through the front panel and onto the subject.

Unless you stole these bulbs you must have about $100.00 in bulbs alone.

Benji

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 11, 2009 13:57 as a reply to  @ Benji's post |  #14

Hi Benji,

I do realize there will be some wasted light but I was looking for a simple solution rather than having to custom design some sort of softbox for a large panel of fluorescent lights. I would also think that anyone using continuous light would be working very close to the subjects as opposed to the distances many will use for strobe lighting.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

justincase724
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 11, 2009 14:42 |  #15

Benji wrote in post #8091203 (external link)
Unless you stole these bulbs you must have about $100.00 in bulbs alone.

Nope, $37.50 in bulbs. Costco has a pack of 6 for something like $9 - and they're daylight balanced! If I had to pay the "normal" price of fluorescents (nearly $20 each from what I've seen), I never would've gone any further on this.

sponsored links

6,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Cool Light (1875 Watts), Now what?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.