Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Jul 2009 (Monday) 08:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Novatron 2020/2010 strobes compatible with D1000 pack

Underscore
309 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 13, 2009 08:33 |  #1

All the model numbers below are Novatron.

I have a D1000 power pack with 2103 FC heads rated at 1500 w/s each. Of course, I know you can use higher rated heads with a lower pack; but the other way around isn't allowed.

I have been offered two old Novatron heads, one 2020 and one 2010. I am curious if I have 3 2103FC heads plugged into the D1000 pack and one 2020 or 2010 head in the 4th outlet on the pack, are the 2020 and 2010 rated high enough to prevent any problems? I take it mixing heads is okay as long as they are all Novatron, but I would like confirmation on this as well.

Additionally, I read that someone had purchased an original Novatron kit with 2020s and 2010s and the pack that came with it was the 1600 pack, so I think that these lights must be at least 1000 w/s rated.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2009 10:58 |  #2

The 2010 and 2020 heads are rated at 1000 w/s max. Doing a little research out of curiosity I find that the newer heads like you have require an adaptor to be used on older packs. I was unable to determine if older heads require an adaptor to be used on new packs like yours. Naturally, the same rule about using a single stop down head (stopped down) alone still applies but if they do work with your pack it should be safe to use them along with the heads you have.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Underscore
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 13, 2009 11:00 |  #3

breal, thanks a bunch.

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2009 23:50 |  #4

I thought the old 20xx series heads were rated at 500 Ws each. However, if you use two heads on a 1,000 Ws pack, each is getting 500 Ws. If you use four heads on a 1,000 Ws pack, each head is getting 250 Ws. If you want to use one head with the 1,000 Ws pack, then turn the pack down to 500 Ws or 250 Ws.

You can use the old heads on new packs, but to go the other way, you need Novatron's adaptor. I've got a couple of old packs, but I have enough old heads that I don't ever have to use new heads on them and the old heads have worked just fine on the new packs. The difference between the old heads and new heads, besides the Ws rating, it the presence of a ground pin on the new heads. There is no place for the pin to plug into on the old packs. You can tell them apart by the color of the plastic insulation. One old packs it is blue and on the new packs it is black.

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 14, 2009 00:38 |  #5

As indicated in Jim M's post, the 20XX heads are rated at 500 Ws, not 1000 Ws.

Most 21XX heads are rated at 1000 Ws, but there are a few special purpose 21XX heads rated at 1500 or 1600 Ws, they typically have a cooling fan.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,862 views & 0 likes for this thread
Novatron 2020/2010 strobes compatible with D1000 pack
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.