Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DPP & sharpness setting...

Glyno
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 25, 2009 15:52 |  #1

When I open RAW files taken with my 350D (digital rebel xt) the default sharpness setting in DPP is zero, however when I open files taken with my G10 the setting is at number 6 (ie, sharpening has already been applied).
I wonder if anyone might know why this is the case, and more to the point - if I can make it so that the default is set at zero whatever file I open?

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this question has been asked previously.

Glyn.

my flickr (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,353 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 25, 2009 16:36 |  #2

what style are you shooting in? Can you change the default to add sharpening?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Glyno
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 25, 2009 16:48 |  #3

not sure what you mean by 'style' I'm not using auto or scene settings, I'm shooting in RAW so I assume there's no in-camera sharpening possible even if I wanted it?

I know it's simple enough to just move the sharpness slider (in DPP) to zero but I'd rather it already be that way.

Hope this all makes sense - lol

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 25, 2009 16:50 |  #4

The styles have different settings. Your manual will tell you how to adjust these in-cam. I prefer something around the 4-5 area myself. You can always change it in DPP, but it's much easier to set the default in-cam permanently.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 25, 2009 19:51 |  #5

DPP uses the "in camera" settings as a starting point...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 25, 2009 23:10 |  #6

Didn't I just say that? :lol: :p

Glyno
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 26, 2009 00:28 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #8175573 (external link)
DPP uses the "in camera" settings as a starting point...

...but I thought when shooting RAW the camera wouldn't apply any sharpening?
I've searched the manual (pdf) and can't find any reference to in-camera sharpening when in RAW mode.
:confused:

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2009 02:02 |  #8

amonline wrote in post #8176732 (external link)
Didn't I just say that? :lol: :p

Just expanding on it ;)

To the OP: "styles" referred to are "Picture Styles".

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 26, 2009 03:09 |  #9

Glyno wrote in post #8177118 (external link)
...but I thought when shooting RAW the camera wouldn't apply any sharpening?
I've searched the manual (pdf) and can't find any reference to in-camera sharpening when in RAW mode.

It doesn't apply any sharpening, but it does make a note (in the file's metadata) of whatever sharpening has been set for use with jpgs. DPP reads the metadata and sets that level as its default sharpening. It is supposed to be a convenience.

When the 350D was first released and DPP was at Vs. 1.6, DPP did the same thing for that camera. But DPP has changed considerably since then, both in the nature and scale of the sharpening and in the use of Picture Styles, each of which carries its own implicit sharpening, and DPP no longer reads that metadata entry from 350D files, defaulting to 0 instead.

As regards the G10, in the camera's menu find the place where the shooting parameters for each Picture Style can be changed and set sharpening to 0 or -4 or the minimum however the scale is set up, for the Picture Style of your choice. This setting should be carried over into DPP's defaults.

Elie / אלי

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,921 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 26, 2009 16:22 |  #10

DPP reflect what settings you put in camera whether you shoot RAW or JPEG, i have many RAW shots where the saturation is up, the sharpness is 5, and the contrast is +2, so how come the RAW got those settings? i found that DPP use same settings on Canon cameras, if you try to open RAW on Photoshop or lightroom then all settings will be default without in-cam settings applied

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Glyno
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 27, 2009 05:52 |  #11

Ok, at the risk of sounding really stupid...

When I have my G10 set to shoot RAW (only, not + jpeg), where in the menu do I find the option to change the parameters governing sharpness, contrast etc?
I know by pressing the FUNC/SET button you can then scroll down to My Colours/Custom Colours etc settings but that is only when shooting jpegs, not when in RAW only mode whereby the icon (2nd down, below white balance) is greyed out.

Really sorry to go on about this but I'll feel a whole lot better when I get to the bottom of it :lol:

Thanks again, Glyn.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2009 09:25 |  #12

Hmmm. Appears that a G10 is different from a DSLR in that respect. Looks like you are stuck with the defaults...

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20090627-mqpa8cfic3xfa7s7tdw5uk6fxk.jpg

Pretty easy to apply a new setting to all images in DPP though: Select all images (Main window), Press Cmd+T (Tool Palette), adjust settings.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Glyno
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 27, 2009 09:37 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #13

Rene, thank you very much indeed, you've reassured me that I'm not going insane!
Thanks also for that last bit of advise :D

Glyno
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 03, 2009 11:02 |  #14

Update:

I actually emailed Canon outlining my problem above and recieved a phone call :D and the following email explaining...

"Further to our conversation just now, I am writing regarding your recent call to our helpdesk regarding opening RAW files in DPP with your G10 (and EOS 350D).

The sharpness settings in the actual RAW files on both the G10 and 350D are the same, it is the DPP software that is actually trying to apply the extra sharpness. You will be able to see this if you open the EXIF data in DPP (‘File’ > ‘Info’) and another application such as ZoomBrowserEX for example (right click on image > ‘Properties’), the sharpness setting is ‘Normal’.

As you are aware, when you open the image in DPP, the sharpness will be set at 6. This is actually as a result of the Picture Style which DPP is applying to the image. Just to demonstrate this, go to ‘Picture Style’ just above the histogram on the tool palette, and use the drop down menu to change from ‘Standard’ to ‘Monochrome’. You will see that this will change the sharpness to 3, as well as changing a couple of other settings.

So basically, we want you to be able to open all images at zero sharpness. To do this, select your chosen picture style if you desire (Standard is default), and move the sharpness slider to zero. Next, go to ‘Edit’ on the top toolbar, and click on ‘Save Recipe In File’. This is basically going to save your chosen settings to a template. Save the file to an easily accessible folder as you will need to refer to this every time you import new images.

The main part is now done, but just to illustrate how to apply this template to future images, select a folder of images that you want to apply the zero sharpness setting to.

Select the images or click the ‘Select All’ icon just below your main toolbar along the top.
Then right click on the selected images and go down to ‘Read and Paste recipe from file’.
The ‘Open’ dialog box will appear, please locate the template file that you saved just now.
Once selected, please click Yes to the ‘Apply Recipe to All Selected Images?’.
You will notice that the screen refreshes as a little asterix appears just to the right of the file names to indicate that changes have been made to the files. This has now applied zero sharpness to all of the selected images as well as any other changes you may have made to the template.
To demonstrate this, please open the tool palette to see the sharpness slider is set to zero.

As advised above, this is only necessary because of the Picture Style settings that DPP is trying to apply. If you were to open the file in another application that does not support picture styles, these steps would not be necessary as no sharpening will be applied".

A very helpful and detailed reply - but, is it really any easier than to 'select all', slide the sharpness slider to zero, close DPP, and then click 'yes to all' when prompted to accept the changes? Then, re-open DPP with all files set to zero sharpness. Although this would have to be repeated whenever new files are added which was my initial concern. :confused:

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 03, 2009 15:28 |  #15

Glyno wrote in post #8217981 (external link)
A very helpful and detailed reply - but, is it really any easier than to 'select all', slide the sharpness slider to zero, close DPP, and then click 'yes to all' when prompted to accept the changes? Then, re-open DPP with all files set to zero sharpness. Although this would have to be repeated whenever new files are added which was my initial concern. :confused:

No need to save, quite & reopen DPP. Just select all, set sharpness to 0 and proceed.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

4,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP & sharpness setting...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.