Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 16 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After 202

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 16, 2009 15:14 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new tricks when it comes to editing.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture that I choose, resized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being resized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 72hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #203".

This is all about having fun so have at it!!!

This round will end Sunday, July 19th at 5PM EST

For fun, I'm going to keep the "easel theme" going from my last one in contest 201. This one has potential for straight-up retouch (which it needs), or something much more mischievous.

IMAGE: http://i25.tinypic.com/27zyiz4.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com​/selzdc.jpg (external link) <----- Higher Resolution File

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)
| FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links
Daniel2000
"Standing in the corner with my foot in my mouth."
1,004 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 16, 2009 17:10 |  #2

did this one just for the fun of it... :p

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i252.photobucke​t.com …0/editing/27zyi​z4copy.jpg (external link)

GEAR LIST
Daniel Belisle - Canon addicted :p
Title origine

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,967 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 16, 2009 17:24 as a reply to  @ Daniel2000's post |  #3

CS2 - levels, shadow/highlight, brightness/contrast, gamma/exposure, desaturate, clone, sharpen photo, photo used in 2 parts in different sizes in 2 panes/layers of the final product, sketch layer man head removed new head inserted, bottom pane upped the contrast & gamma to try to improve a tv image, original females short hair to create long hair to fit our new 'take'.

Take On Me

http://i19.photobucket​.com …78/silentlore/b​na_202.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 16, 2009 19:19 as a reply to  @ Lore's post |  #4

Oops... sorry... redacted my comment.

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 16, 2009 20:44 |  #5

+1 - very clever idea.

No commenting until we are done.

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

Back288
Goldmember
4,331 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2009 01:55 |  #6

I'm not very good at photoshop so there's probably much better ways to do this, but here goes what I remember doing...using CS3, cloned out the sketch on drawing paper, selected the girl by outlining with polygonal lasso, cut and pasted girl onto drawing paper, free transform to make her fit the angle of the drawing paper, cut parts out to make artists hands look like they're above the drawing of the girl, cleaned up rough edges, flattened image, selected drawing paper only using polygonal lasso, cut to make new layer, add artificial clouds, replace onto drawing paper, flatten image, blend edges, select drawing paper with polygonal lasso tool, cut selection out, ran a sketch action that I found online on the background (way too many steps to list here, and yes I cheated and used a free downloaded ps action because as I said, I'm not that good with ps yet :-)), adjusted levels, pasted the drawing paper back onto the background layer, cleaned up rough spots, flattened layers, and that's about it.

http://i113.photobucke​t.com …0Pictures/selzd​c2copy.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Mike
My Gear

ColinUK
149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 17, 2009 08:41 as a reply to  @ Back288's post |  #7

OK, let's see

Cropped
added photos with layer, free transform tool, perspective
again and again and ............etc.

That guy's a great artist!;)

http://i104.photobucke​t.com …vwbus1972/selzd​c-copy.jpg (external link)

SX40, SX50.

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 16:14 |  #8

Ok, it’s 5:00 PM EST – So the Contest is now ::: CLOSED:::

Gosh, looks like we are a bit into the summer doldrums with fewer contestants than we normally have, but still we had some outstanding entries all around! Thanks for contributing everyone, and great work – I enjoyed every one of them. Ok, on to the judging – and I’ll critique these in the same order they appeared:

• Daniel: Ha! Ok it did make me laugh out loud, but the stick figure should at least have had a purse, bag, and the cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee. You get a couple of extra points for keeping the shadow of his right hand on the page though. :)

• Lore: Wonderful retro-crush-80’s-MTV homage, and I really like it. The way you split up the cells is a nice touch (all trapezoids, except for one), and I had not seen the “Take On Me” video in 24 years. You actually made me go to YouTube so that I could view it in all of it’s original glory (and then the $%^& song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day – curse you Lore!). Nice job with the TV screen grabs and cleaning them up - which is never an easy task. Overall, an excellent and quite creative entry. Bravo!

• Back288 (Mike): Your comment of “I'm not very good at Photoshop” is pretty far from the truth, and this was a cool entry. I really like what you did with reversing the theme. I am generally pretty fearful of the artistic filters in Photoshop, because in my case it’s like handing a loaded handgun to a 5 year old and letting him run wild. If I’m guessing correctly here, you used the “posterization” filter, and kept some nice quality control. You might have chosen to colorize the artist’s pencil, and I’m not sure that he would color under those binder clips (maybe to the edge?), but those are minor quibbles. Otherwise, nice work!

• Colin: Outstanding! Not only did you dig back through the archives (so that we could enjoy them all again), you picked the most of the past few winners! The mirror in a mirror effect (“descending repeats” for lack of a better phrase) on the artist’s pallet is an excellent touch! I have some very ~minor~ complaints regarding the distortion of the images (I’m guessing you did Free Transform + distort) as it can produce some halos and moiré patterns on this (I’m looking at the sailboat). As I said, very minor – and an excellent entry.

So, with much fanfare (ticker tape, parade, elephants, marching band) the winner is:

Colin!

Great work Colin, a very creative entry and have fun with 203.

Again, nice work by all of the contestants!

I’m off on holiday in few days, and gone for almost a week and a half. Try not to get into too much mischief while I’m gone everyone :D

☼ Christian D.
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,122 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 16:24 |  #9

Awesome job everybody!! I could not muster enough imagination to top any of these great edits!

Congrats Colin on the win!

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 19, 2009 16:38 |  #10

Since I had a case of premature adulation, I'd like to just post again, Lore, that was a VERY creative pull, something that most people would not have come up with at all. You also executed very well. Bravo! You're a winner in my book.

Cheers!

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,122 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 16:44 |  #11

Oh yeah -- Where are you going Chris ? :-)

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 16:52 |  #12

Oh yeah -- Where are you going Chris ?

Nice try Monte, nice try.

You'll just have to wait, and guess Where Am I Now?  :p

☼ Christian D.
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,122 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 16:53 |  #13

Rats :-) Well have a great time!!

ColinUK
149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 19, 2009 17:06 as a reply to  @ monty28428's post |  #14

Thanks Chris!

Well done everyone, great ideas there!

Next one is up here....

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=725889

SX40, SX50.

Daniel2000
"Standing in the corner with my foot in my mouth."
1,004 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 19, 2009 20:11 |  #15

lol
like I said, it was just for the fun of it, I knew from the start it was not a winning entry ;)

and congrats Colin

GEAR LIST
Daniel Belisle - Canon addicted :p
Title origine

sponsored links

2,950 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After 202
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.