Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 00:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

REVIEW: CHEETAHstand Cheetah8 Light Stand

RichNY
Goldmember
1,817 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 15, 2009 13:27 |  #16

Brett wrote in post #8285372 (external link)
Thanks for the review Robert. I remember seeing the video where the photog moves in and out of the pews (which I believe was the KwikStand) and searching for it, but it wasn't available anywhere I could find.

http://www.scottkelby.​com/blog/2008/archives​/1767 (external link)

Nikon D3, D300, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2, 300 f/2.8, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, SB-800x4, SB-900, SU-800, (3) Sunpak 120J (2) Profoto Acute 2400s,Chimera softboxes, (4)PW Multimax, (6) C-stands, (3) Bogen Superbooms, Autopoles

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2009 13:48 as a reply to  @ post 8285372 |  #17

Hi Brett,

That was the Scott Kelby video where he mentioned moving in and out of the pews, and he was using the second generation Kwik Stand.

Construction of the Cheetah8 is very good. The clamps are make of plastic with metal washers but considering that the stand is made for lightweight flashes and modifiers I don't see it being any problem. I have heavy duty Impact stands with plastic clamps and have yet to have any issues so I wouldn't worry about the clamps.

The legs are rectangular instead of round tubes and the action is smooth and easy when lifting up the stand and placing it back down. There are rubber tips on the end of the legs but the design is such that the legs and feet don't make contact with the floor until they are completely opened. This avoids any and all binding.

The stand is not air cushioned and personally I don't think it needs to be or should be. When you're shooting events and working quickly you don't want to have to fight the air cushioning if you want to drop the height quickly.

Keeping in mind that the stand is designed to be lightweight and highly portable, allowing you to pick it up and move it with one hand, I think the design is quite good. Any steel or additional aluminum components would add to the weight and cost so I think Edward Tang has taken the right approach.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

H2OSkier
228 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 15, 2009 15:00 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #18

Robert,

Just curious, when picking up or setting down how much noise if any does the stand make ? I was thinking in certain situations it would be nice if the stand was pretty quiet.

Ken

Gear List

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2009 16:37 |  #19

H2OSkier wrote in post #8286058 (external link)
Robert,

Just curious, when picking up or setting down how much noise if any does the stand make ? I was thinking in certain situations it would be nice if the stand was pretty quiet.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Metal hitting metal is definitely going to make some noise. It would be nice if the stand were quiet or silent. I've spoken to Edward Tang about this and it's something he might look into as an upgrade or modification but more than likely it won't be at the top of the list of things to change and I'm sure that with a little ingenuity I/you/we could come up with something to dampen or pad things down to kill some of the noise.

Although Scott Kelby is hyping this type of stand as something to use in a church during the ceremony, I see it as more useful during the reception, at parties, on the dance floor, for location on-the-fly portrait work, etc. In all of those situations, the small amount of noise the stand makes will hardly be an issue.

Robert

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2009 17:04 |  #20

Robtert - Have you tried this stand in outdoors environment?

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2009 21:17 |  #21

bobbyz wrote in post #8286646 (external link)
Robtert - Have you tried this stand in outdoors environment?

Hi Bobby,

I haven't used the stand outdoors but as I mentioned in my review, it's lightweight and has a footprint of 32.5", so if I was to use it outdoors I don't think I would do so without having an assistant holding it or using sandbags on the legs. Without the weight or a person holding it I suspect it's either destined to be on the ground or a 'kite' waiting to happen. :D

That's no different from any other light weight, compact stand so I don't see it as a negative. With proper sandbagging (is that a word?, lol) I think it would be just fine. I always have m sandbags with me so in time I'm sure to find out how the Cheetah Stand fares on outdoor location shoots.

Robert

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2009 21:34 |  #22

TMR Design wrote in post #8287790 (external link)
Hi Bobby,

I haven't used the stand outdoors but as I mentioned in my review, it's lightweight and has a footprint of 32.5", so if I was to use it outdoors I don't think I would do so without having an assistant holding it or using sandbags on the legs. Without the weight or a person holding it I suspect it's either destined to be on the ground or a 'kite' waiting to happen. :D

That's no different from any other light weight, compact stand so I don't see it as a negative. With proper sandbagging (is that a word?, lol) I think it would be just fine. I always have m sandbags with me so in time I'm sure to find out how the Cheetah Stand fares on outdoor location shoots.

Thanks.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 15, 2009 22:05 |  #23

Thanks Robert.
I may have to order one just for the novelty of the design. I was fascinated by the way it works in that video, and anything that speeds setup is a bonus.

flickr (external link)

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2009 22:25 |  #24

Brett wrote in post #8288039 (external link)
Thanks Robert.
I may have to order one just for the novelty of the design. I was fascinated by the way it works in that video, and anything that speeds setup is a bonus.

I think you'll like the stand. It's far better than a Bogen Nano and so many other compact stands.

Robert

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 21, 2009 14:10 |  #25

Brett wrote in post #8285372 (external link)
Thanks for the review Robert. I remember seeing the video where the photog moves in and out of the pews (which I believe was the KwikStand) and searching for it, but it wasn't available anywhere I could find.

Glad someone's making these now. Any other comments on the construction? Is it built as nicely as some of the stands in its price range? How smooth is the opening/closing action? Do the feet have rubber tips, and if so, do they bind up on hardwood or linoleum/tile when opening? How are the clamps (plastic or aluminum)? I assume it's not air-cushioned?

TIA. :)

I need to make a correction. Before I carefully inspected some of the components I made the assumption that the clamps were plastic. As it turns out they are in fact made of Aluminum.

Robert

roanjohn
Goldmember
3,805 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jul 21, 2009 16:30 |  #26

Sounds interesting......... this might be something I'll take with me to a wedding.

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2009 07:01 |  #27

Just noticed that Denny now has a version of this currently on sale: http://www.dennymfg.co​m …ask=view&Itemid​=66&id=367 (external link)

Also, if you are a NAPP member, you now get $10 off the Cheetah stands

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 22, 2009 07:10 |  #28

DerekW wrote in post #8871532 (external link)
Just noticed that Denny now has a version of this currently on sale: http://www.dennymfg.co​m …ask=view&Itemid​=66&id=367 (external link)

Also, if you are a NAPP member, you now get $10 off the Cheetah stands

Hi Derek,

I checked out and compared the Denny stand to the Cheetah. No comparison. The build quality and construction of the Denny is not nearly as good. They use plastic components and a flimsy build.

Scott Kelby is going to be endorsing and using the Cheetah stand and has very positive things to say about it.

With a lot of this kind of stuff you really have to see one and have it in front of you to judge quality. In my opinion, the Denny stand isn't very good for the small savings.

Robert

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 22, 2009 08:38 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #29

Check it out:

http://www.markeric.co​m/?p=1335 (external link)

http://www.rkd-photo.com …a-solution-for-strobists/ (external link)

Robert

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2009 13:00 |  #30

Cool Robert, The Denny's are a fair bit cheaper right now on sale, but it's a case of getting what you pay for again. If you have them for 5 years, the cost difference per year is insignificant.

So the import part now is that they are a NAPP supplier, and you do save $10.
NAPP is a great deal with all the savings you get. I've already paid for my membership with free B&H shipping (Ordered 3 rolls of 9' seamless), some software discounts, and books that I've bought.

sponsored links

31,686 views & 0 likes for this thread
REVIEW: CHEETAHstand Cheetah8 Light Stand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.