Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

Scottboarding
581 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined May 2016

Oct 06, 2016 21:05 as a reply to  @ post 18149607 |  #4636

I think they came out pretty cool. I don't think I would want to do that for every roll, but for the occasional "gritty" look it would be pretty neat.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
Scottboarding
581 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined May 2016

Oct 09, 2016 01:37 |  #4637

Can anyone recommend a good handheld light meter that's under $150? I'm looking at the Sekonic L-308b right now which is pretty cheap, but I know almost nothing about the external light meters so I'm not really sure what the good ones are. I'm really looking for one for more accurate skin tone exposures as well as use for Ektar since it's a pretty picky film. Thanks

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Sailor Larry.

Oct 16, 2016 21:21 |  #4638

Recent go with home processed C-41

Mamiya RB67Pro; Mamiya-Sekor C 50mm f4.5; Ektar 100;
Scanned w/Epson V600

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i23.photobucket​.com …%20album/bowspr​it-788.jpg (external link)

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,047 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 16, 2016 21:25 |  #4639

Sailor Larry wrote in post #18158790 (external link)
Recent go with home processed C-41

Mamiya RB67Pro; Mamiya-Sekor C 50mm f4.5; Ektar 100;

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://c7.staticflick​r.com …56762262_218fe2​17d7_k.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.
bowsprit-788 (external link) by lmmiers (external link), on Flickr

GORGEOUS! I followed the link to see it. :-)
I'm afraid you'll have to resize the image for it to show up here.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Oct 16, 2016 21:30 |  #4640

I reposted from a different source. Haven't got the hang of Flicker yet.

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by renaissance_myth. (3 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2016 01:47 |  #4641

hi guys!

I am so glad I chanced upon this thread. Been browsing endlessly on the internet since my interest in film got stronger day by day. I have basically narrowed my options down to the following:-

Camera

1. Canon A-1
2. Canon F-1 New
3. Canon F-1
4. Canon EOS 3 (use my current lenses)

Lens

1. FD 85mm f1.2 L
2. FD 24mm f1.4 L
3. FD 28mm f2

I would like to use film for my family and environmental travel with family members in the frame, and also to keep a piece of film and Canon histroy with me. I would love to have a fully mechanical camera with batter only to operate the light meter, or an EOS film which I can use my current lenses with. Which would you recommend and why? Or are there any other directions (brands/cameras/lenses​) you would point me in for my purposes stated?

Thank you in advance

"Dear God, please let me master light"

thc1979
524 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 17, 2016 02:29 |  #4642

renaissance_myth wrote in post #18158910 (external link)
hi guys!

I am so glad I chanced upon this thread. Been browsing endlessly on the internet since my interest in film got stronger day by day. I have basically narrowed my options down to the following:-

Camera

1. Canon A-1
2. Canon F-1 New
3. Canon F-1

Lens

1. FD 85mm f1.2 L
2. FD 24mm f1.4 L
3. FD 28mm f2

I would like to use film for my family and environmental travel with family members in the frame, and also to keep a piece of film and Canon histroy with me. I would love to have a fully mechanical camera with batter only to operate the light meter, or an EOS film which I can use my current lenses with. Which would you recommend and why? Or are there any other directions (brands/cameras/lenses​) you would point me in for my purposes stated?

Thank you in advance

All of those cameras are excellent but if you are taking photos of children or anything else equally quick and unpredictable I would go for the EOS 3. I have one and cannot fault it. If you do go for the EOS 3 try to get the newest one you can, a small number of early production models had metering problems. Wherever you buy from make sure it has been tested with film and there is a returns option or good warranty.

I have several full mechanical (except the optional meter) Praktica cameras which are bullet-proof and great to use but I had always found it difficult with the kids, hence the EOS 3, which I can also use all of my great lenses with. I now use the Prakticas when I'm out on my own and the EOS 3 for family days out etc.

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by renaissance_myth.

Oct 17, 2016 02:48 |  #4643

thc1979 wrote in post #18158928 (external link)
All of those cameras are excellent but if you are taking photos of children or anything else equally quick and unpredictable I would go for the EOS 3. I have one and cannot fault it. If you do go for the EOS 3 try to get the newest one you can, a small number of early production models had metering problems. Wherever you buy from make sure it has been tested with film and there is a returns option or good warranty.

I have several full mechanical (except the optional meter) Praktica cameras which are bullet-proof and great to use but I had always found it difficult with the kids, hence the EOS 3, which I can also use all of my great lenses with. I now use the Prakticas when I'm out on my own and the EOS 3 for family days out etc.

