Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=Rebel XS / 1000D users, lets join forces!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 03, 2009 20:25 |  #16

One more goofy photo of my daughter's new dog. Not a great photo, but the camera is working out for my fun little hobby. And all I had to do was Ebay a bunch of crap I never use.

My XS was 534 dollars at Best Buy (they matched Amazon). I'm still on the kit lens, but want to get a good 18-200 walkabout lens asap.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i139.photobucke​t.com …hepirannah/Bell​aWella.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
jbhswim
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 03, 2009 20:47 |  #17

MikeFairbanks; thanks for the contributions, I'm so glad to hear you love your Xs as much as I do!

1D Mark ii, Rebel XS,17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4mk, 70-200mm f/4L
Flickr (external link)

Rebel XS / 1000d users, lets join forces.

AJ-47
102 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 04, 2009 03:14 |  #18

jbhswim wrote in post #8215879 (external link)
Yes, i had noticed that on my XS too, it's really great for traveling when you might not be able to find power for maybe 3 days. Theat LP-E5 is great!:)

what do you mean by xs?
sorry im new to this and dont know allot

Canon 60D. 18-55. 55-250

Headbone
86 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 04, 2009 03:34 |  #19

@AJ-47, in some markets the Canon 1000D is named "Rebel XS".
XS is just the shortened version of said name.

And with a BG-E5, the battery life is totally outstanding!
With two LP-E5's I have shot in excess of 1500 shots.
With Energizer Lithium AA's in the other cartridge, sittin at 1300 so far and meter still shows "full".

1D Mk III - 7D - EF 50mm f1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF 70-200 f/4 L IS - EF 24-105 f4 L

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 06:33 as a reply to  @ Headbone's post |  #20

I don't use flash much and I don't use live view, so I'm getting about 800 shots per battery charge.

Thank you. bw!

johnj2803
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 04, 2009 08:33 |  #21

mistermoe wrote in post #8220148 (external link)
Question: Can you use the XS for point and shoot or is it better to use a tripod?

you can definitely use it as point and shoot :D you can use a tripod too, but i won't advice it that much (carrying it, no matter how light or small, i just a burden). You see our camera comes with an Image Stabilization (IS) lens, which counteracts camera shake, so using a tripod to get a more steady shot is not really needed. :D

the only time i use a tripod is when i get a night shot in long exposures :D during this case, i TURN OFF the image stabilization in my lens (it causes the image to blur), or when i want to be in the picture when no one is going to take it :D LOL

Its great to see my fellow canon XS/1000D users having fun!! :D I am a proud owner too and i can't just be happy :D

My flickr (external link)

funpig
46 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 12:44 |  #22

dengar wrote in post #8211484 (external link)
Would you compare this to the Nikon D40 in the sense that its a good "wife" camera? I moved to a 40D and planning to sell the D40 for a Canon so we can swap lenses, etc. The D40 is so nice and compact, how do the Rebels compare in size? The XS looks really easy to use as well.

I think the XS/1000D has better specs than D40 and is comparable to D60. The XS is very compact (smallest of all Canon dslr). Very light and inexpensive. If you are going to share lenses, the XS would be a logical and economical choice. Put a 50mm/1.8 on it and you will have a very good low light shooter, which can blow away any high end point and shoot at almost a point and shoot price (eg. G10).

MISHI
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 14:16 |  #23

I just bought this with a sigma 55-200 and the kit lens both non IS... here's a couple I was trying with...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Admittedly, I'm not too fond of the smaller viewfinder... but it's still great and coming from a Sony H50 it's a drastic difference in image quality.

XSshooter
65 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 15:28 |  #24

gordon67 wrote in post #8219311 (external link)
Some people say the official hood for the 18-55 kit is too shallow to make any difference, I just thought my images looked a lot nicer after using it. I think I read that using a hood can increase contrast and saturation in your images, giving them better quality. Some of my photos looked a bit washed out before and I wanted to see if getting a hood would help. you can get third party hoods if you don't fancy buying the official one.

I tried the hood with the kit lens.....I really didn't notice a difference. I am getting married down in St. Maarten in a few weeks so I knew I would be taking alot of outdoor sunlight images.. But so far I don't think I am gonna take the hood...But I have not tried it with the 55-250 nor the 50 1.8, maybe I should????? Whats the difference.... I am gonna do some post processing on them anyway...

But being new the the SLR world....I have to say I am most impressed with the XS.. Very sharp images.. The XS with the 55-250 seems to be the most versitile..... Can't wait to capture some moments with it when I get to the island..

I would like to shoot some waves crashing pics but with a sense of the moving water... Still working on that but its a little hard since I cant experiment cuz I don't have a beach to practice on!!!! Any recamendations on this?

Happy 4th of July to all us Americans.......

50D | Rebel XSi | EF-S 17-85 IS | EF 70-300 IS | Speedlite 270 EX

johnj2803
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 04, 2009 16:37 |  #25

MISHI wrote in post #8223381 (external link)
I just bought this with a sigma 55-200 and the kit lens both non IS...

just a question, the XS does come with the IS kit lens. yours didn't?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 18:10 as a reply to  @ johnj2803's post |  #26

It's possible to buy the body only, but there's no point to it. For less than a hundred more you get the IS kit lens.

The kit lens is definitely IS (whereas the XTi did not have an IS lens).

Thank you. bw!

MISHI
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 18:37 |  #27

johnj2803 wrote in post #8223897 (external link)
just a question, the XS does come with the IS kit lens. yours didn't?

nope it came with the non IS version... i thought it did as well... but apparently some of them came this way

Ctran
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 04, 2009 21:34 |  #28

Hey everybody! Glad to be a part of such a lively bunch of people. I shall soon join this club myself as I have just ordered my XS and should be arriving in the mail within a week *crosses fingers*. Can't wait to start posting up my stuff and get some C&C as I am fairly new to the photography scene..

johnj2803
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 04, 2009 21:59 |  #29

MISHI wrote in post #8224317 (external link)
nope it came with the non IS version... i thought it did as well... but apparently some of them came this way

this is unexpected... I really thought they all came with the same lens. well mine did come with the IS and it also says in the box.

thanks for the info

MISHI
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2009 22:15 |  #30

Just checked mine and it just says '18-55" kit and the images on the box are of camera with just the normal non IS lens... I do plan sometime to get an IS versions of the 55-200 and maybe a 50mm and see what I can do... right about not I'm still learning to take good shots with it... but a few have come out spectacular to me...

sponsored links

1,153,944 views & 4 likes for this thread
-=Rebel XS / 1000D users, lets join forces!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.