Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Jun 2009 (Friday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yosemite

MaxSteel
289 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 05, 2009 22:16 |  #1

Some pics from my recent trip to Yosemite. The lighting could've been better but I had a great time. Didn't get to see a bear which I was bummed about. Had my 70-300 on most of the time incase I ran into one :( Enjoy.

C&C and tips welcome as always.

Thought this was a person when I first drove by :rofl

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3599716492_6b2ddacc28_b.jpg
Squirrel that greeted us at our campsite.
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2422/3598914325_d2ea50f779_b.jpg
Birds N **** y0
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3598915979_dc1c14a246_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/3599726452_c774a9e983_b.jpg
The Views
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3599725614_62865597c1_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3599729032_b602438999_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3598920763_66f6f4d3b0_b.jpg

maxsimpsonphotography.​com (external link)

sponsored links
Sisyphus
384 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 05, 2009 23:58 |  #2

#7 Working backwards, the last one is my favorite overall. It has an epic look, which I like.

#6 I don't care for the soft-water effect in most cases, here included. It seems unnatural somehow. Fun to play with, but it's generally overdone.

#5 This is nice. Might have been better with more foreground besides the body of water. The piece of wood is good, for example. The big rock on the far left is good, too, except there's too little of it.

#4 How did you manage to get all four animals to moon the camera simultaneously? ;)

#3 The bird photo is excellent. Great separation from the background and a nice, clean shot. I like all the space -- the bird seems to be surveying the vastness, free to take off and fly wherever he wants.

#2 What can I say? Cute cute cute. I don't mind at all that he's smack in the center -- and the center of attention.

#1 Can't decide whether the carcass signifies roadkill or it just happens to lie beside the road. Either way, the photo is technically okay but the subject matter is not something that holds my interest for long. I'm sure it's attractive to some, just not for me.

Canon 5D | EF 24-105 | Sigma 12-24

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2009 00:26 |  #3

#1/Bones: Can imagine your mistaking it for human! Looks well munched.

#2/Squirrel: Very cute. Nice sharpness, colour. Could crop from right ala Rule of Thirds, but fine as is too, so just do it if you want a squarer image for a particular spot.

#3/Bird: Plants draw attention down and out of frame, especially for having such a small strip of them in frame. They're surprisingly bright too - less noticable against the background - but can see why you've perhaps needed to lose some shadow detail on the bird to avoid blowing more foliage. Anyway, main thing for me would be to frame (or hopefully crop) with the bird a bit higher up and more plant matter included.

#4/Deer Bums: Fair enough, but run around next time ;-P. I'm nonplussed by the background - could crop just above the deer for a minimalist (perhaps overly) look.

#5/Lake: Interestingly thin slice of water. The protruberences therefrom - I assume some branches? - are too small, distracting and frustrating. We're left scanning forwards for something to look at. The rock at left draws the eye but doesn't offer much either - a bit more in frame might have helped.

#6/River: Not a fan of the water treatment really, and there's overexposure issues at back, but what I was immediately struck by and do like is the consistent chunkiness of it all: the numerous largish rocks and the many decently thick contrasted tree trunks at back left. That fits in with the robust flow of water too. The crop at top looks a bit harsh and incomplete for not including any folliage - an HDR portrait treatment might have been interesting too.

#7/Mountains: Not enough foreground - pity as the flowers looked adequate, but so marked I'm wondering if you're avoiding something ugly beneath. Bit lopsided/unbalanced by the sheer weight of mountain at left. You've tilted the lens upwards a lot, making the trees at the sides lean inwards - particularly obvious at right. Central mountain's terific and nicely lit: makes me want to be a rock climber.

Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

MaxSteel
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 06, 2009 16:23 as a reply to  @ tonydee's post |  #4

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

KenVP
794 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 06, 2009 22:31 as a reply to  @ MaxSteel's post |  #5

The views are great, the first fella did nto have such a good day and seems a bit off imo....

rolex87
425 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 27, 2011 00:05 |  #6

Ditto on the overexposure on the Bridalveil Creek shot. The last one has the clouds we are always hoping for...be happy you got them!!

Staff Photographer - Ansel Adams Gallery, Yosemite Nat'l Park
www.mikereevesphotogra​phy.com (external link) - enter coupon code "potn" for 15% off!!!
http://www.facebook.co​m …-Photography/3544971237​58 (external link) - Fan Page
My book "Images of Splendor" - http://www.magcloud.co​m …e/issue/805218?​__r=176449 (external link)

MaxSteel
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2011 00:41 as a reply to  @ rolex87's post |  #7

epic bump! Thanks for the feedback guys.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 27, 2011 01:42 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

love the nature shots, although i think the water shots are exposed too long. its way to smooth for my taste, but its how you wanted to interpret it nonetheless.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 27, 2011 02:08 |  #9

With shot 5, is it just me or is that horizon not level?

MaxSteel
THREAD ­ STARTER
289 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2011 04:10 |  #10

stayhumble wrote in post #11723058 (external link)
love the nature shots, although i think the water shots are exposed too long. its way to smooth for my taste, but its how you wanted to interpret it nonetheless.

Thanks for the feedback. It was my first time messing around with long exposure with water, I agree it's a bit much.

nuffi wrote in post #11723142 (external link)
With shot 5, is it just me or is that horizon not level?

Good catch. It's a bit off.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 27, 2011 16:56 as a reply to  @ MaxSteel's post |  #11

Nothing wrong with going for the silky water look... The composition is good, but you'd probably do well to crop the partial rock off the bottom edge of the frame. Unfortunately, you've got severely blown highlights in the back, and the water is blown as well.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Crystal ­ W ­ Photography
500 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2011 10:24 |  #12

1. Not bad for a skelton
2 Cute, but I would have moved him a little more toward the bottom of the frame. Too much rock in the way.
3. Beautiful red wing black bird.
4. Beautiful landscape. Although I think I would have moved the camera down a little bit to include more of the water and less sky. Also watch out on your left side. The rock is sticking out. Either moved the camera more to the left to include more rock or moved to the right to not include rock at all.
5. I like the lower half of the water, but not the upper half. Too over exposed.
6. Beautiful, but I would have included a little more field and less sky.

Crystal
www.crystalwightman.co​m (external link)
Add me on Facebook (external link)

Chad ­ R.
214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 28, 2011 11:41 as a reply to  @ post 11731091 |  #13

I love the ones of half dome and the brook

They say you are what you eat. Funny, I don't remember eating a sexy beast.

kyle_4375
293 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 28, 2011 12:02 |  #14

#7 FTW...would've been even more awesome had you shot it in the early AM or PM, I think!

Canon 50D | Tamron 17-50 | Tamron 70-300 | Nifty Fifty | 430ex | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,383 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yosemite
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.