Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 19:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

can I fit this to my rebel - is it even worth it?

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2009 19:30 |  #1

not entirely sure where to post this - so mods feel free to move it if need be.

My stepdaughter brought this home from her work today - apparently to her I'm now officially a "camera guy" since I bought the slr.

it's an Olympus OM10.. No idea how old it is, although it looks to be in near perfect condition with a 50mm - I assume Manual focus lens.

Can this be fit to the EF mount - and is it even worth it? I have the 50 1.8 already - but the lens does appear to be in pretty good shape as far as I can tell. aperture moves freely and so does the focus.

adapt it? sell it? throw it away? any suggestions?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i231.photobucke​t.com …7/chase-aise/IMG_8615.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i231.photobucke​t.com …7/chase-aise/IMG_8626.jpg (external link)

http://i231.photobucke​t.com …7/chase-aise/IMG_8627.jpg (external link)

http://i231.photobucke​t.com …7/chase-aise/IMG_8628.jpg (external link)

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 22, 2009 19:40 |  #2

You probably can with some kind of an adapter. But obviously it'll only be MF and you may lose aperture info.

I personally don't think it's worth the hassle but for some, making it work is their hobby and they quite enjoy doing such things.

Another thing against this is since it'd be MF only, I'd be curious as how well/accurate you could focus using the VF. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 22, 2009 19:45 |  #3

Since you shoot with a 1000D, MF isn't that easy, so I doubt you'll get much better results using this old Oly lens.

Either have fun with it and shoot some film for awhile or put it up on eBay. You'll probably get about $50 for the whole kit (camera, lens and flash).

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

kphotography
60 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 22, 2009 21:29 |  #4

You probably need an adapter. If it was up to me i wouldn't attempt to. looks rather old.

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 22, 2009 22:19 as a reply to  @ kphotography's post |  #5

If the camera and lens work perfectly, I'd say there's no harm in putting in a battery and some ASA 400 film for some fun shooting. If there's rough areas where you wouldn't want to bring your expensive digital gear, the OM system would be a small and cheap system to lug around, and you won't cry if it got stolen either.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

Rayk
Goldmember
1,861 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 23, 2009 01:22 as a reply to  @ fWord's post |  #6

If you have to do it, check out Ebay for an adapter. I would not bother.

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - HON CPE - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

Oldguynewhobby
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 23, 2009 05:21 as a reply to  @ Rayk's post |  #7

anothernewb, STOP, an old camera like that can only be operated by an "oldguy".
Of course it will work by adapter around $15 on efray. Focus is not difficult through the viewfinder if it is clear.

Or what you really should do, is pick a deserving old guy and send the whole mess to him for disposal.;););)

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 23, 2009 09:46 |  #8

jwcdds wrote in post #8327010 (external link)
You probably can with some kind of an adapter. But obviously it'll only be MF and you may lose aperture info.

I personally don't think it's worth the hassle but for some, making it work is their hobby and they quite enjoy doing such things.

Another thing against this is since it'd be MF only, I'd be curious as how well/accurate you could focus using the VF. :D

you are right you lose all aperture , focal length or any ifo for that matter. you can get adaptors that allow psudoautofocus. has a little hip built in that will communicate with the camera and you can adjust your focal length and f-stop info reported to the camera and then also communicates letting the camera give you the AF confirm beep. I find though when it is in the auto focus setting though it's a little flaky and doesn't give accurate focus. changing the adaptor to tell the camera that it is in manual focus seems to give better results though. or you can just ignore all those and just to plain jane manual focus with no confirmation.

and as far as worth it or not. I pick up lenses quite often for 1-15 bucks. some not so good sure but others are fairly good.

kphotography wrote in post #8327573 (external link)
You probably need an adapter. If it was up to me i wouldn't attempt to. looks rather old.

now granted this lens might not be that good but don't base these old lenses on their age alone. some of them are very sharp very good.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 23, 2009 10:11 |  #9

rx7speed wrote in post #8330131 (external link)
now granted this lens might not be that good but don't base these old lenses on their age alone. some of them are very sharp very good.

I have heard that same thing myself - about some of the old lenses being very sharp. I will have to do some digging on the Zuiko lens to see where it falls. This particular example looks to be pretty clean and I can find no evidence of scratches or junk in it.

I was thinking that with live view it would be fairly easy to focus. exposure would be a whole other animal.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 23, 2009 10:12 |  #10

Oldguynewhobby wrote in post #8329192 (external link)
anothernewb, STOP, an old camera like that can only be operated by an "oldguy".
Of course it will work by adapter around $15 on efray. Focus is not difficult through the viewfinder if it is clear.

Or what you really should do, is pick a deserving old guy and send the whole mess to him for disposal.;););)

I can assume youre interested?

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 23, 2009 14:41 |  #11

anothernewb wrote in post #8330267 (external link)
I have heard that same thing myself - about some of the old lenses being very sharp. I will have to do some digging on the Zuiko lens to see where it falls. This particular example looks to be pretty clean and I can find no evidence of scratches or junk in it.

