Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 18:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick question regarding warranty

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 21, 2009 18:19 |  #1

I'm thinking of buying a 50D from Craigslist. I found a seller but he has no receipt for it. How would I go about claiming the warranty? I guess what I'm trying to ask is would you buy it without a receipt?

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 21, 2009 18:20 |  #2

No receipt, typically no warranty.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 21, 2009 18:27 |  #3

Ahh dang it. I missed out on a brand new 50D and now I gotta resort to CL.

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 21, 2009 18:33 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #4

And even if you have the reciept, unless the camera was gifted to you, the warranty may not work for you.

This is an except from Canon's warranty for a 50D...

"THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT EXTEND TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THE PRODUCT, OR THE PERSON FOR WHOM IT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT, AND STATES YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY."

Full warranty description.....
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …egoryid=215&mod​elid=17499 (external link)

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 21, 2009 18:48 |  #5

Yeah I read that before. I was just curious about the receipt though. I mean a lot of people buy and sell cameras and lenses on this forum so I was just curious if they really care about the warranty.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 21, 2009 19:07 |  #6

Buying an item < 1 year old does have it's benefits, unless there is no receipt to go along with it. It should affect the final selling price, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 21, 2009 19:42 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #7

Not having a reciept also may have other implications, like you don't know in what way the seller may have "acquired" the item he's selling. At least having a reciept with the sellers name on it bears some proof of ownership and you lessen the chance of getting something warm to the touch, at least on a Craigslist purchase. A POTN seller I wouldn't worry too much about a reciept.

I don't how the prices are on a used 50D, but you might find something here as a refurb that fits your price range and carries a 1 year warranty from the seller. I've purchased refurb lenses and have been satisfied.
http://www.adorama.com …rchinfo=50d%20r​efurbished (external link)

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 21, 2009 20:38 |  #8

bohdank wrote in post #8320932 (external link)
Buying an item < 1 year old does have it's benefits, unless there is no receipt to go along with it. It should affect the final selling price, imo.

Yeah for sure. I will talk with the seller and go from there. :cool:

Mark_48 wrote:
Not having a reciept also may have other implications, like you don't know in what way the seller may have "acquired" the item he's selling. At least having a reciept with the sellers name on it bears some proof of ownership and you lessen the chance of getting something warm to the touch, at least on a Craigslist purchase. A POTN seller I wouldn't worry too much about a reciept.

I don't how the prices are on a used 50D, but you might find something here as a refurb that fits your price range and carries a 1 year warranty from the seller. I've purchased refurb lenses and have been satisfied.
http://www.adorama.com​/SearchSite/De...%20re​furbished (external link)

Adorama looks good. I did look at their used/refurbished 50D but I could easily get a new one for the same price. I could have bought a new one for less than $1000 but I missed out.

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 21, 2009 21:08 |  #9

What is it with warranties not following the item to a new owner? Why should a manufacturer have less warranty liability just because someone sells the item in question?

Gear List

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 21, 2009 21:28 |  #10

ToddR wrote in post #8321468 (external link)
What is it with warranties not following the item to a new owner? Why should a manufacturer have less warranty liability just because someone sells the item in question?

True- but the whole purpose of a limited warranty is that it only covers the first purchaser. I don't really get why it matters to the manufacturer but I guess it is what it is.

aphexii
76 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 21, 2009 21:38 |  #11

Exposure101 wrote in post #8321611 (external link)
True- but the whole purpose of a limited warranty is that it only covers the first purchaser. I don't really get why it matters to the manufacturer but I guess it is what it is.

Manufacturer's don't like warranties, but its an expected perk, so they take any possible way out of holding themselves liable for it.

"Hey we have a great warranty!" - (with TONS of fine print)

Its not exclusive to canon, nearly all companies are the same.

Feedback/References:
eBay (369+, 100%) (external link)Heatware (150+, 100%) (external link)

sponsored links

762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick question regarding warranty
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.