Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jun 2009 (Sunday) 00:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kill fees

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2009 00:32 |  #1

I want to start writing in kill fees for my paid shoots. What do you guys think would be a fair percentage to pay out as a kill fee to a model who's not working out during a shoot and I need to send home?

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 28, 2009 03:48 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

What's a "Kill fee?"

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 28, 2009 04:20 |  #3

Probably something like what British Law refers to as Failure to Perform.

Discuss with the agency you hire from, they will usually have a standard contract. If you're hiring from the web then it's your choice and what the costs of a shoot is to you and if you have an alternative model to hand. It's a business decision for your own expenses and, importantly, what you negotiate with the model.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2009 09:36 as a reply to  @ Faolan's post |  #4

Right... failure to perform, contract termination clause, etc.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 28, 2009 11:13 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #5

Not model who doesn't perform...... There you get into a question of fact and may find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit......

Now MODEL WHO DOESN"T SHOW UP, is different....... Make her (him?) pay

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 28, 2009 12:34 |  #6

Failure to Perform is quite safe if the model doesn't meet the shoot brief. As long as you have a shoot brief in writing with the aims and specifications of the shoot and the model fails to meet those objectives and you have proof of this and/or witnesses then you are in the clear. Take for example a fashion shoot and the model has tattoos when it's not suitable for bikini wear. That's a reasonable cause for Failure to Perform, as long as you specifiy that no body piercings/tattoos or body mods. Also if the model fails to declare these then that could also be cause for termination. This does happen in the fashion industry.

As to fees, I just bill the model the costs of the shoot or wasted time. This is covered by the shoot brief and the contract the model agrees to and is clearly explained during shoot discussions. It covers any contracted party who fails to perform or attend a session not just the model. Needless to say I've never had an issue with any party because of this...

UK Law is different from that from over the pond, plus Stateside you're more lawsuit happy ;)

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

sponsored links

1,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kill fees
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.