Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jul 2009 (Monday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d MK II autofocus problems

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2009 06:49 |  #31

JeffreyG wrote in post #8326439 (external link)
ST-E2 has a focus assist beam, so in one shot mode it can allow any Canon camera focus in complete darkness so long as the subject is within range of the focus assist beam.

Maybe. I've shot my 1D3 + 85L in conditions of ISO 3200, f/1.2 and 1/80 which is quite dark. My 5D would not do it even with the center point.

And worse lenses for AF like the 50/1.4 which is still otherwise fast enough for very dark shooting make the situation even worse. Even my 1D3 can struggle with that lens when I'm at ISO3200, f/1.4 and 1/60 or so (which is handholdable).

Fortunately I've never had to or felt like taking a shot under such conditions but I do acknowledge that sometimes a lens/camera combo that can do that would be useful, for some.

I do have a flash, whether for the assist or the the additional light, so I'm covered if I find myself in that situation.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Suedezu
Goldmember
1,512 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 23, 2009 08:10 |  #32

drb5 wrote in post #8329044 (external link)
I've never had a Speedlite before, so will all the EX flashes work well enough that way, or is it only the higher end ones?

I have the 580 II but I would guess all flashes would work for AF-assist pretty much the same. After all all they need to do is emit a red grid pattern providing enough light for the cameras AF system to work in dim light.

General gallery: http://andreimorar.zen​folio.com (external link)Commercial wedding photography:www.andrei-morar.ro
[/SIZE][/FONT]

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 09:44 |  #33

Top stuff, thanks for that.

:)

Dave-Flickr (external link)
5D2 + a couple primes

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 23, 2009 10:08 |  #34

JeffreyG wrote in post #8326439 (external link)
Maybe. I've shot my 1D3 + 85L in conditions of ISO 3200, f/1.2 and 1/80 which is quite dark. My 5D would not do it even with the center point.

Really....? Maybe your 5D is broken because I've shot a lot of stuff with my 5D in those kinds of conditions.

Just an example of the impossible made possible, this photo was taken at 1/60, f/1.8, ISO 5000, using (gasp!!) an off center focus point!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Another...

1/60, f/1.6, ISO 6400
IMAGE: http://www.timnosenzo.com/photos/483323917_RxNnY-L-1.jpg

I didn't use a Speedlite or any kind of focus assist for either of those photos.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the stuff I read around here about the 5D's AF drives me insane. People act like it's totally useless. Maybe I'm just used to it... while I know that a 1 series offers a better AF system, the 5D's is very capable if you understand it and know it's limits. Personally, I have had a pretty positive experience with it, and I trash VERY few pictures due to them being OOF.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 10:25 |  #35

It's a bit "on-off" the AF.

Sometimes it locks on, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can sit for it hunting(shutter half pressed) and eventually it'll lock.

In your above pics, what spot were you focussing on exactly?

5D2 + a couple primes

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 23, 2009 11:15 |  #36

drb5 wrote in post #8330348 (external link)
In your above pics, what spot were you focusing on exactly?

I usually look for areas of high contrast, because that is what the AF sensors are sensitive to.

I believe in the first picture I focused on the shadow across his face, and on the second one I focused on his eye.

Easiest way to use the 5D's AF is to understand which type of contrast it is sensitive to. The center sensor is cross type and therefore sensitive to horizontal and vertical contract, while the outer points are only sensitive to either horizontal or vertical contrast, depending on the point. If you're using an outer point that is only sensitive to vertical contrast, but you're trying to focus on something with horizontal contrast, you will likely not achieve focus, regardless of how good the light is.

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 11:26 |  #37

Ok thanks.

The other night i was struggling with the AF while taking some pics of my fiancees sister, who is heavily pregnant.

I was aiming the centre point directly at her belly. It was white and quite tight, which led me to believe the camera was hunting, as there wasn't enough to catch the focus on....meaning plain white with no edges to catch. Dunno if this could have been the problem or not, but it appears possible.

More testing has to be done and will try your suggestions.

5D2 + a couple primes

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 12:38 |  #38

Ok. Done a quick, small test and my centre point seems to be just as accurate as the others.

However, none pick up a smooth flat object, without an edge. Things like a plain bit of card or plastic are a no-no, but if you catch the edge of said item with the focus point, it grabs it instantly. The points need to get a glimpse of a texture it seems...

Are others finding the same?

5D2 + a couple primes

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 23, 2009 13:07 |  #39

drb5 wrote in post #8330976 (external link)
However, none pick up a smooth flat object, without an edge. Things like a plain bit of card or plastic are a no-no, but if you catch the edge of said item with the focus point, it grabs it instantly. The points need to get a glimpse of a texture it seems...

Are others finding the same?

That's normal. The system needs contrast to figure out if something is in focus. Something flat, like a wall, doesn't have any lines of contrast, so there's no way for the AF system to figure out if it's in focus.

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 13:11 |  #40

Figured as much. Just checked the manual....

When autofocus fails:-

Autofocus can fail to achieve focus (the focus confirmation light <o>
blinks) with certain subjects such as the following:
Subjects difficult to focus
Low-contrast subjects
(Example: Blue sky, solid-color walls, etc.)
Subjects in low light
Extremely backlit or reflective subjects
(Example: Car with a reflective body, etc.)
Near and far subjects covered by an AF point
(Example: Animal in a cage, etc.)
Repetitive patterns
(Example: Skyscraper windows, computer keyboards, etc.)
In such cases, do one of the following:
(1) With One-Shot AF, focus an object at the same distance as the
subject and lock the focus before recomposing (p.50).
(2) Set the lens focus mode switch to <MF> and focus manually.

Makes me wonder why it's worse than my old 40 and 50D's though.

5D2 + a couple primes

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2009 13:24 as a reply to  @ drb5's post |  #41

You could always buy a Nikon D700 with the best auto focus system in the business.........:cool:

I have only used my 5DMKII in low light a few times, but I have found it to be better than my 5D overall. I sold the 5D and picked up a new Nikon D700. I`m very impressed with the Nikon's capability.
I`m in the process of comparison testing. It`s no contest when it comes to AF. The Nikon is much, much better.
The Canon 5dMKII has a darker image with heavy red tones when shooting in low light using flash. The Canon has heavy red tones overall too.
I`m taking them both out for available light testing today.....;)

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 23, 2009 13:35 |  #42

drdiesel1 wrote in post #8331243 (external link)
You could always buy a Nikon D700

eeeeeehhhhh, no.

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2009 13:38 |  #43

timnosenzo wrote in post #8331306 (external link)
eeeeeehhhhh, no.

:lol:

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

drb5
266 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2009 13:49 as a reply to  @ drdiesel1's post |  #44

:D Lol

5D2 + a couple primes

vreeke
257 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 23, 2009 13:54 |  #45

i'm sports photographer so i need hig shutterspeed an lots of light OR high ISO.

5D mark can handel high ISO bud bud bud is the AF fast enough.

who can tell me after trying please?

1D3 - 24-70mm 2,8 - 85mm 1.2 - 300mm 2,8 IS wow

sponsored links

10,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d MK II autofocus problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.