Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jun 2009 (Monday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Man, most people don't know how to use cameras.

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 08, 2009 17:20 |  #31

hairy_moth wrote in post #8073051 (external link)
You don't need a fancy camera or car to be an idiot. On the elevator today, a person mentioned that she went to a puppy farm in PA over the weekend. She mentioned that there was a group of about 7 "teacup size dogs" in one of the cages. The "Dog Expert" in the elevator said: "Those were the runts." he went on to explain: "Every liter has a runt that is much smaller than the other dogs. They just gathered up all of the runts from the various liters and put them in one cage." I bit my tongue.

OMG that is sooooooo funny!! Silly folks of course every living animal that has more than one is going to have a "runt" How can each one weigh the exact same size. Imagine if we used that term to woman who have twins or triplets!! Nobody ever wants the runts so would the woman give away her smaller baby LOL!! The word "runt" I thought really came from the animal "pig" Just to funny!:lol:

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,251 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2009 17:24 |  #32

tkbslc wrote in post #8072602 (external link)
There were many other examples, but I am sure I am preaching to the choir here. I just can't beleive so many people would spend $700-$3000 on a camera and then not even skim the manual.

I seem to recall something about the average person being able to read about the 6th grade level or somewhere like that. I think the average manual is too far beyond them so they don't even try.

OTOH, manuals aren't terrifically written either. The Jinglish is sometimes quite opaque in understandability. I can just imagine the quality of the Jitalian and the Jerman and the Frenpanese.

I just found this info on ACT.org website:
" About half of ACT-tested 2005 high school graduates lack at least some of these reading comprehension skills, based on ACT’s new College Readiness Benchmark in reading. ACT College Readiness Benchmarks are scores that indicate a student has a high probability (75 percent) of success in specific entry-level college courses. Success is defined as earning a grade of C or higher in the course.
ACT’s data show that students who score a 21 or higher on the ACT Reading Test are very likely to succeed in college-level social science courses. Only 51 percent of ACT-tested 2005 graduates reached or exceeded this score, suggesting that the other half of this fall’s college freshmen may struggle to keep up with the reading demands of many of their first-year college courses."

So 10% of the population goes to college, and only half of them have sufficient reading comprehension to get thru their college studies without difficulty. What does that indicate about the polulation in general?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 08, 2009 17:25 |  #33

There seems to be three types of consumers in the technology markets these days.

1 - Ones who buy the throw away camera/pc/dvd cause they just want to use it once and dont care about the quality of the device or its output.

2 - Ones who expect the camera/pc/dvd to be configured the way they want it out-of-the-box and send it back when it doesn't work the way they expected.

3 - People that read the manual and come to sites like this for help.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Mosca
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 08, 2009 18:19 |  #34

While I notice this, it's unremarkable to me. It's why my photos are better than theirs. And it's the same reason that there are lots of folks here with better photos than mine; because they know more about how to capture them than I do.

I'm here precisely because I bought an expensive camera and needed to justify the expense by learning how to use it. There will come a time, probably soon, when I'll decide that I know enough to get the shots I want. I'll have no regrets; that's why there are professional photographers, because it's a better use of my time and money to pay YOU to get that graduation shot, that prom shot, those wedding pictures. YOU have all that time invested, you earned it!

Their results are directly proportional to their investment, in time and money and interest. It is that way for everyone. There are things they can do that I can't, after all, because they invested what I wouldn't or couldn't.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,363 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 08, 2009 18:30 |  #35

I wonder how many people in this thread have ever appeared as idiots to other people in some other endeavor? :cool:

Having said that, I wonder about people using flash at stadiums too, even though it was years until somebody told me otherwise that I made the connection.

I do think that many people just don't *know*... either that it's useless and/or how to turn the flash off.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2009 18:34 |  #36

photoguy6405 wrote in post #8073695 (external link)
I wonder how many people in this thread have ever appeared as idiots to other people in some other endeavor? :cool:

My 14 year old tells me I look like an idiot in EVERY endeavor! :lol:

You bring up a good point, though, and I probably shouldn't judge people too harshly.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2009 18:57 |  #37

20droger wrote in post #8073090 (external link)
No, Roy. It's not the same thing at all. Those who post are, presumably, trying to communicate. Otherwise, why post at all?

By using such atrocious grammar, they are demonstrating that, in their minds, we are simply not worth the effort to even try to use effective communication tools. I find this highly insulting.

This is why I simply don't answer such posts, even when the correct answer to their problem is obvious to me. If they can't put forth an effort to communicate, why should I waste my time responding.

Now if a person tries, as do virtually all the non-English speakers, that is another thing entirely. Casual inspection of the post can readily determine the difference.

bw!

Christian

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 08, 2009 19:16 |  #38

Mosca wrote in post #8073643 (external link)
While I notice this, it's unremarkable to me. It's why my photos are better than theirs. And it's the same reason that there are lots of folks here with better photos than mine; because they know more about how to capture them than I do.

