Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 29 Jun 2009 (Monday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Badlands & Black Hills trip next week, help me pack!

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 29, 2009 14:03 |  #1

my first "excursion" with the slr. Family vacation. As i'm still somewhat new with the gear - rather than try too many things at once, my priority is going to be to try and get a few landscape photos in. I've got my faithful A610 for the snapshots and the "must haves" (as it's still way smarter than I am) but will also be trying the xs out as well.

I've been doing some reading and practicing to get a feel for what works best, and have been trying to memorize the HFD for the kit lens so simplify thinking about that in the field.

Here's the gear list that's coming along with me.

XS, kit lens, charger
55-250
CPL
4x ND filter
tripod
monopod
lot's o baggies incase of dusty or rainy conditions
pack of microfiber cleaning cloths
4x 4gb cards
4x 2gb cards
laptop (xtra storage)

I have the 50 1.8 and a flash too - a
dd them or leave them?
my luck with the flash has been about 3 in 5 for indoor portraits and snapshots. I love the sharpness of the 50, but I want to concentrate more on using the camera, and not swapping lenses. but then again maybe it's worth it for landcapes if I don't mind a slightly narrower field of view.

I know the area fairly well so knowing some of "what" to shoot is prety much taken care of but I'm trying to make the transition from quickie shots to real, composed "photos" Three of my primary goals are to capture the badlands (badlands park) at sunrise, Devils Tower at sunrise (sunset is nice too, and I will be trying a few of them, but we're camping in both locations, so sunrise is much more of a guarantee since both campsites are on the eastern side) and to catch bridal veil falls with some water motion in it. I've got lots of snapshots with the water frozen in time, but I'm aiming this time for one or two with that nice fluid foggy time-lapse look to them.

looking for any pointers or experience anyone is willing to share, or any web sites that have good basic guidelines listed.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sued5320
548 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 01, 2009 19:45 |  #2

Great vacation spot - I spent a week there last year. (A handful of photos on my flickr site.) If you have room for the 50 and the flash, you should bring them. (Murphy's law - if you don't have them, you'll need them.) Plus your promaster flash has to be better than the xs onboard spotlight.

Got a cable release?

Rather than memorizing the HFD data - you could stick a piece of masking tape on the lens cap with some HFD notes.

Sue MyFlickr (external link)
EOS 450 XSi * 50 1.8 * 70-200 2.8L IS II * Tamron 17-50 2.8 * 85 1.8 *EF-S 10-22

Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times....I just shoot at what interests me at that moment. Elliott Erwitt

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2009 13:05 |  #3

unfortunately I don't have a remote yet. It's on my wish list though so we'll see what next year brings.

not too many replies so I'm hoping that means those who have looked don't see anything to add to the list - and it sounds like I should just bring the whole pack.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Badlands & Black Hills trip next week, help me pack!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.