Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2009 (Sunday) 22:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what to take - spending a 6 days in San Diego

photorookie
460 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 07, 2009 22:55 |  #1

We are taking a family vacation to San Diego in mid July. I have two camera bodies and will take one of them. Here are my options.

Canon 5D, Canon 70-200L f4IS, Canon 24-105L IS and Tamron 17-35. OR

Canon 40D, Canon 70-200L f4IS, Canon 24-105L IS and Canon 10-22.

Which setup would you suggest. Also considering getting rid of the Tamron and adding a Canon 16-35L MkI

Do I need any faster glass, like a prime? The camera and three llenses will be in my Crumpler 6mdh as a carry on bag.

I also have a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod (about 3.5 pounds) is it worth stuffing this in a suitcase.

Finally are 3 16 gig CF cards enough?

Thanks for any input!!

sponsored links
AiGTs
535 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 11, 2009 00:40 |  #2

I would definitely bring the UWA to capture the beautiful beaches, especially at sunset time. If your intend is to take pictures, I would bring the tripod, you can get some amazing shots during the sunset hours.

I would pick either of the following setup. I like to travel very light so I never bring more than 2 lenses when I travel. After all, you want to enjoy the trip.

5D + 24-105L + Tamron 17-35
or
40D + 24-105L + 10-22

If you really want to pack light, 5D + 24-105L will work just fine. And, 3 16 gig CF cards is more than enough for 6 days.

20D 24 2.8 85 1.8
M8 35Lux 50Lux 50Nok

photorookie
THREAD ­ STARTER
460 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 11, 2009 09:24 as a reply to  @ AiGTs's post |  #3

thanks for the reply, I do want to take the 70-200 for the zoo. may take it and the ultra wide and skip the 24-105

AiGTs
535 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 11, 2009 17:37 |  #4

photorookie wrote in post #8089868 (external link)
thanks for the reply, I do want to take the 70-200 for the zoo. may take it and the ultra wide and skip the 24-105

I didn't think about that. 70-200 will be perfect for the zoo and wild animal park. Enjoy the trip. :cool:

20D 24 2.8 85 1.8
M8 35Lux 50Lux 50Nok

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 17, 2009 14:49 |  #5

40d + 24-105 + 10-22 + 70-200 and then leave what you dont need that day in the hotel safe.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 29, 2009 18:38 as a reply to  @ CosmoKid's post |  #6

photorookie wrote in post #8089868 (external link)

Skip the UWA for the zoo. There isn't really that much that warrants that much wide angle, especially on the 5D. You'll want the longest you can get for a lot of the enclosures, especially the ones with wire. By going long and using a reasonably wide aperture, you can blur the wire out to the point where is is virtually invisible. When I go to the zoo I usually take either a 70-200 with both a 1.4X and 2X converter or a 100-400 (which would be even better.) For a shorter lens I have a Tamron 28-75.

Added: If you have a flash, you're going to want to bring that also...

HERE (external link) are galleries of shots my wife and I have taken at the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, along with a few from other zoos outside the area.

If you have any questions about the zoo, Wild Animal Park or San Diego in general don't hesitate to PM me.

John

sponsored links

1,206 views & 0 likes for this thread
what to take - spending a 6 days in San Diego
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.