Hi all - I would like some input on a shakeup I'm considering for my lens lineup. I have recently added a 5D to my kit and working with one FF and one 1.6x camera has me thinking about making some changes.
Here is what I currently have:
bodies: 5D, 30D
zooms: 17-40, tamron 28-75, 70-200 F/2.8 IS
primes: 100 macro
What I am looking to accomplish:
1. I want a standard zoom with better IQ, my tamron is really disappointing at/near wide open
2. I want to move into a more portable telephoto situation - my F/2.8 IS is an amazing lens that doesn't disappoint, however I often leave it home due to the size/weight. It does not lend itself to any discretion.
3. I want to add some fast glass to my lineup
4. I want a kit more geared towards my personal work, that will also allow me to continue to take on commercial/wedding work as it comes along.
What I shoot:
Landscapes, urban exploration, environmental portraits, stock, abstracts, some commercial work, and some weddings (very busy last year, hardly any bookings this year). When using my 70-200 for anything other than weddings I am very rarely using it at F/2.8. For a better idea of what I shoot you can check my homepage or flickr in my signature.
The lineup I am considering for my 5D / 30D combo:
This would require selling my tamron 28-75 & 70-200 F/2.8 IS and putting in some cash from me end.
zooms: 17-40, 24-105 OR 24-70, 70-200 F/4 IS
primes: 35mm F/1.4, 100 macro, 135mm F/2
Here are my areas of concerns:
- The 70-200 F/4 would not be great for wedding work in terms of speed, this is really only necessary during ceremonies and speeches. I am thinking that the 135L on my 30D would provide the reach and could get me through when the lighting is tough.
- I've owned the 24-70 before and it really is a brick, especially if you are trying to bring the hood along. I worry that this would not be portable and would leave me in the same position as my current 70-200.
- If I opted for the 24-105 it could be too slow for wedding work.
For the shooting I enjoy the new lens lineup to me seems like a no brainer, however I worry that it would leave me unable to complete wedding work - let's be honest extra coin from that is very nice at times! I don't mean for this to be a rehash of the 70-200 or 24-70/24-105 debates that plague the forums - more of a debate on whether I'd be shooting myself in the foot or limiting myself by doing this change.