Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2009 (Sunday) 19:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noob to the board, first topic...a few XSi questions

Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2009 19:51 |  #1

Hi all, this is my first post/thread on the boards after being a lurker.

I am a semi-beginner (getting more and more into advanced stuff here-and-there). I currently only have an XSi with a few decent lenses.

I know all features of the XSi, all indicators and icons, etc.. from reading online, reading the booklet several times, whatever..
but there are a few icons/animations I still don't understand:

1. In the VF display, when you half-press the shutter release with the pop-up flash released, what is the meaning of the little meter that drops down inward from several bars on each side to none? I've figured out that it only happens with red-eye reduction on (the red-eye lamp is the orange one correct?) and the meter only drops down when I continue holding the shutter half-way.

2. The red-eye lamp is the orange one correct? They actually don't mention this in the booklet..

3. Another thing they don't explain in the booklet is max burst. I think I understand that the max burst number (in the VF display, the right bottom corner number next to the solid circular dot), is how many rapid shots can be taken before there is a write-delay to the memory card.

4. Possibly related to number 3 (I'm not sure), what is buffer or buffer number in definition and relating to the display/actions of this body?

Thanks!

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 28, 2009 20:01 |  #2

1) Sounds like flash-exposure balancing actually, the lower the line the darker the background compared to the flashed subject.

2) Might actually be focus if it's in the viewfinder, there is an actual eye for my xt, but might have changed over the last three models.

3) More or less just that, how much you can write to buffer, and since buffer is RAM, it's much faster than your memory card, but much smaller. When buffer is filled, files need to be written to the card to make room in the buffer.

4) Look at three. Other than how many shots, doesn't do anything to the camera, but things like HTP, file size and type (RAW vs JPG mainly), etc can decrease the buffer size. Absolute worse thing to have for your buffer is noise reduction on, HTP, ISO1600, and RAW. Not like you'll use up your 6 shot buffer that way anyway.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2009 20:26 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #3

1) Sounds like flash-exposure balancing actually, the lower the line the darker the background compared to the flashed subject.
But again, this meter only shows and depletes while I hold the shutter halfway while red-eye is turned on.
2) Might actually be focus if it's in the viewfinder, there is an actual eye for my xt, but might have changed over the last three models.
I meant the orange external lamp that lights I believe only when red-eye is turned on.
3) More or less just that, how much you can write to buffer, and since buffer is RAM, it's much faster than your memory card, but much smaller. When buffer is filled, files need to be written to the card to make room in the buffer.
So max burst is the maximum number of fast, rapid shots that can be taken before the buffer is full (aka before you have to wait for the camera to catch up and finish writing all pics to the memory card)?
4) Look at three. Other than how many shots, doesn't do anything to the camera, but things like HTP, file size and type (RAW vs JPG mainly), etc can decrease the buffer size. Absolute worse thing to have for your buffer is noise reduction on, HTP, ISO1600, and RAW. Not like you'll use up your 6 shot buffer that way anyway.
I just meant to basically ask what is buffer, but I think you and I answered that in both of our posts :)

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2009 20:28 |  #4

I apologize for asking all of those...it seems that some were found after a simple search like number 3 and 4, I found this in a search:

Jaymz: It is my understanding;It is the max number of frames that can be shot before the buffer is full while just holding the shutter button down (burst mode). I do not know if it takes in to account that it is also writing to the CF card.

Anyone else have any other info on numbers 1 and 2?

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 28, 2009 22:54 |  #5

Guts311 wrote in post #8191448 (external link)
I apologize for asking all of those...it seems that some were found after a simple search like number 3 and 4, I found this in a search:

Jaymz: It is my understanding;It is the max number of frames that can be shot before the buffer is full while just holding the shutter button down (burst mode). I do not know if it takes in to account that it is also writing to the CF card.

Anyone else have any other info on numbers 1 and 2?

Well, http://www.dpreview.co​m …ws/canoneos500d​/page5.asp (external link) should solve 1 when you can pinpoint where it is.

As for external lights, only two I know of there should be the write indicator in the back and the timer bulb in the front. Specs+photos don't show any other light sources.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2009 23:53 |  #6

Well there is the orange little light on the front-left side (if facing the front of the camera) that lights up for red-eye. It's right next to the shutter button and right-hand grip.

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2009 23:55 |  #7

So no one can help me with that little meter that shows and depletes when the shutter if half-pressed and the pop-up flash is up?

It sorta looks like this when counting down (it's where the exposure meter usually is in the VF's display and it stops showing the moment you release the half-press of the shutter button...this only shows when the red-eye feature is turned on):

||||||||||||
||||||||||
|||||||
||||
||
|

And then it's gone!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 29, 2009 05:10 |  #8

Guts311 wrote in post #8192413 (external link)
So no one can help me with that little meter that shows and depletes when the shutter if half-pressed and the pop-up flash is up?

It sorta looks like this when counting down (it's where the exposure meter usually is in the VF's display and it stops showing the moment you release the half-press of the shutter button...this only shows when the red-eye feature is turned on):

||||||||||||
||||||||||
|||||||
||||
||
|

And then it's gone!

interesting but I don't know, I almost never use the red-eye reduction feature

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,238 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 29, 2009 06:39 |  #9

||||||||||||
||||||||||
|||||||
||||
||
|

And then it's gone!

Mystery solved on Page 59 of the XSi/450 manual:

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Newer/450_redeye.jpg

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

rdcamero
179 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 29, 2009 10:35 |  #10

||||||||||||
||||||||||
|||||||
||||
||
|

And then it's gone!

MY Rebel XT had a bar in the middle of the view finder that did the same thing except it would start at both ends and meet in the middle.I never did figure out what it was.My 50D does not seem to have this.

shlurpee
137 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 29, 2009 14:05 |  #11

msowsun wrote in post #8193375 (external link)
Mystery solved on Page 59 of the XSi/450 manual:

QUOTED IMAGE

Wow, I had read the manual and never saw that either. I oftened wondered what that was. So I assume that meter is a timer that allows the pupil of the subjects eyes to shrink from the original flash...thus reducing the red eye. Pretty cool.

Rebel XSI Kit lens, 28-135 USM, Tamron 70-300

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2009 14:43 |  #12

shlurpee wrote in post #8195370 (external link)
Wow, I had read the manual and never saw that either. I oftened wondered what that was. So I assume that meter is a timer that allows the pupil of the subjects eyes to shrink from the original flash...thus reducing the red eye. Pretty cool.

Thanks, yeah I have read that page. I guess I did know that description but was more unsure about why it says to take it before that meter runs down for the best results..even though the red-eye lamp stays on afterwards. I guess yeah that's before the lamp's effect runs out of effectiveness or something because maybe the eye adjusts or something..

sponsored links

1,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
Noob to the board, first topic...a few XSi questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.