Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jun 2009 (Monday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off Site Storage

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2009 22:15 |  #1

I have 50 GB of pics backed up on my ext. hard drive and feel they need to be backed up elsewhere as well. Any suggestions and can I just dump my "pictures" file to that place in one shot, or do I have to do it folder by folder?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jun 08, 2009 22:24 |  #2

Get a second external hard drive and back up to that and keep it at work or somewhere other than where the first drive is.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 08, 2009 22:24 |  #3

how fast is your internet? 50gb transferred from your home will take a long time and then how will you get it back in a disaster? what if the hosting site goes out of business?

have you considered just storing a second external hard-drive in an off-site location. i know some people will keep 1 onsite, and then use 2 additional drives which they rotate to their off-site location (so you end up swapping the off-site one back and forth).

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 09, 2009 13:00 |  #4

Make DVD copies and store them at work or your uncle's house.

GEAR LIST

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2009 17:26 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #5

Depends on how reliable you need the solution to be.

I use Mozy and with a 20% discount it was $87 for 27 months ($3/month).
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=704003

I don't trust DVD copies as fungus can grow on them, they can snap, get scratched, or be unreadable by the drive later in life. Would you trust a CD or DVD from 1999? Too many factors. What if you store your photos at Uncle Bob's house and then little Joey finds the DVD's and think they look like near little disposable frisbees? (however, lots of people go this route).

Anyway, I found that I could never compete with the data redundancy or protection environment employed by a commercial storage site like Mozy, Carbonite, Amazon S3, etc. I think I just read in Mozy's faq that they can withstand a 7.5 magnitude earthquake or something crazy. I didn't understand the data redundancy lingo they described their service as using; I'm really paying them to not have to worry about it :). If they go out of business--that's not an overnight event. You'll be able to download your data. Worse comes to worse, you'd have to get them to send your data on a Harddrive or on a bunch of DVDs. Downside is that it takes awhile to upload the data. I have mine running in the background. Afte rthe initial backup, it'll automatically backup any changes to the file system fairly quickly with scheduled nightly backups.

Remember, to each his own with this sort of thing. There are zero "right" answers. Nobody is going to tell you what is best for you, you're going to have to take our advice and come up with your own solution based on your needs, your budget, your own philosophy, and your priorities.

...and by the way -- I just had three hard drives fail in a row within three weeks of each other (brand new units, western digital 1.5TB green drives). It can really happen. I think it's great that you're thinking about backing your photos up before these failures happen. Don't put it off for too long :).

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,895 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 09, 2009 17:54 |  #6

minhi wrote in post #8074984 (external link)
what if the hosting site goes out of business?

And there was a recent article about exactly that happening, leaving its clients in a lurch with permanently lost data.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2009 18:12 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #8079889 (external link)
And there was a recent article about exactly that happening, leaving its clients in a lurch with permanently lost data.

Really? Yikes... Link?

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

Wilt
43,895 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 09, 2009 18:16 |  #8

SteveNC wrote in post #8079982 (external link)
Really? Yikes... Link?

I gotta find the article again in hardcopy form...recent publication, but not sure I still have it.

Just found this...not the same article, but the same theme and I think the same company

http://technologyinfo.​wordpress.com …ompanies-can-go-bankrupt/ (external link)

This story mentions numerous on line storage company problems, well before the current recession hit!:
http://news.zdnet.co.u​k …1000000097,2108​863,00.htm (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2009 18:18 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #8080006 (external link)
I gotta find the article again in hardcopy form...recent publication, but not sure I still have it.

Okay now I'm questioning this method of backup. Nothing is safe!

Wilt
43,895 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 09, 2009 18:29 |  #10

I always have questioned the 'safety' of on line storage off site services. Even from corporate giants...imagine GM offering storage services, what would happen there? At least you are more likely to not be left in a lurch, but transferred in a reasonable fashion rather than thrown in the data toilet!

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2009 18:34 |  #11

This is very true. I think the main idea people should come away with is that they should have multiple copies, in different locations, on different types of storage. For me, online is one solution that takes the place of having a DVD, or HD's in safety deposit boxes, or something along those lines. If Mozy goes out of business, it wouldn't be a problem because theoretically I'll have at least two other copies in other formats. Same thing goes for people choosing to use backup DVD's at Uncle Bob's house; if little Joey decides to play frisbee it shouldn't be the end of the world.

sponsored links

1,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off Site Storage
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.