Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Jun 2009 (Monday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 7 - And Still Going! Still Friendly and Still The BEST!

this thread is locked
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 03, 2010 20:25 |  #9526

Oh yeah, Iris starts soon. I'm not going. I might go to one, one day. I didn't even go to the Wellington one. I'm not really all that interested in what the locals are doing, I look further afield.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 03, 2010 21:41 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #9527

Now heard from friends and family - my lot are all safe and sound - only real damage so far is stuff falling off shelves/walls.

Even with the damage thats being reported it sounds like christchurch has been very very lucky not to have a lot more problems given the reported size of the quake.

Thoughts out to those that have been seriously impacted..

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 03, 2010 21:55 |  #9528

Had those city center buildings been ful of saturday shoppers it would have been a mess.

Another aftershock as I type...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

TMCCaptured
529 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2010 03:02 |  #9529

tim wrote in post #10846506 (external link)
Oh yeah, Iris starts soon. I'm not going. I might go to one, one day. I didn't even go to the Wellington one. I'm not really all that interested in what the locals are doing, I look further afield.

:lol:

I am going for the skiing and a few drinks

Why Die Wondering?

Raikyn
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 04, 2010 05:21 |  #9530

RobDickinson wrote in post #10846864 (external link)
Had those city center buildings been ful of saturday shoppers it would have been a mess.

Another aftershock as I type...

Yeah if there could ever be a best time to have an earthquake, that was it.

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 04, 2010 06:28 |  #9531

Hey all, at a friends house as my house has no power, no water no phone and seems to be on a large pile of Gello that wont stop wobbling!! The house that I once loved and was so proud off now has cracks in every wall, the doors are jammed as they were (open/closed) My entire yard is covered in some grey silty crap, well the areas that dont have gaping 1m holes anyway! I really just don't want to go there ever again right now.

Mrs B and I dived under the bed like good earthquake victims and just hung on for dear life, the other side of the wall right behind our heads (outside) has totally caved, I can't help but think how close that really was!

Our neighbourhood used to have tar seal roads, its now, umm... well lets just say the pot hole people will be bloody busy!

I handled the day mostly well, but have had 2 hours sleep, a splitting headache all day that no amount of codiene has eased, stuff all food and a prick of a day to be honest and am just starting to lose the plot somewhat.

I was also informed 20 mins ago that the Napier earthquake was actually destroyed by a second bigger quake 10 days after the first, that will sure help me sleep easy tonight...

Anyway, we are alive and mostly unscathed, thats the main thing, Mrs B is on her way here now after doing a long shift after the nights events, no food and 2 hours sleep... I'll go scrape her off the drive way.

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 04, 2010 06:35 |  #9532

Good to hear you're ok Mark. No power, no water, but internet. On the upside, insurance will make you a new house. Try to hold in there, things will come right, it just might take a little time. If you've gota get out I have no free bedrooms in my place but I have a mattress and a warm dry lounge that you're welcome to.

Meanwhile, in Wellington, 550 shots with my new cameras today and so far I haven't found one out of focus. The worst i've found is a bit of camera shake on one image at 1/50th 70mm.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 04, 2010 07:21 |  #9533

Sancho wrote in post #10848342 (external link)
Hey all, at a friends house as my house has no power, no water no phone and seems to be on a large pile of Gello that wont stop wobbling!! The house that I once loved and was so proud off now has cracks in every wall, the doors are jammed as they were (open/closed) My entire yard is covered in some grey silty crap, well the areas that dont have gaping 1m holes anyway! I really just don't want to go there ever again right now.

Mrs B and I dived under the bed like good earthquake victims and just hung on for dear life, the other side of the wall right behind our heads (outside) has totally caved, I can't help but think how close that really was!

Our neighbourhood used to have tar seal roads, its now, umm... well lets just say the pot hole people will be bloody busy!

I handled the day mostly well, but have had 2 hours sleep, a splitting headache all day that no amount of codiene has eased, stuff all food and a prick of a day to be honest and am just starting to lose the plot somewhat.

I was also informed 20 mins ago that the Napier earthquake was actually destroyed by a second bigger quake 10 days after the first, that will sure help me sleep easy tonight...

Anyway, we are alive and mostly unscathed, thats the main thing, Mrs B is on her way here now after doing a long shift after the nights events, no food and 2 hours sleep... I'll go scrape her off the drive way.

OMG.. That sounds horrendous.

Good to hear you aren't injures, but that suxs about your house garden etc. Hope you can get it sorted.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

Raikyn
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 04, 2010 07:23 |  #9534

Keep well Mr B(Sancho, how did that name ever come up) :)

I've been keeping in touch with my sister/brother and their families in christchurch. Fortunately they all seem to be fine, with only minor damage.
My bro-in-law down there trained as a builder a few years back and he has been helping neighbours mainly dismantle their chimneys so they can hopefully rest a bit easier tonight.
My niece at canty uni in the halls was a bit shock up this morning, her parents got a phone call a 5am this morning. She and other students were out helping people at New Brighton this afternoon though. So it sounds like the youngsters are doing what they can to help as well :)

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,911 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 04, 2010 17:15 as a reply to  @ Raikyn's post |  #9535

Happy Fathers day to all us Dads

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

amitch
365 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 04, 2010 19:18 as a reply to  @ post 10846459 |  #9536

A few from around us in Hoon Hay.

Mud as a result of liquefaction.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Cashmere Rd near Halswell
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Halswell
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Bugger!
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Cheers Alex.....

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 04, 2010 21:38 |  #9537

Glad to hear that all the folks down south are alright, all the best for the clean up and recovery and a happy fathers day to all the dads out there.

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 04, 2010 23:33 |  #9538

Sancho wrote in post #10848342 (external link)

Good to hear you and Mrs.B are alright. Hang in there...

Happy father's day to Tony, Duncan, Scott, Pete, Dave, and whomever else is a dad. Hope you were pampered or got new toys. I have tonnes of chocolate!!! :lol:

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 05, 2010 00:21 |  #9539

Thoughts to all of you guys & gals in Chch region.
Hope it doesn't take long to get back to normality and that you weren't hit to badly financially.
It made it to the news here in Germany so you're famous!

Thanks John.
Actually we celebrate fathers day on another date here. Funny but Mothers day is the same date.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 05, 2010 02:09 |  #9540

IMAGE: http://www.markbennett.co.nz/photos/personal/Quake/14.jpg

A bunch more here - (external link)

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

sponsored links

702,091 views & 0 likes for this thread
GKPE 7 - And Still Going! Still Friendly and Still The BEST!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.