Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jun 2009 (Monday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Man, most people don't know how to use cameras.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:25 |  #16

nicksan wrote in post #8072824 (external link)
We all are...we all are!:lol:
Grass is ALWAYS greener...unless you are Bill Gates.;)

When his grass isn't green enough, he closes the window then re-opens it to see if the grass is now greener.

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:26 |  #17

Quad wrote in post #8072759 (external link)
Why not! I have seen people try to light the moon up. Pity the poor astronaut/moon gerbil getting a scare when that flash hits them.

How about using a pop-up flash to illuminate Saturn? Go see "Mom and Dad Save the World."

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 08, 2009 16:29 |  #18

You don't need a fancy camera or car to be an idiot. On the elevator today, a person mentioned that she went to a puppy farm in PA over the weekend. She mentioned that there was a group of about 7 "teacup size dogs" in one of the cages. The "Dog Expert" in the elevator said: "Those were the runts." he went on to explain: "Every liter has a runt that is much smaller than the other dogs. They just gathered up all of the runts from the various liters and put them in one cage." I bit my tongue.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 08, 2009 16:29 |  #19

cosworth wrote in post #8072884 (external link)
Then you have the guy with a $400 camera...

From a $200 camera.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Of course, it's woefully irrational to suggest that a $200 refurbished Nikon Coolpix P80, which produced these images, can consistently match the product from a 21st-century DSLR. At the extremes of lighting and framing, along with color reproduction, a DSLR will work better. However, the main point about cameras, as suggested in this thread, is that the most important component is the person behind the viewfinder.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:33 |  #20

I ain't know what you is talking about.

Roy Mathers wrote in post #8073002 (external link)
It doesn't bother me. There are millions of people with cameras - some expensive, some not - who know nothing about the finer points of photography, and have no desire to. Why let it bother you? It's a bit condescending to look down on them and get annoyed. They're not interested - live with it. For instance, when I read some of the atrocious English on this forum, it annoys me no end - but, to the perpetrators, it's not important. It's all the same thing.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:37 |  #21

Roy Mathers wrote in post #8073002 (external link)
...when I read some of the atrocious English on this forum, it annoys me no end - but, to the perpetrators, it's not important. It's all the same thing.

No, Roy. It's not the same thing at all. Those who post are, presumably, trying to communicate. Otherwise, why post at all?

By using such atrocious grammar, they are demonstrating that, in their minds, we are simply not worth the effort to even try to use effective communication tools. I find this highly insulting.

This is why I simply don't answer such posts, even when the correct answer to their problem is obvious to me. If they can't put forth an effort to communicate, why should I waste my time responding.

Now if a person tries, as do virtually all the non-English speakers, that is another thing entirely. Casual inspection of the post can readily determine the difference.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:37 |  #22

That's a given though and there's really no reason for anybody to be preaching about it. Of course it's about the person behind the camera. Give me some Air Jordans, a NBA certified basketball, and take me to MSG to shoot some hoops...and I will stink it up with the best of 'em!

:lol:

DC Fan wrote in post #8073054 (external link)
From a $200 camera.
Of course, it's woefully irrational to suggest that a $200 refurbished Nikon Coolpix P80, which produced these images, can consistently match the product from a 21st-century DSLR. At the extremes of lighting and framing, along with color reproduction, a DSLR will work better. However, the main point about cameras, as suggested in this thread, is that the most important component is the person behind the viewfinder.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:45 |  #23

Wow...we are not worthy.:rolleyes:

20droger wrote in post #8073090 (external link)
By using such atrocious grammar, they are demonstrating that, in their minds, we are simply not worth the effort to even try to use effective communication tools. I find this highly insulting.

This is why I simply don't answer such posts, even when the correct answer to their problem is obvious to me. If they can't put forth an effort to communicate, why should I waste my time responding.

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2009 16:47 |  #24

cosworth wrote in post #8072884 (external link)
Then you have the guy with a $400 camera who is CONVINCED he's the next master and will tell you, heck even fight with you that he knows what is best.

I've seen them in the lens and body forum...

You really think I could get $400 for my camera? :)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,283 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:48 |  #25

No, Roy. It's not the same thing at all. Those who post are, presumably, trying to communicate. Otherwise, why post at all?

Now if a person tries, as do virtually all the non-English speakers, that is another thing entirely. Casual inspection of the post can readily determine the difference.

I agree with everything you say Roger. The only reason I said it was the same thing is that the people doing terrible things (with cameras or words) either don't know they're doing terrible things or, more likely, don't care.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2009 16:49 |  #26

I'd use the "Book Worthy" emoticon here but I can't stand emoticons. Well said.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 08, 2009 16:54 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #27

Same basic answer that 20droger has given regarding poor grammar/spelling for the last 3 or 4 years now.

And, I am still in agreement with him.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 17:00 as a reply to  @ Jon, The Elder's post |  #28

Better fire up that spell checker then...:lol:

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 08, 2009 17:01 as a reply to  @ 20droger's post |  #29

As most here have submitted, I couldn't care less what other people do with their money. I've seen countless number of people spend large sums of money on any number of things, even when they would be better served with a lower cost or different product. That, of course, is my opinion; as those who can afford to spend on the latest and greatest should.

Hell, why not if you can? Chances are, they would have the same results with the cheaper models and blame the equipment. At least buying a highly regarded product variably eliminates one point of failure, and if they choose to sell their unused 'bad' product, someone like me can sometimes get a good deal.:D

What does annoy me however, is negative reports taken as gospel from people who simply do not have the aptitude or inclination to spend the time to learn how to properly use the product. These same consumers get poor results, but continue to use the same methods that generated the problem in the first place. They fail to understand why they get the same disappointing result. I am convinced that user error leads to more negative reviews than bad products. I am including ones by online entities who use flawed or incomplete methods of testing, which is why I take anything I read with a huge dose of salt.

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 17:11 as a reply to  @ Duncan Frenz's post |  #30

I read these reviews with a huge grain of salt as well, even the so-called "professional" ones. It's really up to me to sort through all the various review sites and formulate a decision.

However, even that doesn't bother me enough to rant about it.

An example would be how I buy my PC parts. I would go through hundreds of user reviews (say on newegg for instance) and filter out the ones from overclockers b/c I simply am not into doing things like that. Once you systematically filter out user reviews, the truth usually reveals itself. May take a while, but it eventually does.

sponsored links

31,412 views & 0 likes for this thread
Man, most people don't know how to use cameras.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.