Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jul 2009 (Monday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d MK II autofocus problems

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 13, 2009 17:19 |  #16

The only unusual AF related thing I've noticed with the mkII is that when I used my 3-cereal box set up to do microadjustment on my 70-200/4 IS (at 200mm and f4) the AF would search badly. I use center AF point about 99.9% of the time.

When I backed off the focal length a bit (150 mm?), AF worked fine. Also, at 200 mm, if I used all 9 AF points, the AF worked fine! I thought it would be worst, since a few of the AF points were "on" the front or back box!!??

I had no AF problems when I microadjusted my 24-105 or 200/2.8.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2009 17:23 |  #17

Any chance you are using AI-Servo? That never locks -- for it's always focusing.

Dave Hoffmann

Kinky
83 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 13, 2009 17:32 |  #18

oaktree wrote in post #8274151 (external link)
The only unusual AF related thing I've noticed with the mkII is that when I used my 3-cereal box set up to do microadjustment on my 70-200/4 IS (at 200mm and f4) the AF would search badly. I use center AF point about 99.9% of the time.

When I backed off the focal length a bit (150 mm?), AF worked fine. Also, at 200 mm, if I used all 9 AF points, the AF worked fine! I thought it would be worst, since a few of the AF points were "on" the front or back box!!??

I had no AF problems when I microadjusted my 24-105 or 200/2.8.

Have you micro adjusted your lenses correctly?
How exactly are you micro adjusting them?

I thought I've had the same problem as you, until I had my lenses all calibrated and micro adjusted properly and the dust cleaned off.

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2009 17:36 as a reply to  @ Kinky's post |  #19

The orignal post speaks to low light AF?

:confused:

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

Kinky
83 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 14, 2009 00:52 |  #20

westernminnguy wrote in post #8274225 (external link)
The orignal post speaks to low light AF?

:confused:

Oh.. I always carry a flashlight to deal with those situations. Once I have it auto focused, I switch it on to manual focus then work from there.
I'm too obsessed over the overall camera to worry about it~

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 14, 2009 05:54 |  #21

If you take pictures in a room with the lights turned down and shooting into a cupboard, then yes, you might have a problem focusing.

For any shot where you can actually hand hold a lens and get a sharp image, the 5DII probably will work fine.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 14, 2009 10:31 |  #22

Hey! Just what the hell is wrong with cupboard shooting? It's an accepted genre of photography. Just because you don't shoot it, doesn't mean others don't enjoy it!

;-)a

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 14, 2009 11:36 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #23

ictionalfuture wrote in post #8273439 (external link)
Hi Yogi so you use a £100 wireless transmitter for the infared af assist, clever... Expensive ...but it might do the trick, Not good for shooting concerts though where no flash is allowed as i bet the bouncers will see it an take it straight off the menu.

the ST-E2 is NOT a flash though, just the IR (or whatever) transmitter, but it helps with AF a lot in the dark as needed....

ed rader wrote in post #8274065 (external link)
i've never used the 5d II but i did own the 5d and it's supposed to have the same AF.

:rolleyes:

it's not the same. Do we have to deal with this every time someone is unhappy with the AF on the 5Dii? It's got the same sensors, yes, but the processing has changed. It's better. How much better depends on the user and how they use it, but for me it's a nice improvement. I've never used a 50D, but a 40D... With my 40D it had cross type sensors, sure, and they'd work much better than my original 5D, but when I switched to the 5Dii, I actually prefer it's AF better in super low light. W/o cross type sensors YOU have to help it out by finding something in the scene that goes the right direction and has contrast. It's not that hard in practice. Once you've learned that the crappy 5Dii will AF in super low light using outer points. It's center point is MUCH better than the 40D. My issue with the 40D is the outer points do work, they're just slow and note as accurate once they think they're done. The 5Dii takes longer, but is more accurate. It depends on what you're shooting as to which is better.

and obviously, I'd LOVE the 5Dii to have all cross points as well, but it's accuracy at the center point is so good I've learned to work with it's other flaws.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 14, 2009 11:50 |  #24

The 5D's center point is noticeably more accuraret than the 40D's, in my experience.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 22, 2009 14:17 |  #25

How does the ST-E2 help exactly?

The other night in a dull room, the focus was struggling. I swapped to manual focus for a while, went back to AF and it worked for a few shots just fine...then went back to losing itself again. No matter how far back from my chosen subject i went, it just couldn't lock.

Dave-Flickr (external link)
5D2 + a couple primes

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
7,049 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 22, 2009 16:50 |  #26

I had this problem recently in a museum, I was trying to shoot childrens reactions to dinosaur bones, the children would move way too fast for the 5D mkII to focus. I couldn't use manual focus because they would approach from different spots. I was really kind of disappointed. This was the outer focus points but I was upset because this is the exact same problem I have with my xsi and get frustrated with that camera. Eventually I got the picture though

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 22, 2009 17:32 |  #27

drb5 wrote in post #8325462 (external link)
How does the ST-E2 help exactly?

The other night in a dull room, the focus was struggling. I swapped to manual focus for a while, went back to AF and it worked for a few shots just fine...then went back to losing itself again. No matter how far back from my chosen subject i went, it just couldn't lock.

ST-E2 has a focus assist beam, so in one shot mode it can allow any Canon camera focus in complete darkness so long as the subject is within range of the focus assist beam.

For any shot where you can actually hand hold a lens and get a sharp image, the 5DII probably will work fine

Maybe. I've shot my 1D3 + 85L in conditions of ISO 3200, f/1.2 and 1/80 which is quite dark. My 5D would not do it even with the center point.

And worse lenses for AF like the 50/1.4 which is still otherwise fast enough for very dark shooting make the situation even worse. Even my 1D3 can struggle with that lens when I'm at ISO3200, f/1.4 and 1/60 or so (which is handholdable).

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 01:28 |  #28

Thanks Jeffrey.

So i don't need a Speedlite hooked up to it, to work? Should it fix the problem completely?

5D2 + a couple primes

Suedezu
Goldmember
1,512 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 23, 2009 02:49 |  #29

When you need to focus in dim lit places I recommend using either the ST-E2 or your Speedlite with the flash-firing option set to off.

A couple of days ago I did an Orthodox baptism ceremony in a church that can be considered pitch dark and had no problems focusing using the above method using ALL focus points.

General gallery: http://andreimorar.zen​folio.com (external link)Commercial wedding photography:www.andrei-morar.ro
[/SIZE][/FONT]

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 04:22 |  #30

I've never had a Speedlite before, so will all the EX flashes work well enough that way, or is it only the higher end ones?

5D2 + a couple primes

sponsored links

10,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d MK II autofocus problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.