Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Jul 2009 (Friday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for some general critiquing of my Flickr photos

Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2009 18:15 |  #1

Hey all! I'm am newer here and was looking for some general opinions of my Flickr photostream. There aren't many photos, and I am only looking for feedback on the first 2 and a quarter pages (where my XSi and 50D shots are), but I think some are pretty good for an amateur like myself (or maybe not! You tell me!).

As you can see, only the first 3 photos on page one are from my 50D, and the majority after that are from the XSi (due to the fact that I just got my 50D this week!! Love it!)
I shoot RAW(+JPEG) and most of my converting/editing is done in Lightroom 2 and DPP btw.

Here's my page: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/guts311 (external link)

Thanks for any critiques! Love this forum!

sponsored links
Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 10, 2009 21:30 |  #2

#1 is badly in need of a crop to get rid of that upper 1/4 of the picture.
The #2 shot is washed out - either overexposed or just rendered too bright here.
#3 has no one doing anything.
#4 has the two ladies doing slapstick - but why the screen?
Perhaps you could take the two ladies to the playground and get something combining their talent with the otherwise static scene?:rolleyes:
#5 is surely a throw-away.

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

backup63
202 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 10, 2009 21:45 |  #3

I think the second page is the strongest, but I also like the castle from one of the next pages.

Canon XTI, Tamaron 17-50 2.8 Non-VC, 55-250mm, 50mm 1.8

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2009 23:34 |  #4

Robert_Lay wrote in post #8260200 (external link)
#1 is badly in need of a crop to get rid of that upper 1/4 of the picture.
The #2 shot is washed out - either overexposed or just rendered too bright here.
#3 has no one doing anything.
#4 has the two ladies doing slapstick - but why the screen?
Perhaps you could take the two ladies to the playground and get something combining their talent with the otherwise static scene?:rolleyes:
#5 is surely a throw-away.

I'm aware that number 2 is a little bright (exposure was correct, it was just the sunny sky), but it's emulating how it looked in person..it's just the sky and trees that are a little washed out.

For number 4, the screen is there because they were simply behind it. It was a candid, unplanned shot while they were looking outside from in there and I told them to pose really quickly. Nothing wrong with that.

For the playground shot, I'm aware nothing is going on there, but that's not the point. There's plenty of excellent photos out there with no one in them and nothing going on..it's just a nostalgic shot of a playground.

And how is number 5 of the beautiful sky a throwaway? It was taken correctly and displays great colors after a rainstorm..since when is a photo of a sky like that throwaway?

Jeez I appreciate the criticism whether it's called for or not, but do we have to use the sarcasm eye-roll smiley too?

backup63 wrote in post #8260276 (external link)
I think the second page is the strongest, but I also like the castle from one of the next pages.

ScottME
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2009 01:49 |  #5

Guts311 wrote in post #8260661 (external link)
I'm aware that number 2 is a little bright (exposure was correct, it was just the sunny sky), but it's emulating how it looked in person..it's just the sky and trees that are a little washed out.

For number 4, the screen is there because they were simply behind it. It was a candid, unplanned shot while they were looking outside from in there and I told them to pose really quickly. Nothing wrong with that.

For the playground shot, I'm aware nothing is going on there, but that's not the point. There's plenty of excellent photos out there with no one in them and nothing going on..it's just a nostalgic shot of a playground.

And how is number 5 of the beautiful sky a throwaway? It was taken correctly and displays great colors after a rainstorm..since when is a photo of a sky like that throwaway?

Jeez I appreciate the criticism whether it's called for or not, but do we have to use the sarcasm eye-roll smiley too?

Don't be so defensive. And the criticism is called for - look at the name of the forum.

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2009 10:34 as a reply to  @ ScottME's post |  #6

I didn't mean that the criticism wasn't called for, but maybe in a less harsh way? Not to sound like a baby, but again, maybe it could have been nicer-sounding without the eye-rolling? LoL..forget it. Most threads I read here, people seem nice.

I guess I should expect to hear about any little bad thing since most here are "pixel-peepers" in more than one way... it's allll good.

EDIT: And from Robert or anybody, I was wondering again why the photo of the blue and purple sky is "throw-away" (at Flickr's full size)?

ScottME
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2009 10:48 |  #7

Perhaps it's just a throw away for him. You like it, that's all that really matters.

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2009 10:59 |  #8

Perhaps, but I just wanted to know if there was anything specifically wrong with the subject, composure, etc for the bettering of my own knowledge :)

joshr03
128 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2009 19:10 |  #9

ScottME wrote in post #8262473 (external link)
Perhaps it's just a throw away for him. You like it, that's all that really matters.

Enough said. You should definitely not rely on other people's opinions to judge your work, everyone's opinion is going to be different and all that really matters is if you are happy with what you took.

Canon 40D | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 | Canon 17-55 F/2.8 | Canon 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS | 580EX II flick (external link)r (external link)
Zenfolio (external link)

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 11, 2009 19:42 as a reply to  @ Guts311's post |  #10

I would agree with the critique. These photos may mean something personal/sentimental you but to the casual observer there is very little of interest.

Regarding the sky, it looks rather poorly composed. The trees in the bottom right don't fit. You could perhaps crop them out but it would probably be easier to just shoot another sky and think more about your composition.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2009 23:22 as a reply to  @ aroundlsu's post |  #11

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

sponsored links

1,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for some general critiquing of my Flickr photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.