Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 06:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Error 99 Woes

gazmorton2000
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 21, 2009 06:17 |  #1

Well, after taking some pics at a friends wedding earlier this year, I decided I enjoyed it that much and wanted to get a bit more serious about my photography so I upgraded my 450D for a slightly used 40D. I couldn't have been happier with the camera and my photography has improved lots in such a short space of time. That was until Error 99 occured with less than 8k shutter actuations. Now the camera is out of warranty but after a few telephone conversations with Canon, and having tried EVERYTHING we concluded it must be shutter related, I agreed to send it to them. It arrived with them last Friday. I received a letter on Saturday saying it has been passed to one of their repair centres to "speed up" my repair. How confused I was when I contacted the repair centre today (Tuesday) to find they knew nothing about it. Turns out, it is still at Canon and awaiting collection for repair from the authorised service centre which will be tomorrow now (Wednesday). What is so frustrating is that I could have taken it to said repair centre as it is a not to distant drive from my house and they would have had it last Thursday, saving a week of messing about. Ahhh well, I guess these things happen but I can't help to be somewhat frustrated that a week will have passed and nothing done about my repair. :(

My 500px (external link) l My Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,147 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 21, 2009 07:58 |  #2

So what did it stop doing? What did you try to clear the condition?

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 21, 2009 08:04 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #3

It stopped doing everything. Just wouldn't function at all. Code 99 everytime I pressed the trigger. I tried eveything I either read on here or was advised by Canon. Lens swap, clean connections, no lens, battery out, different battery, different CF card, with and without battery grip.

My 500px (external link) l My Flickr (external link)

Syracusa
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 22, 2009 10:53 |  #4

Check in LiveView (mode 2).
If you can make a shot in LV without error, i'm afraid you need a new shutter.

(Usually you can take a shot in LV mode1 too, but if it's a shutter problem, there will be a light stripe at the bottom of the pic or similar. I think because in mode 2 the first curtain is electronic.)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

778 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Error 99 Woes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.