Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 07:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is it so hard??? tripod choices

avbcon12
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 30, 2009 07:39 |  #1

Ok, so Ill join the ranks of those that have posted "which tripod should I get?".

My local store has some in stock that are pretty nice. Id rather support local business than buy from hong Kong so im kinda stuck to these items. I also want to get it this week so I can have something for the 4th of July. Im looking at a light all around good tripod, something I can take on trips and not feel weighed down, and of course size and sturdiness are a factor too. Ill be using it with a gripped 50D, 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L, 580ex2 at times but thats about all the weight ill throw at it.

These are what they have in stock:

1) Slik 714CF-II
-Carbon fiber, compact 4 leg sections, supports 11lbs
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …15_714_Pro_714_​CF_II.html (external link)

2) Manfrotto 190CXPro4
- Carbon fiber, compact 4 leg sections, supports 11lbs
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Section_Carbon_​Fiber.html (external link)

3) Manfrotto 190cxpro3
-carbon fiber, supports 11lbs, not as compact
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Section_Carbon_​Fiber.html (external link)

4) Manfrotto 055cxpro3
- carbon fiber, center column carbon fiber, supports 17.6lbs, not as compact, most expensive
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …arbon_Fiber.htm​l#features (external link)

Out of these, do you think with the equipment Ill be using needs anything more than 11lbs? Is it worth getting a 3 leg setup over 4 leg even though its a few inches taller while folded? Ill be carrying it with a Lowepro Rover AW pack but would like to keep the tripod inside the pack at times, which would only leave me the slik and the pro4 as my options. is it worth it or should I just get a more stable 3 section and keep it on the outside of the pack?

Thanks for any insight!

50D, BG-E2, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.8, 580EX2, 430EX2, PW's etc...

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 30, 2009 07:52 |  #2

The specification of how much weight a tripod can support is really a useless value. All it really says is that the specified load won't crush the tripod.

The most important factor for a tripod is how steady the tripod can support the equipment mounted on it. Unfortunately, there is apparently no standard for measuring how steady a tripod (with a particular head mounted) can hold camera equipment.

There does not appear to be a standard for the max loading for a tripod, either. Cheapie tripods that I have seen often have very optimistic load ratings as compared to those by Manfrotto, for example.

The bottom line spec that I like to use is making sure the tripod/head is a quality product (such as those by Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc.) and is rated for at least two (and preferably at least three) times the weight of the equipment to be mounted.

If you have several tripod models available at a store, take your longest lens there and try it on all of them. The test would be to tap on the end of the lens while looking at a distant subject. Observe how much movement there is in the viewfinder image when you tap the lens and, more importantly, observe how quickly the motion stops. That will give you an idea of which tripods are truly sturdy and which may not be.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 30, 2009 08:12 |  #3

Thanks Skip!

I figured the weight ratings were the max load capable (recommended) for the tripod. thanks for clearing that up.

Adding up the advertised weights, it seems that my heaviest combo would be about 9lbs (with head). according to your judgement, I should only consider the 055cxpro3 since its rated at about twice the weight.

Ill likely be using the 488RC2 head with any combo.

anyone else?

mjinva
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2009 10:18 |  #4

I just went throught this. After work yesterday I bought the Manfrotto 190CXPro4 and the 4888RC2 ball head. Put my camera and lens (Nikon D200 w\a Tamron 18-270) on and played with them for a little while last night. Both the legs and head feel very solid. The fact that my local dealer had them for the same price as B&H was a plus. Good luck

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 30, 2009 10:21 |  #5

mjinva wrote in post #8200483 (external link)
I just went throught this. After work yesterday I bought the Manfrotto 190CXPro4 and the 4888RC2 ball head. Put my camera and lens (Nikon D200 w\a Tamron 18-270) on and played with them for a little while last night. Both the legs and head feel very solid. The fact that my local dealer had them for the same price as B&H was a plus. Good luck

have you compared the strength to one of the 3 leg counterparts with your gear on it?

rouxeny
250 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 30, 2009 14:14 as a reply to  @ avbcon12's post |  #6

I have a Manfrotto 055, same tripod as you mentioned and use it with essentially the same gear.

I think it does a great job and would recommend it to anybody.

It's unfortunately clearly not the lightest tripod, but I don't shoot too far from civilization usually. If you plan on going on real hikes with it, or walk more than 2-3 miles, I'd think about it's weight.

