Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 23 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting a compact for mostly video (thinking Canon SD780)?

Rocktoe
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2009 15:14 |  #1

Hi guys, I need your expertise.
I'm thinking of getting a compact that I can carry in my pocket ALWAYS. I would use it for shooting mostly hd video whenever the mood strikes, so the tiny Powershot SD780 seems to be a logical choice.

Is there anything else that I should consider for the same price?

Look behind you! A three-lensed camera!

450D | Sigma EF 530 DG ST Flash | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon 70-200 f2.8L |

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2009 15:20 |  #2

I would recommend the SD960. It has a wider angle lens, larger screen, and a bit sharper lens than the 780. It is only a tiny bit bigger and still very pocketable.

The 970 has a bit longer lens if that is more your style.

Also, the Sony w290 is a great option and has better specs and price than any of the Canon HD offerings, but requires silly Sony memory cards.

The ultimate is the Panasonic ZS3 - 25mm wideangle, 12x zoom, zoom during video, AVCHD compression, etc, but it is $400 and not quite as small.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Rocktoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2009 16:03 |  #3

tkbslc wrote in post #8160980 (external link)
I would recommend the SD960. It has a wider angle lens, larger screen, and a bit sharper lens than the 780. It is only a tiny bit bigger and still very pocketable.

The 970 has a bit longer lens if that is more your style.

Also, the Sony w290 is a great option and has better specs and price than any of the Canon HD offerings, but requires silly Sony memory cards.

The ultimate is the Panasonic ZS3 - 25mm wideangle, 12x zoom, zoom during video, AVCHD compression, etc, but it is $400 and not quite as small.

Thanks for the rundown. My budget is limited, so the Panasonic is probably out... Sony memory cards are a no-no as well, but I wonder if there is an adapter I could use to utilize my SDHC cards?

450D | Sigma EF 530 DG ST Flash | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon 70-200 f2.8L |

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2009 16:09 |  #4

Rocktoe wrote in post #8161231 (external link)
but I wonder if there is an adapter I could use to utilize my SDHC cards?

Sadly, no.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Rocktoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2009 16:15 |  #5

tkbslc wrote in post #8161256 (external link)
Sadly, no.

Oh well, no Sony for me then. ;)

Rocktoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2009 16:59 as a reply to  @ Rocktoe's post |  #6

I don't know if I would benefit of any SD970/980 features over SD780 since none of the cameras allow zoom during video. I think that all extra zoom range might go to waste in my use. :confused:

StephenHutchinson
87 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 24, 2009 22:41 as a reply to  @ Rocktoe's post |  #7

I waited awhile to figure out which camera I'd like to use for HD video yet have it be compact etc... anyhow.. I ended up buying the 780is and i love it.. for its price and what it does.. its amazing... maybe not as sharp as my Rebel T1i but the lens is sooooooo small.. i just sharpen the video in software and its great... you can see some of my sd780is videos here on my Vimeo page:

http://vimeo.com/steph​enjames/videos (external link)

Get one and you won't be sorry.
xLfr>en Yahooc

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 70D
70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 50mm 1.4 | 16-35mm f/ 2.8 L | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Rocktoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 25, 2009 01:53 |  #8

StephenJames wrote in post #8170177 (external link)
I waited awhile to figure out which camera I'd like to use for HD video yet have it be compact etc... anyhow.. I ended up buying the 780is and i love it.. for its price and what it does.. its amazing... maybe not as sharp as my Rebel T1i but the lens is sooooooo small.. i just sharpen the video in software and its great... you can see some of my sd780is videos here on my Vimeo page:

http://vimeo.com/steph​enjames/videos (external link)

Get one and you won't be sorry.
xLfr>en Yahooc
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Looks pretty darn great! Which software do you use? :eek:

StephenHutchinson
87 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 25, 2009 02:28 as a reply to  @ Rocktoe's post |  #9

I used Vegas Pro 9.0.. just added a tad bit of sharpening, and some Hue/Sat and Brightness Contrast.. very easy... you can download a free trial at the http://www.sonycreativ​esoftware.com (external link) web site

I'm currently working on a longer series of videos shot entirely with the sd780is... and wow.. i just love how this camera creates colours.. its fantastic.

I'm used to using higher end DSLRs (5D, 50D, etc) and even the still photos from this point and shoot are very beautiful colour-wise. Only thing I don't like about the camera is that if you pixel-peep the 12mp images, you'll be disappointed... the images appear grainy/muddy. But even still, I've printed 8x11 photos and you can't see any of that... so it doesn't bother me that much.

Again, for the price, you can't go wrong... just be sure to get an 8gb or 16gb card and extra battery... if doing video.. it eats up space and consumes power rapidly.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 70D
70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 50mm 1.4 | 16-35mm f/ 2.8 L | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

sponsored links

2,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting a compact for mostly video (thinking Canon SD780)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.