Noted on the EOS 3. :-)

I currently have no children so pictures are of adults who will co-operate fully :lol: Which Praktica model would you recommend and which lens? I was actually very sold on the F-1 New but read that the camera body is less relevant than the lens of film systems, as the medium is the film and not the sensor of the body. Read up more and apparently the Canon A-1 was an important milestone in Canon film history as well as being a very capable camera, and figured the FD 28mm f2 would be perfect for travel.

How hard is it to nail focus with these fully mechanical cameras? The only fully mechanical lens I have is the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and not that hard to nail focus as long as you are about 1.5m away and at f5.6.

Or is that a great lightroom preset that could make my photos look like its from film? :twisted:

Please keep your thoughts and comments coming!

Thank you

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,047 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 17, 2016 08:56 |  #4644

renaissance_myth wrote in post #18158910 (external link)
Camera

1. Canon A-1
2. Canon F-1 New
3. Canon F-1

All good choices, just be aware that when the shutter is on it's way out they sometimes make a weird zinging noise.

renaissance_myth wrote:
Lens

1. FD 85mm f1.2 L
2. FD 24mm f1.4 L
3. FD 28mm f2

I cannot speak about all of these, but I do know the 85mm 1.2 is an awesome low light and portrait lens. I once had a chance to pick one of these up, but had no camera that used the FD mount so I bought a T-90 just to use this lens. WOW! What a combo.
Since you are apparently already invested in EOS lenses, I would lean towards the EOS3. That will get you into a usable film camera faster, and you can pick up other systems as you go. Good luck with your film journey. :-)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2016 16:57 |  #4645

I picked up an EOS3 and I use it regularly - I love that I get to use my EF lenses and the familiarity of switching between it and my EOS DSLR.

Sometimes, its too familiar though if you know what I mean?

Can't say enough about how great the photos that come out of it are - I decided to get one because I struggled to get a good keeper rate with a Hassy 500CM, still its a great camera and i'm learning a lot from using it.

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2016 17:06 |  #4646

Some photos from a few rolls of film while we were on a recent trip. A mix of EOS 5 and EOS 3 film cameras and a selection of film - Superia 400, Portra 400, Fuji 400H iirc.

1. Our good friends Jake and Jessie (http://www.jessieandja​ke.com/ (external link)) at St Paul's Cathedral in London

IMAGE: http://www.candycapco.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Destination-Wedding-Photographer-Europe12.jpg

2. Enjoying the gorgeous afternoon light in Vienna

IMAGE: http://www.candycapco.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Destination-Wedding-Photographer-Europe13.jpg

3. Hallstat, Austria

IMAGE: http://www.candycapco.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Destination-Wedding-Photographer-Europe04.jpg

4. Castle ruins along the Danube

IMAGE: http://www.candycapco.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Destination-Wedding-Photographer-Europe01.jpg

5. Playing peek-a-boo with Karl the Fog (4 times in SF and have never gotten a clear view of that bridge!)

IMAGE: http://www.candycapco.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Destination-Wedding-Photographer-Europe17.jpg

More photos from such a rich learning experience with film here:
http://www.candycapco.​co.nz …edding-photographer-film/ (external link)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 18, 2016 00:57 |  #4647

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18159111 (external link)
All good choices, just be aware that when the shutter is on it's way out they sometimes make a weird zinging noise.

I cannot speak about all of these, but I do know the 85mm 1.2 is an awesome low light and portrait lens. I once had a chance to pick one of these up, but had no camera that used the FD mount so I bought a T-90 just to use this lens. WOW! What a combo.
Since you are apparently already invested in EOS lenses, I would lean towards the EOS3. That will get you into a usable film camera faster, and you can pick up other systems as you go. Good luck with your film journey. :-)

Thanks for your insight! seems that the opinions are leaning towards the EOS 3. :-) The FD 85L is indeed drool worthy.

jackinavox wrote in post #18159522 (external link)
I picked up an EOS3 and I use it regularly - I love that I get to use my EF lenses and the familiarity of switching between it and my EOS DSLR.

Can't say enough about how great the photos that come out of it are - I decided to get one because I struggled to get a good keeper rate with a Hassy 500CM, still its a great camera and i'm learning a lot from using it.

jackinavox wrote in post #18159522 (external link)

I think I understand what you mean, like you would like to have a bit of different fun instead of picking up a film equivalent of your current DSLR.

Decisions decisions.... :oops:

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 18, 2016 03:16 |  #4648

Can i ask how people digitize their film photos? I have been looking into taking photos of them with my Sony a6k but it seems a bit of a pita to do.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Oct 18, 2016 06:25 |  #4649

I use an Epson Perfection V600 scanner.
It does an acceptable job of scanning 35mm film, mounted 35mm slides and 120/MF film as well as regular reflective material.

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 18, 2016 06:30 as a reply to  @ Sailor Larry's post |  #4650

do you think pretty much any film scanner would be good enough?

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links

702,450 views & 1,050 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.