I have found it to be very steady when holding the 70-200

Andrew Tan
10D/5D/15/17-40/24/50/70-200
http://andrew-tan-photography.smugmug.co​m (external link)
"I am so envious of guys like you. You get to shoot beautful models, all I can find to shoot are bugs and snakes." - JS

mjinva
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2009 16:13 |  #7

avbcon, my local did not have any of the others on your list. I went w\this set up as it was the most affordable that would meet my needs. I needed something that was light and compact as it will also be used when I travel.

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 01, 2009 10:29 |  #8

OK, thanks everyone.

im a bit worried about the size of the 4th section of legs on the 190cxpro4, they are really skinny.

im going today to check them out again.

n2_space
202 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 01, 2009 10:57 |  #9

I have an 055xprob with a 488RC2 head and a 190cxpro4 with a 486RC2 head on it. Both hold my 5D2/24-105 just fine.

Even though they are brand new (I have used them like 6 times total between the both of them), I have been thinking about selling them and getting a Gtizo2541 with a Markins head and RRS clamp/plate... :o nothing wrong with the manfrotto setups, I think that the gitzo would serve all my purposes with one set of legs.

5D Mark II - gripped | 24-105L | 580EX II | Expedition 6x, Pro Digital Zoom 5 | 055PROXB-488RC2 | 190CXPRO4-486RC2 | Some filters...

Kuma
996 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 01, 2009 11:22 |  #10

n2_space wrote in post #8206401 (external link)
I have an 055xprob with a 488RC2 head and a 190cxpro4 with a 486RC2 head on it. Both hold my 5D2/24-105 just fine.

Even though they are brand new (I have used them like 6 times total between the both of them), I have been thinking about selling them and getting a Gtizo2541 with a Markins head and RRS clamp/plate... :o nothing wrong with the manfrotto setups, I think that the gitzo would serve all my purposes with one set of legs.

I'm feeling like you. But my budget was smaller when I bought my tripod. For the money the 055XProB/488rc2 is a good value. Agree that there is nothing wrong with a manfrotto setup but they are heavier. I wouldn't want to carry it while hiking for any length of time but its ok for short walks.

A 24-70 feels fine but I found that a 100-400 is about the limit. The tripod is still steady but I get droopage from ballhead sometimes when I lock it down and the zoom is fully extended. Happens when angled upwards but its fine when level.

n2_space
202 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 01, 2009 11:25 |  #11

Kuma wrote in post #8206530 (external link)
I'm feeling like you. But my budget was smaller when I bought my tripod. For the money the 055XProB/488rc2 is a good value. Agree that there is nothing wrong with a manfrotto setup but they are heavier. I wouldn't want to carry it while hiking for any length of time but its ok for short walks.

A 24-70 feels fine but I found that a 100-400 is about the limit. The tripod is still steady but I get droopage from ballhead sometimes when I lock it down and the zoom is fully extended. Happens when angled upwards but its fine when level.

Exactly... I was hiking in RMNP with the 055 and 488 strapped on my expedition backback hiking for miles and hours at 10k feet... I bought the 190 while on vacaiton there to take some weight off! It made a WORLD of difference. They are both great tripods... but I think I might sell them and get the gitzo :o Not sure yet.

5D Mark II - gripped | 24-105L | 580EX II | Expedition 6x, Pro Digital Zoom 5 | 055PROXB-488RC2 | 190CXPRO4-486RC2 | Some filters...

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 01, 2009 12:33 |  #12

thanks guys!

If youre moving to a Gtizo2541 for the weight "savings" it doesnt make much sense since they 190cxpro4 is advertised at a slightly lower weight. The capacity is double though.

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 01, 2009 12:47 |  #13

now im starting to question the local vs. online thing... for the same price range should I be considering another brand/ model?

I cant go higher in price.

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2009 00:05 |  #14

Most of the weight limits are caused by how the legs are adjusted .
You didn't mention height , but never extend the legs to max . leave at least 1 inch in each section .
I don't like the RC series QR . The wat it's made it's hard to rest on table , rail etc .
I have it on my Bogen lens support . The gimbal head takes the RRS , Arca , Markins type QR plate and the other heads I have take the 6 sided Bogen QR plates - I like them best .
There are tripod aprons out there that are handy to put stuff in - remote , coat , note pad etc . when tripod is set up .

Gear List

avbcon12
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 02, 2009 00:26 |  #15

as for height, im about 5 foot 8 so my eye level is nearly 64 inches. each above would be OK without much (if any) extension of the center column once I get the head and grip on the camera.

sponsored links

2,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is it so hard??? tripod choices
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.