Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 20 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 06:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slide Rock Narrows Morning Light

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 06:09 |  #1

Shot this at the narrows portion downstream of Slide Rock State Park near Sedona during early morning light. 30-second exposure taken with 5D2, 24-105L and Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter.

IMAGE: http://northlake.smugmug.com/photos/568629820_SLfrJ-XL.jpg

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
CarDogg13
32 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 07:17 |  #2

Wow, beautiful shot!

50D | XT | 17-55mm f/2.8IS | 70-200mm f/4L | 18-55mm f/4

spurious
35 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 20, 2009 07:22 |  #3

I like the top portion, but the water is so extremely harsh my eye gets drawn there and the niceness of the top portion is lost.

argyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 07:32 |  #4

spurious wrote in post #8143100 (external link)
I like the top portion, but the water is so extremely harsh my eye gets drawn there and the niceness of the top portion is lost.

Not sure what you mean by "extremely harsh"? Too bright? Too busy? Too flat? The only PP done to the RAW file was a capture sharpen, levels adjust, and a re-size (never touched saturation or color levels). I tried to set it up whereby the eye is drawn into the water, along the cliff base, and then down the creek to the narrows. Can you be a little more specific? Maybe then I can make a tweak if necessary. Thanks.

GEAR LIST

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2009 07:35 |  #5

I really like the detail of the rocks and vegetation of the top part of the image and the blur of the reflection in the water while maintaining the colors. Not your typical "mirror" image you see so often.

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

argyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 07:48 |  #6

shack wrote in post #8143150 (external link)
I really like the detail of the rocks and vegetation of the top part of the image and the blur of the reflection in the water while maintaining the colors. Not your typical "mirror" image you see so often.

Thanks. I was actually trying to get the "glass" effect on the water, but there was enough of a breeze coming down the canyon where 8-stops of ND and a warming polarizer with 30-second exposure just couldn't smooth out the water any more than it did. I took about six shots, with 30-sec being the longest. First time using the Vari-N-Duo filter for any length of time...the warming polarizer does produce a different effect (added richness) than a standard polarizer, which could account for what appears to be extra brightness on the water. But this is basically how the scene looked at 6am.

GEAR LIST

spurious
35 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 20, 2009 07:53 |  #7

argyle wrote in post #8143137 (external link)
Not sure what you mean by "extremely harsh"? Too bright? Too busy? Too flat? The only PP done to the RAW file was a capture sharpen, levels adjust, and a re-size (never touched saturation or color levels). I tried to set it up whereby the eye is drawn into the water, along the cliff base, and then down the creek to the narrows. Can you be a little more specific? Maybe then I can make a tweak if necessary. Thanks.

The problem I'm having with the water is if it appears to have a motion blur applied to it. I understand that this is just a consequence of the photographic style (done in camera with long exposure), however the fact remains that the reflections all appear to be pulled down, this creates visual noise and directs the eye downwards. It's also in such harsh contrast to the crisp clean top portion it makes for a somewhat unpleasant viewing experience. The same water and effect framed to only take 1/3 or 1/4 of the photo would be preferable.

argyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 07:59 |  #8

spurious wrote in post #8143215 (external link)
The problem I'm having with the water is if it appears to have a motion blur applied to it. I understand that this is just a consequence of the photographic style (done in camera with long exposure), however the fact remains that the reflections all appear to be pulled down, this creates visual noise and directs the eye downwards. It's also in such harsh contrast to the crisp clean top portion it makes for a somewhat unpleasant viewing experience. The same water and effect framed to only take 1/3 or 1/4 of the photo would be preferable.

Thanks. Maybe I'll play with a crop line that falls just below the small rock that's in the water, and the bit of green that's just below it. Appreciate the feedback. With the larger 5D2 files, cropping shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, here's the crop...

IMAGE: http://northlake.smugmug.com/photos/568858814_MdnLk-XL.jpg

GEAR LIST

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2009 08:14 |  #9

The aspects spurious finds objectionable are the very things I find pleasing and unique in this image.

Different strokes....

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

argyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 08:25 |  #10

shack wrote in post #8143261 (external link)
The aspects spurious finds objectionable are the very things I find pleasing and unique in this image.

Different strokes....

You're exactly right...maybe I should take a poll. :D

GEAR LIST

Marcy
Goldmember
1,752 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 20, 2009 09:15 |  #11

like the 2nd crop better - great place to shoot went there earlier this spring was disappointed that the gates were closed until 8am - would have like to get in much earlier to set up a long exposure without too much sun

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2009 09:18 |  #12

argyle wrote in post #8143286 (external link)
You're exactly right...maybe I should take a poll. :D

Unless you are trying to sell it...the only thing that matters is what YOU like.

argyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 11:10 |  #13

Marcy wrote in post #8143461 (external link)
like the 2nd crop better - great place to shoot went there earlier this spring was disappointed that the gates were closed until 8am - would have like to get in much earlier to set up a long exposure without too much sun

Really? We just parked the truck on the main road, walked about a 1/2-mile or so, then climbed down just at the edge of the bridge (at least for Slide Rock). To shoot the narrows, we crossed the street, climbed down a steep embankment, then down a trail to the creek. Never met a gate... It gets light early in Sedona, and we were shooting by 5:30am up until about 7:30am. After that, the sun gets too high above the cliffs to get any reflections. Lots of shooting opportunities in the area...

GEAR LIST

argyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2009 11:14 |  #14

shack wrote in post #8143475 (external link)
Unless you are trying to sell it...the only thing that matters is what YOU like.

Actually, a potential business client has expressed interest in my putting together a Southwest US calendar for them to hand out at trade shows, so I have that to consider. Considering just how many trade shows that this client attends, it could add up to several thousand calendars. And TBH, I'm starting to prefer the cropped version myself. :D

GEAR LIST

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jun 20, 2009 11:29 |  #15

I prefer the first version....something not quite right with the crop. I think it is the small amount of water under the rocks at the right edge...perhaps if the shot were cropped right to the waterline.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sponsored links

2,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slide Rock Narrows Morning Light
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.