Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 20:27
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "For the main body. (My assistant's 40D or T1i will be the second and backup body)"
1D Mark III
18.6%
5D Mark II
81.4%

86 voters, 86 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Professional Fashion/Wedding Photographers

Chosenbydestiny
I somehow feel enlightened now
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 30, 2009 20:27 |  #1

So I've finally come up with the money to get a new body, and I want to break into the professional part of the industry and get some magazines to possibly publish my photos. I shoot fashion, glamour, and weddings. I've planned this thoroughly and know this is how much I want to spend for my main camera body and won't spend any more or less. The price point hits two very nice cameras, but are definitely for somewhat different shooting purposes. They're in the same price range that I have available to spend and both have certain features like micro adjustment that really appeals to me. The 1D Mark III is a camera I've shot before, and I appreciate the AF more than anything in that camera. But I don't need the high frames per second, and I'd be getting it used of course. The crop factor and IQ still leave me hanging on the decision as well. The 5D Mark II has great IQ, and I do find myself in many low light situation so the ISO would definitely help. However, I'd be shooting it in sRAW most of the time and wouldn't need the video. The reason why I ask this of POTN members is because the pros and cons seem to balance on both cameras. And no, I don't want a 1Ds mark II or definitely not a III. No, I don't want to buy any other body and get more lenses, I have all the lenses that I want and need. And no, I will not sell any of my lenses. Please consider the purpose that I will be using the camera for, I appreciate the advice. Thanks!!

- Ryan

- Ryan, photographer/videograp​her
Bodies: Canon 1D mark III, 5D Mark III, 5D classic, 6D, 7D, and 60D. Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 135 f/2L USM, some L zooms, lots of lighting equipment and video support systems Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 30, 2009 20:34 |  #2

Oh, so basically to put it all down to a practical comparison. I'm wondering if any pros know from experience if it's more important to land shots with better AF, or risk a little bit of AF to have more IQ.

Bodies: Canon 1D mark III, 5D Mark III, 5D classic, 6D, 7D, and 60D. Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 135 f/2L USM, some L zooms, lots of lighting equipment and video support systems Facebook (external link)

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 30, 2009 20:34 |  #3

5D2 given your shooting preferences and lens lineup.
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 30, 2009 20:39 |  #4

john-in-japan wrote in post #8203385 (external link)
5D2 given your shooting preferences and lens lineup.
John

Do you know for a fact if the 5D2 AF surpasses it's predecessor? When I shoot my assistant's 40D, it doesn't seem to pin the focus in some low light situations that I'm in for weddings when I'm shooting inside of a church that doesn't allow flash. Some events that I've shot also don't allow flash and they aren't usually well lit indoors. I remember that the 1Dm3 would do a much better job.

watchtherocks
579 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 30, 2009 20:45 |  #5

I would imagine the 1DIII would suit you much better considering its focusing power. Of course your 24mm won't be 24mm anymore but IQ and noise handling is reportedly the same between the two cameras.
Plus you must remember the issue of weather sealing and build quality. You wouldn't want to lose a photo because of a bit of rain.

Basically, focusing and body-quality put the 1D MkIII ahead, IMO.

Anyone know anything anywhere anymore?

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 30, 2009 21:06 |  #6

watchtherocks wrote in post #8203448 (external link)
I would imagine the 1DIII would suit you much better considering its focusing power. Of course your 24mm won't be 24mm anymore but IQ and noise handling is reportedly the same between the two cameras.
Plus you must remember the issue of weather sealing and build quality. You wouldn't want to lose a photo because of a bit of rain.

Basically, focusing and body-quality put the 1D MkIII ahead, IMO.

Yeah it seems to be what everyone deems as the jack-of-all-trades kind of camera with great AF. 5D2 just seems to have that wow factor in it's photos straight out of the camera and the flexibility of printing huge might be a benefit in the future, just not now. I'm also attracted to the viewfinder and the detail in it's LCD.

