Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 L Mk II (a Stealthy Prophecy)

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 20, 2009 05:36 |  #16

Thanks SN, a new 24-70mm with IS and other features would probably make me buy one :) Dot get me wrong, I like my 24-105mm but an extra stop would be awesome :P

Bring it on! " The Brick Mark II "

davewolfs: That's not funny in any way, in fact its the damn multimillion dollar corps that helped put us in this mess are the ones that got the bailout, not the "Low Income" working family.

And why should it be a joke that a lower income family could afford a 5DII now? If a paperboy can save his meager earnings to buy a car then why cant a hard working lower class family or individual do the same?

I just wrote a lot more probably enough to stretch into a page. #2 but I dont want to eat up SN's thread with my feelings any more than I have already.

-Eric-

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 20, 2009 05:46 |  #17

If they're putting out a new brick with IS I'm getting one - not even a question.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Ovany
49 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 20, 2009 07:05 |  #18

Just looking to buy one, I ill keep my eyes peeled for an update before I hand over my hard earned cash.

5d Mk2 | Canon 17-40 F4L| | Canon 70-200 F2.8L

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 21, 2009 09:40 |  #19

S.Horton wrote in post #8108074 (external link)
I do not see anything wrong with the 24-70 as it is!

What could they do to it?

IS?

I'm quite fond of mine, though there has been talk about there being some "less-than-stellar" copies around. I would think that Canon would probably develop one with IS and with perhaps some tweaked optical formula to gain consistency.

It's pretty hard to beat a good copy of the present version now - for a zoom, it offers low distortion, low flare, and good general sharpness even wide open. Bokeh is decent as well. Plus a hood that actually gives good coverage across the zoom range.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,883 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Jun 21, 2009 23:16 |  #20

Tom W wrote in post #8148087 (external link)
Bokeh is decent as well.

That's one area I LOVE this lens... the bokeh is better than any zoom I've ever seen... better than most primes, but a hair behind good L primes.

As far as the hood goes, I think the design is ingenious (Nikon even copied Canon with their new lens). I've never had flare problems with the current hood, on 1.3x crop. Does it not cover properly on a FF camera?

EOS R - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 22, 2009 00:42 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

I think the fact that the 24-70 HSM from Sigma "beats" the L would make Canon work hard to "beat" the Sigma. ;)

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 22, 2009 02:18 |  #22

I think we should all put bets down on Stealthy Ninja for his predicting skills.
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped |17-55mm F2.8 IS | 35mm F1.4 | 60mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 22, 2009 05:22 |  #23

Yes the new Sigma 24-70 EX HSM beats the current Canon 24-70L optically...but can it focus as well? I've owned a lot of Sigma glass over the years and most of them can't focus as fast or as accuarately as Canon's finest. Then there's the matter of flare control, which in my opionion, Sigma still haven't cracked. Plus their hoods are generally rubbish compared to Canon's...which is probably why they are free.
The older non HSM 24-70 was slightly superior to the Canon L lens too, which brings me to my next point: If I shoot 2 images side by side, one from the Canon and one from the Sigma...will anyone notice that the Sigma is slightly better optically? I doubt it, because the Canon isn't that far behind. Which is quite admirable considering that it is the original 24-70/2.8 lens and therefore the oldest.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youÒ’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 22, 2009 09:52 |  #24

drisley wrote in post #8151371 (external link)
That's one area I LOVE this lens... the bokeh is better than any zoom I've ever seen... better than most primes, but a hair behind good L primes.

As far as the hood goes, I think the design is ingenious (Nikon even copied Canon with their new lens). I've never had flare problems with the current hood, on 1.3x crop. Does it not cover properly on a FF camera?

The hood works well on full frame, for which the lens was designed. Comparisons I've seen show less light falloff at f/2.8 and 24 mm than the 24-105 has at f/4 and 24 mm (both wide open).

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,883 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Jun 22, 2009 13:31 |  #25

Doh, oh yes, right, on FF, the hood is great, I guess problems may arise on a 1.6x crop.

As far as the Sigma is concerned... how new is this lens? My friend and I did a comparison of his new Sigma 24-70 last year and compared to my 24-70L and the Canon beat it in every single category . He thought his Sigma was a great lens, but after this day of shooting, he sold it soon after and got a Canon.

EOS R - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 22, 2009 16:44 |  #26

S.Horton wrote in post #8108490 (external link)
I think the only reason to update the Ls is to prepare for the next generation of sensors which could out-resolve them.

Well actually the current sensors can give most of these lenses a run for the money..Theres very few of the non-primes that can keep up with the 5D Mk2 and the 50D...

The 24-70 is one that struggles a little....the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is another sadly..

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 23, 2009 00:15 |  #27

I question this- seeing as how the 24-70 I bought two weeks ago has a UX05 - May 2009 - date code.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 23, 2009 00:48 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

mikekelley wrote in post #8157499 (external link)
I question this- seeing as how the 24-70 I bought two weeks ago has a UX05 - May 2009 - date code.

:shock:

I guess you call that an extended warranty. ;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2009 02:08 |  #29

I love my 24-70 L and I could definitely see myself getting an updated version of this lens. If your prediction is right SN, I'll ask you to buy me one. :)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2009 02:25 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

I've seen you're knife fighting videos.... lucky I'm all the way over here. ;)

sponsored links

32,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 L Mk II (a Stealthy Prophecy)
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.