Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro Rover AW or Tamrac Adventure 7 Pack???

avbcon12
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2009 16:34 |  #1

I have access to both real cheap, any thoughts on which one is better? I know the Lowepro will hold more since its slightly bigger and it has a rain cover, not sure if the Tamrac has that. At most ill be putting my gripped 50D with 24-70, 580ex2, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, misc. cards, supplies etc.

Im looking for an all around hiking/ city walking pack but I dont want anything too large or cumbersome. Im about 5' 8" if that helps. I know the best thing to do is try them out but im looking for overall durability/ functionality differences if anyone has any.

Thanks!

50D, BG-E2, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.8, 580EX2, 430EX2, PW's etc...

sponsored links
kelstar
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 27, 2009 21:38 |  #2

I think the 70-200 f2.8 will be too tall to fit in bottom of the Tamrac Adventure 7. My 70-200 f4 only just fits.

It doesn't have a built-in rain cover, but you can get pack raincovers from most camping/outdoor stores.

flickr (external link)

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2009 21:45 |  #3

kelstar wrote in post #8186676 (external link)
I think the 70-200 f2.8 will be too tall to fit in bottom of the Tamrac Adventure 7. My 70-200 f4 only just fits.

It doesn't have a built-in rain cover, but you can get pack raincovers from most camping/outdoor stores.

thats the main issue with the tamrac, i dont think ill be able to fit the 70-200 2.8. hmm.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 27, 2009 22:29 as a reply to  @ avbcon12's post |  #4

I have the Lowepro Rover AW II, and its waterproof brother, the Dryzone Rover. The lower gear compartment is tall enough to stow either a a 70-200/2.8 or the 100-400L, or both, vertically in the lower gear compartment. Their advantage is that they also have an upper compartment for other items such as large lens hoods, supplies, food/snacks, light jacket, etc. The Rover AW II is also fairly light, at just over three pounds. You can check their dimensions on the Lowepro site, but if I had to guess I'd say that my Rover is about 20 inches tall.

The Tamrac Adventure series also has two compartments, but no real way to stow a tripod except for lashing it underneath the pack (cumbersome and gets in the way). Also, gear compartment opens outward, so if you're not careful things can slide out when open...the Lowepro opens upwards and the only way something can fall out is if you turn the pack upside down while its open. The Tamrac Expedition series are large and fairly heavy...single compartment only, and they'll carry a lot of gear, but that's about it. Picture a padded box with dividers and shoulder straps, and you get an idea of the Expedition. Some people swear by them, but I just don't think that they're that functional (I have an Expedition 7 that I retired after getting the Rovers).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Hangbot
441 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 27, 2009 23:03 |  #5

I have the Lowepro Rover II and like it. I'm 5'9" and find the Rover to be a little big for city walking, but perfect for hikes.

The bottom portion will fit a 70-200/2.8IS with hood reversed, my 5D2 with 24-70 mounted with hood reversed, 16-35 w/o hood, and 1.4TC. But, the best part about the bottom portion is - it's REMOVABLE. I take it out and use it in smaller backpacks and messenger/shoulder bags for city walks.

The top portion is big enough for an extra jacket, lunch, etc...or you can put camera w/mounted lens in the top and put even more gear in the bottom.

The AW cover is helpful, but I've only used it once.

Cons:
1. I wish it could stow the waist harness when not in use (like the Mountainsmith bags)
2. feel like it's a little big on me
3. if you keep the camera in the top, it's not so bad but I wish you could get the camera out faster - but that's with most backpacks.

5D III : 35/1.4L : 100/2.8L : 16-35/2.8L : 24-70/2.8L : 70-200/2.8L IS : 100-400L IS : Lensbaby 2
Hassie 501C : Carl Zeiss 80/2.8 : Carl Zeiss 280/5.6
Canon FX : FL 50/1.8 and of course, my Holga:)

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2009 23:41 |  #6

thanks for the info!

Does the first version of the AW have the removable bottom section or is that why there was a second version?

thanks again

Hangbot
441 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 28, 2009 09:31 |  #7

from this review, I think it does:
http://www.camerahobby​.com/Access-Lowepro-Rover.htm (external link)

In the image of the bottom portion of the bag, you can see the velcro that holds the insert in place.

5D III : 35/1.4L : 100/2.8L : 16-35/2.8L : 24-70/2.8L : 70-200/2.8L IS : 100-400L IS : Lensbaby 2
Hassie 501C : Carl Zeiss 80/2.8 : Carl Zeiss 280/5.6
Canon FX : FL 50/1.8 and of course, my Holga:)

sponsored links

2,327 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro Rover AW or Tamrac Adventure 7 Pack???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.