You guys bring up some good points though.

Twotan
304 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 30, 2009 21:11 as a reply to  @ Chosenbydestiny's post |  #7

With your lens line up i would buy the 5D Mark II. Go to the post office and get the mover's coupon package. Inside there is a 10% discount for Best Buy. That is how i got my 5D Mark II 3 weeks ago. I am not looking back. I am even thinking of selling my 1D Mark II.

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 30, 2009 21:33 |  #8

Wth a crop backup, why not go full frame? You have the lenses for it.
My 5D2 not yet arrived, but I have been shooting the 5D for a long time.
5D2 shooters are lovin' it. With high ISO in 5D2 flash is less a concern.
Just my 2 yen opinion.
John

ote=Chosenbydestiny;82​03409]Do you know for a fact if the 5D2 AF surpasses it's predecessor? When I shoot my assistant's 40D, it doesn't seem to pin the focus in some low light situations that I'm in for weddings when I'm shooting inside of a church that doesn't allow flash. Some events that I've shot also don't allow flash and they aren't usually well lit indoors. I remember that the 1Dm3 would do a much better job.[/QUOTE]

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 30, 2009 21:38 |  #9

If you miss focus it doesn't matter what the, potential, IQ is coming from the camera.

Even going from a 40D to a 5D, i realize how crappy (inaccurate) the AF system is on the 40D. At least using the center point.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 01, 2009 00:30 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #10

Thanks guys. It looks like 5D2 is the way to go. Maybe I'll make enough to get a pro body later on.

jklewer
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 01, 2009 01:12 |  #11

Chosen, thats quite the lens lineup by the way. I'm SURE you will be pleased with the images you get out of the 5D2 with those red rings mounted! Be sure to post some shots when the time comes. John

Gear

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 01, 2009 01:39 |  #12

Greetings - You will get some debate on whether or not the 5D/5D2 is a pro camera and the Canon Professional Services Program eligibility requires two Canon bodies 5D or higher as just one criteria for membership.
John

JohnW

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 01, 2009 04:18 |  #13

jklewer wrote in post #8204526 (external link)
Chosen, thats quite the lens lineup by the way. I'm SURE you will be pleased with the images you get out of the 5D2 with those red rings mounted! Be sure to post some shots when the time comes. John

Thanks, I've been waiting for this moment since I bought my first L actually. To pair them with a body most worthy of it's magnificence, hehe. Although I've gotten some really incredible results with them mounted on crop bodies. It's about time though, I think I worked harder than I should have convincing politicians and celebrities that I can do the job with a Canon rebel. I'm hoping I'll have to do less talking with a body of a more intimidating presence inside and out. Thanks to this forum and you guys, I'm always guided in the right direction. I'll have those photos up as soon as I get my new camera. Thanks again. =]

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 01, 2009 04:21 |  #14

john-in-japan wrote in post #8204615 (external link)
Greetings - You will get some debate on whether or not the 5D/5D2 is a pro camera and the Canon Professional Services Program eligibility requires two Canon bodies 5D or higher as just one criteria for membership.
John

I just hear bad news about the 5D2 and it's build, and weather sealing, but I'm sure it's at least as good as a 40D's weather sealing, right? Ah yes, I've read about this service and I'm eager to join the league. But let me go out there and prove my worth first. ~_^

Suedezu
Goldmember
1,512 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 01, 2009 05:59 |  #15

Chosen, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are: wedding photographer that went from 30D to 5D Mark II.

I had a recent wedding where I had the darkest church possible. The 5D Mark II did very good when it comes to AF and image quality at ISO 3200. Check my wedding gallery and you'll see what I'm talking about (images 4 to 7 in the Wedding photography section).

General gallery: http://andreimorar.zen​folio.com (external link)Commercial wedding photography:www.andrei-morar.ro
[/SIZE][/FONT]

sponsored links

2,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Professional Fashion/Wedding Photographers
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.