I was thinking that with live view it would be fairly easy to focus. exposure would be a whole other animal.

that is one thing I woud want to forwarn you of right now. expsosure can sometimes be weird with the lenses I have tried so far. wide open metering usually works fairly well but once I start to close down the aperture on some of the lenses it doesn't meter very well and can read to over/under exposure by quite a bit. though at other times it might meter just fine. but for metering your internal metering should work fine you will just have to learn to adjust from experience on how that lens reacts

also I believe the normal "dumb" adaptors only work with center weighted average metering while some of the smarter AF chipped adaptors allow you to use all metering modes. don't quote me on that though

and with some lenses being sharp that is very much the case, but also like lenses now they can also be flat out dogs.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

440roadrunner
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 23, 2009 17:29 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

WoW!! The negativity in this thread is nearly overwhelming.

You can EASILY adapt OM lenses to a Canon EF mount, just get on eFray and buy an overseas adapter. Here's just one example:

http://cgi.ebay.com …2|39%3A1|293%3A​1|294%3A50 (external link)

Nearly ALL OM Zuiko lenses are pretty good, and it might even turn out to be fun. I routinely use one or two on my 40D

The issues:

Some modern Canon bodies aren't that great at metering manual lenses. My Xt (350D) was pretty fair with some lenses, poor with others

My 40D is poor and simply must be manually "chimped" into shape

FOCUS. Depends on you, your eye, and the body. One reason I bought my 40D was for magnified live view EXPRESSLY for using manual lenses

These "AF confirm" chips are not particularly reliable, BUT BUT BUT there's a new series based on what started out as a "Dandelion" chip WHICH IS PROGRAMMABLE as to focal length, etc. I haven't had time to ring mine out, yet.

Using lenses like these is a good way to learn how photography REALLY works

This picture was taken with my 40D, and Olympus Zuiko 28mm 2.8 lens:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2834527369_16462edfb3_b.jpg

2-40D's, 30D, Xt, EOS-3, Elan7, ElanII 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-55IS 2.8, Sig 12-24 EX DG 4.5
Mamiya M645 1000S, 45mm 2.8, 80mm 1.9, 110mm 2.8 + 2x extender

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 23, 2009 18:14 |  #13

440roadrunner wrote in post #8332506 (external link)
WoW!! The negativity in this thread is nearly overwhelming.

You can EASILY adapt OM lenses to a Canon EF mount, just get on eFray and buy an overseas adapter. Here's just one example:

http://cgi.ebay.com …2|39%3A1|293%3A​1|294%3A50 (external link)

Nearly ALL OM Zuiko lenses are pretty good, and it might even turn out to be fun. I routinely use one or two on my 40D

The issues:

Some modern Canon bodies aren't that great at metering manual lenses. My Xt (350D) was pretty fair with some lenses, poor with others

My 40D is poor and simply must be manually "chimped" into shape

FOCUS. Depends on you, your eye, and the body. One reason I bought my 40D was for magnified live view EXPRESSLY for using manual lenses

These "AF confirm" chips are not particularly reliable, BUT BUT BUT there's a new series based on what started out as a "Dandelion" chip WHICH IS PROGRAMMABLE as to focal length, etc. I haven't had time to ring mine out, yet.

Using lenses like these is a good way to learn how photography REALLY works

Ditto...a little wierd all that negatory and disinformation...maybe I'm a bit biased (see my sig for my view on MF lenses)

Olympus lenses are GREAT...I just sold 3 Oly MF lenses for my cousin on ebay...they fetched over $400!!! You can easily get $50 for a working OM10 body

Oly lenses are...
...easy to use...easy to focus and meter
...indoors you'll be shooting close to wide open so manual apertue setting is not a problem...even stopping down a click won't be an issue
...how your camera meters with it will be learned with experience....
...manual focusing of course is a skill to learn...just as learning how to AF
[Side note: from what I see on the net, it seems that because the lens focusing mechanism is "automatic" a lot of people think that they have to think about focusing let alone develop focusing skills, when shooting AF or MF...]

The OLY>EOS adapter (unchipped) I got from Big_IS on ebay was $20 delivered...well made, nice tight fit...

see this page for some sample shots taken with the 50/3.5 Oly macro...
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=6442​77&page=21

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 23, 2009 18:24 |  #14

In my opinion, the only downside to old manual focus lenses is that they're manual focus. If you have time to lick that, you can get some dang good glass for not a lot of cash. The nice thing about manually focusing them is that they were designed for that, so the ring is usually nice and wide and well damped for accuracy. It's really just a matter of trusting your eyes.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 24, 2009 08:34 |  #15

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to get the adapter and give it a try. If nothing else just for something interesting to do this winter. It's cheap enough that If I get bored, or don't like the results - it sounds like there's enough interest that I could find someone on this or the fred miranda boards that would appreciate it, and would be willing to pay enough so that the end cost is a wash.

trying something new and having the end result only costing you some time, seems like a no brainer in my book.

sponsored links

4,226 views & 0 likes for this thread
can I fit this to my rebel - is it even worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.