Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 04:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wedding packages for approval?

hofajoab
208 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2009 04:16 |  #1

I haven't posted in a long time unfortunately, just been really busy since setting up my Photography business about 10 months ago.

I'm trying to narrow my work down to weddings and portraiture only, with the emphasis being on weddings. I've done two small weddings so far but I'm really enjoying it, I really think it's the way forward for me. I've got another wedding on the 3rd July which I'm looking forward to, taking place in a small but nice venue.

I've recently had more requests for wedding packages & prices so I thought it's time to set something up.

Just to let you know were I want to be in the market I'll list a few things first(to keep it simple):

Mid-High Price Range & known for quality:

Don't want to be known as a budget photographer, also, even if I did, the competition at that level is vast! due to everyone/anyone with a camera with the idea they'll do cheap weddings.

I want to provide top quality albums (Jorgensen, in fact) as I think presentation can say almost as much as the photographs themselves - I would rather have them awe-struck by a fine album than have them 'unsure' over lesser ones.

I do it for the 'art' and not so much the money (still work PT at a good rate with the option of going FT again any time I want), so it's not just as a money spinner, although, in time I do hope to be able to support myself with photography alone.

So that's the main points there as to why and where I want to be/go with it, so here's my proposed packages at the moment. They haven't been sent publicised yet so and ideas/changes would be considered.

---------------

Before the big day I'm offering an engagement session with any of the packages for the obvious benefits of getting to know them, getting them comfortable in front of the lens, working out some good ideas, etc.. they'll also receive a 6-page 'classic folio' (jorgensen) album afterwards.

Silver Package

Coverage: Ceremony, Reception and up to 2 hours after first dance.
Album: 12"x12" or 12"x9" (Panoramic) Jorgensen album including 15 double sided pages containing 30-60 images.

Price: £850

Gold Package

Coverage: Bridal Preparations, Ceremony, Reception and up to 2 hours after first dance.
Album: 14"x14" or 12"x10" (Panoramic) Jorgensen album including 20 double sided pages containing 40-80 images.
Extras: DVD slideshow.

Price £1200

Platinum Package

Coverage: Bride & Groom Preparations, Ceremony, Reception and up to 4 hours after first dance.
Album: 16"x16" or 16"x12" (Panoramic) Jorgensen album including 30 double sided pages containing an unlimited number of images.
Parent Albums: Two Jorgensen Classic Folio albums containing 10 pages and up to 15 images.
Extras: DVD slideshow.

Price: £1700

As I'll be using film the overheads are a bit higher and as such the profit margin is down a bit, so I'm not making a great deal at those prices but those prices do fall into the mid-high range for my area. I'm hoping to increase those prices in the future, all be it, gradually, or even start charging for hte engagement session eventually and possibly even just put a 'deal spin' on them being free at the moment.

Just after your thoughts on anything I've perhaps missed out or even any ideas on coverage times, number of images etc etc - just want to make sure it's reasonable and 'tight'.

Thanks.

http://www.pughphotogr​aphy.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
jongobongo
167 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 20, 2009 10:25 |  #2

Can you elaborate on your time? This is the first time I've seen the packages written like this.
Since you're shooting with film, this will factor in heavily to your overhead costs. I'm not sure what the average number of hours each section (Bride & Groom Preparations, Ceremony, Reception) usually takes in your market, remember to also add in portrait time... (i.e. bride/groom shots, family portraits, cocktail hour)

Blog (external link)
Caroline Tran (external link)
Los Angeles Wedding Photography

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 20, 2009 21:26 |  #3

I would specify overall time, not time after the first dance. I always leave with 30 minutes or the first dance, as over here that's when it typically turns into a big party, and having a pro photog with big cameras around feels to me like it stifles things.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

hofajoab
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 21, 2009 04:32 |  #4

Good idea, it would be in my best interest to state and overall time like both of you say. I'll change that aspect of the packages as it makes more sense.

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 22, 2009 07:25 |  #5

Yeah, 4 hours after first dance is crazy overkill, nothing much happens there, the dance floor generally fills up right after 1st dance so hang around for 30 mins to get some shots then hit the road. The only reason I'd hang around longer is to play around with dragging the shutter going for that 1 in 100 perfect shot, but if you're shooting film that's not really an option.

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

hofajoab
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 22, 2009 07:39 |  #6

I've changed the e-session album to a 30x20 canvas

I've changed the packages to have the same coverage - from bride prep. to 2nd-3rd dance.

Changed the number of images to a maximum mount rather than a 'between' amount, also put a limit on the amount for the platinum package.

Also offered a CD for use for them to create prints for friends and family. I still retain copyrights and will set a maximum print size also.

Anyway, I think now I have what I'm looking for. They've got the option to refine their package, too so I guess I'll work it out.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2009 10:20 |  #7

I think it's a US/Europe thing as I see non-US photographers typically list the day as ending within an hour of the start of the reception. The general expectation in the states is to stay for the entire party. Not only does the cake, boquet, and garter happen late, the couples are very anxious for pictures of their party; the wilder, the better. Not relavant here, but just thought I'd mention it.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links

1,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
My wedding packages for approval?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.