Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 14 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Back from 2 weeks in Europe

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 14, 2009 15:21 |  #1

Hey guys,

Just got back from Europe and took tons of pics... not sure i really like any of them... but it was my first time really putting my dslr to use.. carried my xs, 10-22, 50mm and 18-55IS.

critique away i want to learn...

i don't usually see members post links...it's not against the rules is it?

http://www.flickr.com …ts/721576192949​06949/show (external link)

sponsored links
butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 14, 2009 15:28 |  #2

no not against the rules but folks dont like going of site just post pics here

masterwillems
502 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 14, 2009 15:35 as a reply to  @ butugly's post |  #3

Just a quick peek, but they all look OOF to me.

Hello!
Gear

Name:
Jeroen

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 14, 2009 16:08 |  #4

At least you got to see Versailles in nice weather. Yep, hard to critique without reference to an image, but here goes:

Certain detail images making geometric designs are quite nice. Good eye on those. Some shots, like the gondolier's back seem purposeless. Also some overexposed, washed out images in the Venice choices. You probably went overboard on the wide-angles--too many to no apparent point other than you had the capability.
Everything would have benefited from more depth of field--using a smaller aperture and bracing the camera or using a small tripod--almost everything, including the neat stuff has some out-of-focus areas like the floor tiles under the sneakers shot.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 14, 2009 16:16 as a reply to  @ advaitin's post |  #5

yeah i'm a super noob still.. i know a little about the av setting and the tv setting and iso on my camera.. and my photoshop skills consist of crop and resize..

maybe i need glasses? i just either use the autofocus thing or select a spot manual and fire away.. maybe i need to slowdown and make sure i don't shake too much.. not sure since i was always go go go.. moving and shooting cause it was a vacation lol

thanks guys.. it was actually quite a task carrying those lens with me.. i got the wide specifically for this trip cause people were saying you'll need it to fit everything on the narrow streets..

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 14, 2009 16:32 |  #6

On my 2007 trip, which covered Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Belgium Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain and England in four months, I carried an XTi, 10-22, 17-85 IS and 70-300 IS and picked up a 50 1.4 in Paris for poorly lit museums. The 17-85 was my work horse doing about 85-90 percent of my shots. The 10-22 covered nine percent and the 70-300 barely edged out the 50mm for last place.

Earlier this year we returned for a month, mostly in Italy, and I used a 5DM2, 15mm fisheye, 16-35L, 24-105L IS, 70-200 f4 L IS and extenders. I did not carry everything all at once except in transit. Mostly I carried on a daily basis what I suspected I would find handy. Vatican and Coliseum were good fisheye locations, but I made certain to mix the lens use as much as possible. A photo vest with padded pockets was my daily bag.

I make good use of a monopod and have a lightweight Gitzo tripod that is very compact for those rare times when I really need one, like night shots.

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 14, 2009 19:23 as a reply to  @ advaitin's post |  #7

somebody told me
---------------
the reason these photos dont seem sharp is because of diffraction. a lot of your shots were shot at f/20 or f/22

for a large depth of field and optimal sharpness with your wide angle, try to stay between f/8-f/11 using aperture priority mode (although it will still be quite sharp even wide open)

---------------

i see i think i was using shutter priority for a lot of pics

is this considered sharper and more in focus?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

also how would you change this picture to give it more "life" just crank up the contrast?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 16, 2009 11:33 |  #8

Just a quick spin in CS4 Photoshop, levels, saturation, photo filter warming and a touch of sharpening.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 16, 2009 11:51 |  #9

OK, I took a look at some stuff I shot in 2007 in Europe where I was going for wide angle and everything still seems sharp. The smallest aperture (bench in Bruges) was f22 and taken with a 17-85 at 26mm. The widest shot (Nimes amphitheater) was with the 10-22 at 10mm and f10. These are small samples, but the prints look nice. I'm beginning to think it might be lens distortion with your particular lens--I just don't know for sure.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 16, 2009 13:33 |  #10

I just realized that you don't have "Image editing OK" on your sig. We really aren't supposed to be doing suggested treatments to your images unless you specificall allow for it.

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 16, 2009 13:59 as a reply to  @ advaitin's post |  #11

thanks... fixed the editing pics thing...

lens distortion.. i've got a filter on it.. how would i test it?

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 16, 2009 15:04 |  #12

Filter on the lens or software filter?

shaolinmonk
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 16, 2009 18:17 |  #13

advaitin wrote in post #8291976 (external link)
Filter on the lens or software filter?

filter on the lens

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 16, 2009 21:45 |  #14

Find a nice brick wall and use it to try different things. 1. Squared to the wall so you can determine pincushion or barrel distortion--run through the major f-stops with the filter and, then, without the filter--also at different millimeter settings.

Do the same with angled shots like your buildings in Europe so you can see how stopping down effects the images. Keep careful notes. Use a tripod so that each series is alike.

If there is a problem, you'll begin to see the pattern develop.

sponsored links

1,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Back from 2 weeks in Europe
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.