Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Wireless Shutter Release / Flash Trigger System RF-602

594 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 18, 2010 16:58 |  #1351

also, these vs. cybersyncs, do you think its worth the extra cash

--Jamie
Canon 1DX/Canon 16-35 2,8L/Canon 70-200 4L IS/Canon 24 1,4L II/Canon 50 1,8 II/Canon 15 2,8 Fisheye/
Website (external link) // Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links
plawa
166 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 25, 2010 05:55 |  #1352

plawa wrote in post #11239314 (external link)
Now here's a question: if I get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​335becacc4 (external link)

will it allow me to keep the primary flash on-camera and still trigger other flashes via radio? Of course, you would still have to connet the transmitter to the adaptor with a PC cable but I'm not sure whether the trigger signal goes both ways let alone if TTL would still work on the primary flash.

So I got the adaptor (Yongnuo FA-695) yesterday and it's not exactly what I hoped for:

- the adaptor trasfers e-ttl without any issues, that's ok
- however when you have an E-TTL flash on camera (on the adaptor) and a rf-602 transmitter connected to it via a pc-pc cable, it continuously triggers at every half-press of the shutter release. I'm assuming the circuit connected to the PC port closes everytime there is ttl traffic on the wire... i.e. useless.
- the only way i got it to work was to connect a manual flash into the adaptor which then correctly triggers the transmitter which then remotely fires the ttl flash sitting on a receiver (in manual mode of course)

So it does let you use a on-camera flash in combination with remote flashes, just not on E-TTL. Hope this helps someone.

Plawa.cz (external link)
500px (external link)

ponzy
209 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 10, 2010 13:24 |  #1353

quick question pls, will rf 602's compatible with sekonic (L358 ) radio signal(?)?

All Weather Design
Analyzing Function
Cord Flash ModeCordless Flash ModeMultiple Exposure, Cumulative Flash ModeRadio Triggering Mode
Dual ISO Settings
Exposure, Calibration and Filter Compensation
Full compatibility with PocketWizard
Illuminated Direct Display
Memory Mode
Plug-in Radio Transmitter Module Included
Retractable Lumisphere

ans: 90% not: (from amazon's product description)
Optional Plug-in Radio Transmitter Module: Electronic flash units and/or cameras can be triggered wirelessly from either the L-608, L-608CINE or L-358 meter`s optional plug-in, multi-channel digital radio transmitter. No more tripping over synch cords, or fumbling with PC connectors. Compatible with all PocketWizard Digital Radio Receivers, these meters can simultaneously trigger and measure your electronic flash units up to 100 feet away. You can also select through the meter`s software, "Quad Triggering mode" which provides you with up to four zones of lighting control remotely. Now you can individually measure several flash units wirelessly with the touch of the meter`s measuring button, without walking over to each light and turning them on or off. You can even trigger motor driven cameras from the meter. Part of the Digital Wireless Freedom system, the L-608, L-608CINE and L-358 are wireless exposure meters and exposure makers. PocketWizard Digital Radio Receivers (sold separately) must be connected to flash unit.

tia

ponzy
"The thing I hate the most is when the light is in control. The key to good lighting is to be in control of the light." by ROB ~TMR DESIGN~

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 08, 2011 14:18 |  #1354

Will this PC sync cord with with the RF602 reciever?

I am a bit nervous clamping the RF02 plastic shoe into the adaptor clamp screw because I think it will eventually crack and allow the flash to drop. I'd rather have the metal foot of the flash clamped into the adaptor clamp and use a pc to pc cord.

http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0104/inde​x.shtml (external link)

Thanks...Al

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Arteel
439 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 08, 2011 16:32 |  #1355

Even though its plastic, it seems it will take a good amount of force to actually break. I had my speedlite/trigger mounted to a stand with umbrella, which eventually tipped from the wind. All of the force from the fall was on that little plastic shoe, but nothing broke. Unless you plan on beating the hell out of these triggers, I think you should be fine.

Methodical wrote in post #11981597 (external link)
Will this PC sync cord with with the RF602 reciever?

I am a bit nervous clamping the RF02 plastic shoe into the adaptor clamp screw because I think it will eventually crack and allow the flash to drop. I'd rather have the metal foot of the flash clamped into the adaptor clamp and use a pc to pc cord.

http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0104/inde​x.shtml (external link)

Thanks...Al

5Dc | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8L IS
-Ryan

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 09, 2011 11:07 |  #1356

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I found out that that cord won't work with these triggers, but FZ does sell a similar one for the 602s.

Question: I read that the receiver wake up the flash only if it's mounted on the receiver's hotshoe, but won't wake it up if using the PC sync cord. Can anyone verify this from their testing?

Thanks

Arteel wrote in post #11982608 (external link)
Even though its plastic, it seems it will take a good amount of force to actually break. I had my speedlite/trigger mounted to a stand with umbrella, which eventually tipped from the wind. All of the force from the fall was on that little plastic shoe, but nothing broke. Unless you plan on beating the hell out of these triggers, I think you should be fine.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2011 11:41 |  #1357

Methodical wrote in post #11987787 (external link)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I found out that that cord won't work with these triggers, but FZ does sell a similar one for the 602s.

Question: I read that the receiver wake up the flash only if it's mounted on the receiver's hotshoe, but won't wake it up if using the PC sync cord. Can anyone verify this from their testing?

Thanks

yes that is correct.
There's an extra pin on the hotshoe taht relays that message to the flash. If you connect it through the PC sync cable, it will not wake it up.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 10, 2011 11:44 |  #1358

Thanks. I will have to forgo the PC cord then. I think I will screw the 602 receiver to the flash bracket for added security, well peace of mind on my part.

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];11987969']ye​s that is correct.
There's an extra pin on the hotshoe taht relays that message to the flash. If you connect it through the PC sync cable, it will not wake it up.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 14, 2011 23:17 |  #1359

still dont understand how to switch channels on the triggers..I see multiple channels but I dont know how to switch them so I can use it as a remote shutter release and fire off flashes

Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

wisv1k
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 15, 2011 03:00 |  #1360

What you see on the units are the actual switches. They are very tiny so I normally use something like a toothpick to switch them. All you have to do is put two sets on different channels (it will require two sets of triggers), one for firing the flash and one as a trigger.

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 15, 2011 12:57 |  #1361

wisv1k wrote in post #12596355 (external link)
What you see on the units are the actual switches. They are very tiny so I normally use something like a toothpick to switch them. All you have to do is put two sets on different channels (it will require two sets of triggers), one for firing the flash and one as a trigger.

lol never knew they were actually switches that makes alot of sense. Thank you

Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 20, 2011 11:31 |  #1362

guyzer09 wrote in post #12598391 (external link)
lol never knew they were actually switches that makes alot of sense. Thank you

You have to remove the yellow/orange plastic film covering the switches. Make sure that the reciever & the transmitter are on the same channel.

I just left them in the default position. That is called "fire always" position. Since I am the only one in my studio, and don't see an interference issue...

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

252,896 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Wireless Shutter Release / Flash Trigger System RF-602
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.