Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me solve my banding/"quilt-look" problem

Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 00:30 |  #1

Hi all, this is coming out of another thread where I was asking for C&C on this photo. After posting it up, someone made me realize this odd and very noticeable banding/quilt-looking effect in the green leafy background in most of the pic (but not on the flower at all; it is seen mostly on the left side in the green and also on the right side and bottom green).
Can anyone help me explain why this effect happened in this photo and shows very easily with the little PP tweaks I did? I am worried that it could possibly be a camera or lens issue but I looked through all my other photos taken with this body and/or lens, and I haven't really noticed it anywhere else (as far as I can tell).
The photo was taken in RAW at 200 ISO, and no other abnormal settings, just typical to get the right exposure, and a little cleanup was done in LR2. Taken with my EOS 50D and Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens.

EXIF:
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture:
f/1.8
Focal Length:
50mm
Exposure:
+0.57
ISO Speed:
Exposure Bias:
0 EV
Flash: Off

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2009 00:31 |  #2

Did you have to pull up the exposure?
If so, by how much?

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 15, 2009 00:32 |  #3

Do you have the 50D's latest firmware ? Have you also updated LR' ACR ?

http://web.canon.jp …rm-e/eos50d/firmware.html (external link)

http://www.adobe.com …/photoshop/came​raraw.html (external link)

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2009 00:35 as a reply to  @ silvex's post |  #4

Also, it cleans up nicely using NR...

IMAGE: http://nicksan.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p256639665.jpg

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 00:41 |  #5

nicksan wrote in post #8282548 (external link)
Did you have to pull up the exposure?
If so, by how much?

I had done a little upping of the exposure (EXIF says +0.57) and a little fill light (+24), but otherwise just what you see in the link to the extended EXIF.

silvex-I have the latest 50D fw, 1.0.6.
What's the Lightroom ACR?

nicksan- what did you use for NR? I had used LR2's NR to it's fullest (luminance smoothing and color NR), but didn't help much I guess. Also, I think your NR softened up the middle of the flower a little, no?

But really, why is this weird pattern there in the first place??

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2009 00:48 |  #6

Guts311 wrote in post #8282601 (external link)
I had done a little upping of the exposure (EXIF says +0.57) and a little fill light (+24), but otherwise just what you see in the link to the extended EXIF.

silvex-I have the latest 50D fw, 1.0.6.
What's the Lightroom ACR?

nicksan- what did you use for NR? I had used LR2's NR to it's fullest (luminance smoothing and color NR), but didn't help much I guess. Also, I think your NR softened up the middle of the flower a little, no?

But really, why is this weird pattern there in the first place??

Remember, I was working with a small JPEG! I used Nik dFine 2.x. It has a de-banding feature which does a decent job.

Half stop exposure and +24 fill light *might* do the trick as far as introducing banding. I know my 5DMKII is that way too...not sure what margin I have until it does finally appear however. You would think at ISO200, you would have a pretty large margin...:confused:

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 00:49 |  #7

Exactly, I didn't expect this at such a slow ISO.

I'm just worried that there's an issue with my new 50D body or my nifty fifty :(

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2009 00:51 |  #8

Guts311 wrote in post #8282625 (external link)
Exactly, I didn't expect this at such a slow ISO.

I'm just worried that there's an issue with my new 50D body or my nifty fifty :(

No, it's not your nifty.
As another member mentioned, have you updated to the latest firmware? I remember seeing something about it taking care of banding issues...but IIRC, that was horizontal banding?

I just checked some images from my 5DMKII...underexposed ISO1600 ones. Pulled it back up about a stop, then fill light +24...no banding. Hmmm...In fact I usually only begin to see traces of banding when I am using ISO12800. At ISO25600, it's banding galore however.

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 00:53 |  #9

For the 50D? Yeah above I had said that it has the latest 1.0.6.

As for LR, I am updating to a newer revision of v2 but I don't think that'll make a difference.

Silvex asked me if I had updated LR' ACR...what's that? Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw? Huh? Two diff programs I thought..

EDIT: Also I just tried both NRs in DPP on the real full-sized JPEG and neither did anything...

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2009 00:55 |  #10

Don't have a 50D...otherwise I would take a shot for you right now then pull it back up, etc...
All I can tell you is that I have seen the same type of thing happen with my 5D MKII. But again, not sure on how much it takes for banding to appear.

We are talking about the darker area of the frame, which will show banding more easily so...

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 01:00 |  #11

Alright well I'll keep an eye on future photos and try out a few PP level increases to see how I can recreate the pattern again in other files if I can.

Thanks for the responses, and please, if anyone else has any ideas, let me know! :)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 15, 2009 01:17 |  #12

What version of LR are you using?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 01:21 |  #13

When I edited the pic, it was 2.3, but I just updated to 2.4. But I think that's irrelevant as I can slightly see the banding/quilting in the original untouched RAW file..the PP just brought it out more in the dark areas. I will post up the original RAW or JPEG tomorrow.

Gnite all! Check back..

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 15, 2009 01:33 |  #14

Yeah, I don't think it should matter either, but thought I'd ask. Do you see it in other shots as well?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2009 08:58 |  #15

Haven't really seen that in any other photos taken with that body or lens..but then again I haven't PPed all of my photos to make that sort of thing more noticeable, like I had with the OP photo.
I just don't know..

sponsored links

3,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me solve my banding/"quilt-look" problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.