Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2009 (Friday) 11:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DII and 16 gb card ?

Rodinal
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2009 11:36 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Can I use a Kingston 16 GB SDHC card on my 1DII ?
For now I use 8 GB cards.

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

sponsored links
Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 19, 2009 11:37 |  #2

Want to know about this as well.

But anyway, whats wrong with 8 gig cards? You go through them so quickly?

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Rodinal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2009 11:50 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

No no, 8 GB is plenty. I have only one and I feel it's plenty.

Long story put short: I'm going to Europe, so I bought a Canon PowerShot SD 1200 IS. I'll be making back-ups every day using my laptop, so 8 GB is plenty even for a one month long Europee trip. But there's a lot of romanians & co. roaming in the cities, and although I'll be using my 1DII most of the time, I'll sometimes need the PowerShot.

In the process of looking for a SD card, I came across a very cheap Kingston 16 GB on craigslist, and I was wondering if I could do the switch and leave my 8 GB into the PowerShot.

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

cadams
984 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 19, 2009 12:34 as a reply to  @ Rodinal's post |  #4

I think you should be good. As long as you have the newest firmware update.

http://www.ccaphotos.c​om (external link)

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 19, 2009 14:02 as a reply to  @ cadams's post |  #5

I just got back from Europe on a two-week trip. Used my 50D w/17-55 f2.8 lens. Shot RAW+JPEG. Used 2 ea 16GB CF, 2 ea 8GB CF, plus 1 ea 4GB CF. Brought a total of about 20 memory cards (4GB CF)...just in case.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 19, 2009 14:10 |  #6

Rodinal wrote in post #8138974 (external link)
In the process of looking for a SD card, I came across a very cheap Kingston 16 GB on craigslist, and I was wondering if I could do the switch and leave my 8 GB into the PowerShot.

Sorry, 16GB+kingston=possible disaster. If it's truely cheap (half of b&h), the possibility it has corruption problems is high, and in essence you would be buying something that deletes your photos for you (even when you don't want it to). Stick to sandisk/lexar if you are getting large cards, peace of mind will be worth much more than the money you save.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Rodinal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2009 15:53 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Really?
I thought Kingston had a stellar reputation in RAM. So do they really suck at SD cards?

I never feel comfortable carrying around SD cards, be it cheap or expensive, which is why I always back-up on DVDs at the end of the day. I don't want to buy multiple cards for a trip... I only want two: one for each camera. Call it paranoia, I'm fine, I always have my laptop with me.

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 19, 2009 15:57 |  #8

Kingston does have a stellar reputation in any form of solid state memory. They manufacture their own chips as well, leading to a slightly lower price because they aren't buying in bulk and then doing a second fab run, it's all in house. Sandisk/Lexar just repackage other manufacturers chips; I believe they use Micron chips, but those also have a stellar reputation, far better than any other manufacturer out there.

James

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 19, 2009 16:49 |  #9

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8140350 (external link)
Kingston does have a stellar reputation in any form of solid state memory. They manufacture their own chips as well, leading to a slightly lower price because they aren't buying in bulk and then doing a second fab run, it's all in house. Sandisk/Lexar just repackage other manufacturers chips; I believe they use Micron chips, but those also have a stellar reputation, far better than any other manufacturer out there.

Sandisk makes their own controllers and use samsung memory chips. Problem with kingston is that they don't use the most structurally sound controllers, both in ram and solid state memory (sorry, ram is not solid state memory since it is active). Sometimes you get pieces that work to specs, sometimes they make something that works fine for a bit then dies, and sometimes you're left over with the worst of the worst and a warranty that costs more to use than the cards themselves.

If you have your laptop, get a 2gb card for your p&s and call it a day. If you really need more space you can get a cheap external pocket drive for a fraction of the cost. On my last trip, I took >50gb of photos+video (mainly photo though), so i got a few 8gb (3 in addition to another 3 8gb cards i had and a 12gb, which were all extreme iii) ultra ii for what ends up being about 55 bucks after rebate, but that's because I had no access to computers for two weeks, and the 1dmkiii on raw is a freaking beast (12mb min, 18mb max).

EDIT: And according to wiki (and the book sitting in my bookshelf they stole that quote from):"A solid-state drive (SSD) is a data storage device that uses solid-state memory to store persistent data." My assumption (due to your lack of clarification and Rodinal's comment on Kingston RAM (DRAM) just before it) was that you used RAM in the sense of DRAM, which would make it not persistent. I am fully aware what solid state means, and am sad to inform you that you are wrong in your "correction". The only reason why HDDs are not solid state is that it has moving parts, a platter, read head, etc; it has nothing to do with magnetic or not. Take Fe-RAM for example (or the macro-scale version that NASA used in the Apollo program as the read only memory for the OS and other programs on the capsules), it is magnetic random access memory, and considered one of the technologies that will replace flash memory in the future. Guess what? It's solid state too ;)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 19, 2009 16:53 |  #10

basroil wrote in post #8140579 (external link)
Sandisk makes their own controllers and use samsung memory chips. Problem with kingston is that they don't use the most structurally sound controllers, both in ram and solid state memory (sorry, ram is not solid state memory since it is active). Sometimes you get pieces that work to specs, sometimes they make something that works fine for a bit then dies, and sometimes you're left over with the worst of the worst and a warranty that costs more to use than the cards themselves.

Ah okay, good to know. And RAM is solid state memory; solid state simply means that it's transistor based, not magnetic. It's not the same as NAND RAM though, which is what a flash stick is. Note that it's still RAM. ;)

James

Ron ­ Lacey
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 19, 2009 16:55 |  #11

Rodinal wrote in post #8138900 (external link)
Can I use a Kingston 16 GB SDHC card on my 1DII ?
For now I use 8 GB cards.

I use the same card in my 1DMKIIn works fine.

Ron

Ron Lacey, Skwerl Wrangler and Deer Whisperer
Boreal Photography (external link)
FlickRiver (external link)
Bodies, Lenses, strobes and pixels!

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 19, 2009 16:57 |  #12

I use all brands of 16gig cards in my 1D2 without any problems.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links

1,492 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DII and 16 gb card ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.