I don't doubt that they are indeed better. However, the same consumer we are talking about doesn't know or care about the difference. They only care in their perception of what is good, and that is the way it should be. I think this is why it is discussed, because generally the person buying the 1DMKII because they can, and not because they need to, would be supremely happy with a well shot picture from a decent P&S. It is only their perception that they need the most expensive gear to get such results, that soon parts them from their money.

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 08, 2009 19:19 |  #39

If you see a clueless person in green box mode with a Rebel and kit lens, you are most likely seeing a person who became frustrated with a P&S. The most common motivator is shutter lag. They can't stand the lag of their P&S so they get a dSLR. And you know what? It works. A dSLR in green box takes similar pictures with no annoying lag.

The ones doing the same thing with more expensive bodies are simply people for whom $2000 is not a great deal of money and who are used to buying the best. These people are easy to upsell.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2009 22:00 |  #40

JeffreyG wrote in post #8073938 (external link)
If you see a clueless person in green box mode with a Rebel and kit lens, you are most likely seeing a person who became frustrated with a P&S. The most common motivator is shutter lag. They can't stand the lag of their P&S so they get a dSLR. And you know what? It works. A dSLR in green box takes similar pictures with no annoying lag.

The ones doing the same thing with more expensive bodies are simply people for whom $2000 is not a great deal of money and who are used to buying the best. These people are easy to upsell.

Well said.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 22:06 |  #41

Now tell me why I shouldn't be offended by the term "Jinglish"?

If I say "Chinglish" around where I live, the Chinese folks around here would beat me to a pulp.

As for the stats, do you honestly thing standardized tests is a good measure of intelligence?

Wilt wrote in post #8073339 (external link)
I seem to recall something about the average person being able to read about the 6th grade level or somewhere like that. I think the average manual is too far beyond them so they don't even try.

OTOH, manuals aren't terrifically written either. The Jinglish is sometimes quite opaque in understandability. I can just imagine the quality of the Jitalian and the Jerman and the Frenpanese.

I just found this info on ACT.org website:
" About half of ACT-tested 2005 high school graduates lack at least some of these reading comprehension skills, based on ACT’s new College Readiness Benchmark in reading. ACT College Readiness Benchmarks are scores that indicate a student has a high probability (75 percent) of success in specific entry-level college courses. Success is defined as earning a grade of C or higher in the course.
ACT’s data show that students who score a 21 or higher on the ACT Reading Test are very likely to succeed in college-level social science courses. Only 51 percent of ACT-tested 2005 graduates reached or exceeded this score, suggesting that the other half of this fall’s college freshmen may struggle to keep up with the reading demands of many of their first-year college courses."

So 10% of the population goes to college, and only half of them have sufficient reading comprehension to get thru their college studies without difficulty. What does that indicate about the polulation in general?!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 22:08 |  #42

And if they have the money to drop money on something they don't really need, more power to them.

We could go on and on about this, but truth be told, those who complain about people with more expensive gear and less talent are just jealous.

Duncan Frenz wrote in post #8073929 (external link)
I don't doubt that they are indeed better. However, the same consumer we are talking about doesn't know or care about the difference. They only care in their perception of what is good, and that is the way it should be. I think this is why it is discussed, because generally the person buying the 1DMKII because they can, and not because they need to, would be supremely happy with a well shot picture from a decent P&S. It is only their perception that they need the most expensive gear to get such results, that soon parts them from their money.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2009 22:17 |  #43

DC Fan wrote in post #8073054 (external link)
From a $200 camera.

Of course, it's woefully irrational to suggest that a $200 refurbished Nikon Coolpix P80, which produced these images, can consistently match the product from a 21st-century DSLR. At the extremes of lighting and framing, along with color reproduction, a DSLR will work better. However, the main point about cameras, as suggested in this thread, is that the most important component is the person behind the viewfinder.

I think you missed my point. I was making the same point you did above but was indicating that some people take the above opinion to zealot levels and still think their photography is top notch and it's not.

I tell people to not buy gear and just go take pictures all the time...

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 08, 2009 22:23 |  #44

nicksan wrote in post #8074878 (external link)
And if they have the money to drop money on something they don't really need, more power to them.

We could go on and on about this, but truth be told, those who complain about people with more expensive gear and less talent are just jealous.

I don't think you read my posts. I said I couldn't care less what or why people spend their money on. I am no more jealous of the guy in his Porsche than I am of the guy with his Nikon D3X. I buy what I warrant is important to me and my circumstances. I also only expect to reach my potential in this life. I do not envy those that have more potential nor do I look down at those who may possess less. I couldn't be happier for those that can afford the best, regardless of their ability to use it. I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise. I don't use everything I own to its potential, but I certainly buy the best I can afford!

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2009 22:25 |  #45

nicksan wrote in post #8074878 (external link)

Ah, the old jealousy card is out.

Christian

sponsored links

31,396 views & 0 likes for this thread
Man, most people don't know how to use cameras.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.