Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 09:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Utility of high precision screen EG-S ?

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2009 09:22 |  #1

Hello,

I wonder if EG-S screen will be a good improvement for my gear ?

My gear : 5D², 50 f1.4, 85L, 70-200f4, 24-105L and in a near future : 135L and 35L)

What would be the differences ? Will my focus be more precise even if I shoot with AF ?

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 14, 2009 11:29 |  #2

My understanding is that it only helps with MF, not AF. And, only on faster lenses, like you have and will get. Brighter image to compose with as well. ??

GEAR LIST

cherrymoon
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2009 12:47 |  #3

Ok thanx I was not sure it was only useable for MF.

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

ALT1MATE
451 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 14, 2009 14:38 |  #4

I have the Ee-S for my 5D and its amazing. You can really see if you got the area you want in focus. Easily the best under $30 accessory I've bought.

Be warned though slower glass (3.5 and up) will dim the VF.

Ian
5D2 l Siggy50
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15381221#po​st15381221Gear
Feedback

sleepo
248 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2009 16:42 |  #5

I just got the Eg-S for my 5d2, and I have a similar set of lenses to you (cherrymoon).

It's great. It makes MF much more accurate with my fast primes. With my f/4 zooms the VF is quite a bit dimmer, but definitely useable (especially outside, when it's just fine). I do not consider the focus screen to be field switchable - though I'm sure you could try - so I'm just leaving my Eg-S in the camera.

As gasrocks said it does nothing technical to aid AF however I find the shallower DOF in the VF (vs the normal focus screen) to be a great benefit even when using AF. The stock screen doesn't accurately show DOF shallower than about f/4 in the VF -- so when you have a fast lens wide open (which it will be, unless you press the dof preview) you can't judge what is and is not in the narrow DOF, when using the stock screen. You can demonstrate this by looking at the DOF through the VF, then taking a shot and comparing the DOF on the LCD. When you use the Eg-S screen the VF and final image look much more similar.

Sorry I'm not explaining this very well but happy to answer questions as a recent and happy 5d2/Eg-S owner :)

http://flickr.com/phot​os/stephenhildrey/ (external link)

darrellcraig
33 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 15, 2009 01:38 |  #6

I got it about a month ago and agree with all of sleepo's comments. All my primes are f/2 or faster, only zoom is 70-200/4IS. The Eg-S seems perfectly usable in daylight with that lens, haven't tried it in low light however. I don't plan to swap out screens either - seems to fragile to carry around.

Gear: 5D2, 20D, 24LII, 24/2.8, 35L, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 430EXII, misc. film cameras and other goodies.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,905 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 15, 2009 03:33 |  #7

I have been using an -s type focusing screen since getting a 40D (Ef-S). After that the EE-S on the 5D, and now with the 5D II, the Eg-S, which I ordered at the same time I ordered the 5D II.

If anything, the Eg-S is even better than the others, maybe because the VF of the 5D II is slightly brighter too, but I find it is even easier to MF than with the -s screens on the 40D and 5D.

The view through the finder is supposed to be dimmer, but to be very honest, I haven't really noticed this with the 5D II, although I did to some degree with 5D and 40D. I reckon the difference is probably in the order of 1/3 of a stop. As far as I can see, I have absolutely no troubles with my slower lenses either, or in low light for that matter. I actually checked the different screen settings in-camera for the light meter with this screen (Eg-A vs Eg-S), and didn't notice a difference in metering. So the difference can't really be that big, when it comes to brightness.

The difference with AF is only that you will be able to see better whether the AF nailed it or not, and you will have a better idea of DoF distributution.

BTW, I did use a split wedge focusing screen with the 40D, too, but found it to be less accurate. The big advantage of the -s types of focusing screen is that it is easy to focus with any part of the screen, so no need to recompose. This brings me right back to my analog days, when I used a similar focusing screen. Great stuff :D.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

sleepo
248 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 15, 2009 16:36 |  #8

wimg wrote in post #8283044 (external link)
The big advantage of the -s types of focusing screen is that it is easy to focus with any part of the screen, so no need to recompose.

Agreed - I love that - and it saves me from the 5D2's mediocre AF point distribution :-)

http://flickr.com/phot​os/stephenhildrey/ (external link)

Jeff81
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2009 17:56 |  #9

They finally got them in at B&H. Just ordered one for my 5D2.

6D | Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, Canon 85 f/1.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

2,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Utility of high precision screen EG-S ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.