Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question(s) about EOS 50D

Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 18:28 |  #1

I am waiting for the 50D to come in the mail from NewEgg to upgrade from my fairly new XSi :) I was using a 50D in Best Buy earlier and couldn't figure something out.

Supposing I am strictly looking through the viewfinder only (not LCD); on the XSi, I could change shutter speed by simply turning the wheel dial with my finger and could also quickly change the aperture by holding the AV+- button while also turning the same wheel. Doing this didn't cause me to have to look away from the VF at the LCD at all.

But using the 50D, I could only figure out how to change the f-stop by doing it via the quick control screen on the LCD screen, which includes pressing the little joystick, moving over to aperture, then scrolling the finger wheel. That's a lot of steps and does not work if looking through the VF because using the joystick stops the exposure numbers from showing in the VF until you re-press the shutter button halfway.

How can I quickly switch between shutter speed and aperture changing while never taking my eye away from the VF/VF display???

Please tell me there is a way to do this! :)

sponsored links
Eagle
Goldmember
4,347 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 07, 2009 18:35 |  #2

Depending on the mode your in it will either be with the small dial on top or the big dial on the back. To make the big dial on back work the on/off switch has to be set the broken line setting, which is past the on setting. You should be able to download a pdf version off the manual from Canon's site and read up while your waiting on the camera to show up.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2009 18:38 |  #3

It's a lot faster changing them when using the top LCD. It's weird at first coming from an XSi (like I did) but you'll get used to it. When you have the power switch set all the way up, you'll be able to use the quick control dial too.

Manual: Main dial for the shutter speed, Quick control dial for the aperture
Av: Main dial for the aperture
Tv: Main dial for the shutter speed

The buttons at the top, which have two settings like ISO and flash exposure compensation, can be adjusted with using the main control dial and quick control dial.

Once you get used to it you'll find it to be a lot quicker to use.

Gear List
ACCD

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 19:07 |  #4

Yeah I was referring to Manual Mode mostly where both controls need to be active and I wouldn't be taking my eye off of the VF display.

I see now, I did notice about the two On positions but wasn't sure of the difference. So when it is set to regular On, the big back dial just doesn't control Aperture but when it is set to the higher up On, it controls aperture??? What is the reasoning behind this and does the upper On mode change anything else?

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2009 19:18 |  #5

When it's just switched to on the quick dial isn't functional for the top LCD (still works for the main LCD screen). When switched all the way up the quick dial is functional for the top LCD.

Gear List
ACCD

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 19:19 |  #6

So when switched to On, it's also not functional for the VF display??

Again, the VF display is what I'm really concerned with.

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2009 19:23 |  #7

Yes, when switched to ON the quick control dial isn't functional for the VF display. But when switched all the way up it is functional.

Gear List
ACCD

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 19:27 |  #8

Okay cool.
But when it's set to regular On, what is the point of disabling the big dial from doing those adjustments? I don't understand the point..

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,937 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 07, 2009 19:31 |  #9

Guts311 wrote in post #8241873 (external link)
Okay cool.
But when it's set to regular On, what is the point of disabling the big dial from doing those adjustments? I don't understand the point..

It's so you don't change exposure with your nose while shooting.

:p

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Rhyme
82 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 19:32 |  #10

off google no time to edit an arrow in

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i12.photobucket​.com …244/sharpage/50​d-back.jpg (external link)

see "OFF" "ON" then a little line pointing to the big wheel? It needs to be turned all the way to that line in order to change the aperture with it

"I don't think about art when I'm working. I try to think about life."

-Jean Michel Basquiat

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 20:22 |  #11

Awesome thanks for clarification.

Two things bug me about the camera so far, one is that it is newer than the XSi but still did not have SD memory implemented in it. Luckily, I ordered that CF to SD card adapter from Adorama, so hopefully it works well. Hopefully it won't write too slowly. Anyone use this?

Also, I am disappointed that the 50D does not have the little sensor under the VF so that the screen blacks out when your face is in front of it :(

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2009 20:24 |  #12

Well if you use the top LCD the screen is blacked out anyways.

Gear List
ACCD

Rhyme
82 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 22:52 |  #13

yea what depth said. the lcd is not even on until you take a picture or hit menu/liveview/etc

still the sensor is a nice feature that it lacks, but its all compromise

"I don't think about art when I'm working. I try to think about life."

-Jean Michel Basquiat

vincent_su
843 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 07, 2009 23:51 as a reply to  @ Rhyme's post |  #14

When I first got my 50D, I spend three days playing with everything the manual says and learn a lot. The manual is your best friend if you take it step by step.
After a while, I forgot some the of the features and am ready to go back to play with the manual again.

Vincent
"My dark room is bright and I like it."
5Diii; 24-105 f/4; 100 Macro f/2.8; 17-40 f/4; 70-200 f/4 IS; 100-400 II; TS-E90 and stuff.

Rich ­ S
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 08, 2009 01:55 |  #15

I disable the ability to change f/ when I am in AV it changes the speed of the camera by changing the f/. This is not good when trying to keep the speed above 1/1000 sec with BIF

......I Can't Paint....So I Do This........

sponsored links

2,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question(s) about EOS 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.