Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 L Mk II (a Stealthy Prophecy)

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 23, 2009 02:26 |  #31

someone wanna buy my Mark1...lol

i mean i dont think IS is necessary, but if it comes out with it, im pretty sure it would be pretty bada$$

it wouldnt be the "Brick" anymore, esp with a 3stop IS, it can be renamed "Cinder Block"

hahahaha

thanx for the heads up SN!

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

sponsored links
roli_bark
918 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 23, 2009 02:30 |  #32

I wish that a Mark-II version will have:
1. A better (consistent) QA
2. IS

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 23, 2009 02:44 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Just want everyone to know... this is a prediction (not set in stone) based on observations.

Don't sell your 24-70Ls right now. ;)

One of these days I'll go chat to the dude at Canon. He's usually good for some "hints" on these things.

My guess is that there are people out there (under Non-disclosure agreements) that know about the up and coming lenses.

How Canon keeps them quiet I don't know?! Must be one heck of a piece of paper!

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2009 04:31 |  #34

Do that, SN. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Canon in March. I am still waiting on half of it. My 24-70L arrived within about 4 days.

Since that time, my store mentioned that they've now got about 5 backorders. ATM I am queitly cheering to myself cause it has hardly left the front of my camera, but I will be a teeny tiny trifling bit sad if they all get a new mark II version.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 23, 2009 04:40 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

I'm currently saving to get a 70-200 2.8L IS and a 16-35 2.8 mkii

I'm hesitant to get the 70-200 because I have a sneaking suspicion that a replacement for that lens will be announced around August. Though, that lens is pretty easy to get here, so maybe not.

Some time this week I might go to work via TST (that's where the Canon centre is in Hong Kong). I'll see if the nice guy is there and I'll have a little chat with him.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2009 05:18 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

Seems this thread is spreading around a bit:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new​_lenses.html (external link)

For me, this is a hard time to buy a new lens. I just wish Canon would announce its new lenses sooner... but then, you don't want to have to wait another 6 months for the lens to finally get in stock. ;)

Especially since Canon have sort of out resolved a lot of its current L lenses (with the 5Dmkii) and there are some holes in their lineup in a way.

I think the following lenses will be announced soonish to go with the 1D mk4 release.

14-24 2.8L (Canon's answer to the Nikon 14-24... because Canon can't have people buying a Nikon lens to put on their cameras ;) ).
24-70 2.8L (I suspect the 1Ds4 will well out resolve this lens and it seems like a nice "kit" lens for it).
70-200 2.8L IS (a lot of people say the f/4 IS version is better... which is true in that it's sharper and has better IS)
100-400 IS (though this has improved lately - in terms of QQ - it is due for an update in many people's opinion).

That's it I think.... probably some lower end lenses too, maybe some new EF-S lenses, but I'm not too interested in that. ;)

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 23, 2009 11:19 |  #37

oh wow i would totally dig a new 70-200-2.8IS and the 14-24!

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 23, 2009 11:37 |  #38

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8158226 (external link)
Seems this thread is spreading around a bit:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new​_lenses.html (external link)

For me, this is a hard time to buy a new lens. I just wish Canon would announce its new lenses sooner... but then, you don't want to have to wait another 6 months for the lens to finally get in stock. ;)

Especially since Canon have sort of out resolved a lot of its current L lenses (with the 5Dmkii) and there are some holes in their lineup in a way.

I think the following lenses will be announced soonish to go with the 1D mk4 release.

14-24 2.8L (Canon's answer to the Nikon 14-24... because Canon can't have people buying a Nikon lens to put on their cameras ;) ).
24-70 2.8L (I suspect the 1Ds4 will well out resolve this lens and it seems like a nice "kit" lens for it).
70-200 2.8L IS (a lot of people say the f/4 IS version is better... which is true in that it's sharper and has better IS)
100-400 IS (though this has improved lately - in terms of QQ - it is due for an update in many people's opinion).

That's it I think.... probably some lower end lenses too, maybe some new EF-S lenses, but I'm not too interested in that. ;)

what?? no 200-400 f/4L IS?

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 23, 2009 11:59 |  #39

lukeap69 wrote in post #8159777 (external link)
what?? no 200-400 f/4L IS?

should be a 200-600 f4 L IS

but i figured the price would jump a lot from the current 100-400

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 23, 2009 12:57 as a reply to  @ kandyredcoi's post |  #40

Personally, I'm waiting for the 10-1000 f/1.0 DO IS USM.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

k_wakasugi
943 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 23, 2009 13:05 |  #41

And a flatbed truck to carry it with?

FS: 85 1.8 w/hood - $300!!!
1D Mark II - This is my Canon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Gear List

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 23, 2009 14:23 |  #42

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8157930 (external link)
How Canon keeps them quiet I don't know?!

Canon has a Ninja staff as well....

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2009 23:11 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

tgara wrote in post #8160190 (external link)
Personally, I'm waiting for the 10-1000 f/1.0 DO IS USM.

LOL good luck with that. Better invest in cryogenics. ;)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 24, 2009 03:14 as a reply to  @ Stealthy Ninja's post |  #44

I wonder if there will ever be another DO lens?

I mean from what i understand, the large disadvantage is poor contrast, which is easily fixed in digital post process

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 24, 2009 06:19 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

Tom W wrote in post #8160649 (external link)
Canon has a Ninja staff as well....

Duh! They're ....japanese...or chinese...I think

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

32,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 L Mk II (a Stealthy Prophecy)
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.