Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

thc1979
526 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 20, 2016 02:34 |  #4666

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18160277 (external link)
He was a busy fellow for a couple days then, eh?
I'm glad I got mine when I did because they have apparently quit selling them? I'm pretty sure you find one if you really wanted one.

I think that's pretty much all he did for the whole two days!! They are still available in the UK on Amazon from 7dayshop. I wouldn't say the quality was brilliant but it was certainly ok.

sponsored links
thc1979
526 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 20, 2016 02:35 |  #4667

Mark0159 wrote in post #18160412 (external link)
the only problem with that is if you are shooting colour that's not a colour negative, that got a orange tint to it then you have to set the white balance to it. or just convert it to b&W

You'll always need to adjust the white balance when doing it this way. The scanners do it automatically.

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
3,410 posts
Gallery: 177 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 20, 2016 08:15 |  #4668

Scottboarding wrote in post #18161521 (external link)
Do you do the standard or enhanced scans? I have my v550 and I'm not too happy on the scans of color film. Black and white is fine, but the colors are always kind of "blah", and not anything like what I see from other scans of the same film. $11 for develop and scanned is awesome, but if the included ones are less than one megapixel then I'm gonna have to pass. Still $15 isn't too bad.

I have tried both, the higher priced ones are better of course. Depends on what you want the photos for. You can ask the processor, I think in the case of The Darkroom they explain it on the web site.

Ed
https://www.sandhillim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 11, 2016 05:06 |  #4669

hi guys,

after endless research, I would like to present to you my starting gear into film photography! :-)

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5464/30277807044_c598f932e5_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5534/30277811604_630c2b4e14_b.jpg

have forgotten what light feels like. The camera is the same weight as the 50mm. Would probably add the Nikon F2 and the Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 within a month or two.

Can't wait to burn through the Kodak Ultramax 400 currently loaded. Portra 400 is currently an insane USD11 per roll where I am from. vmad

cheers!

"Dear God, please let me master light"

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,271 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 11, 2016 05:58 as a reply to  @ renaissance_myth's post |  #4670

Congrats!! Tough to see on my phone what you ended up with. Mind sharing the details? What kind of workflow do you think you'll follow? Hybrid? Going to develop yourself?

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2016 00:53 |  #4671

nqjudo wrote in post #18181523 (external link)
Congrats!! Tough to see on my phone what you ended up with. Mind sharing the details? What kind of workflow do you think you'll follow? Hybrid? Going to develop yourself?

Hi there,

it is a Yashica 35 Electro GX fixed lens rangefinder.

http://www.photoethnog​raphy.com …s/YashicaElectr​o35GX.html (external link)

At the moment I am still looking around for a good scanner but in the meantime, will send my film to the lab near my place to get them developed and scanned. Will be looking to doing the developing myself in the near future with B/W. :-) the process of getting into film is as enjoyable as making pictures.

cheers!

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,237 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 12, 2016 09:14 |  #4672

renaissance_myth wrote in post #18182257 (external link)
Hi there,

Those are usually pretty good cameras. We'll have to see how yours performs. Have fun. :-)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2016 12:29 |  #4673

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18182468 (external link)
Those are usually pretty good cameras. We'll have to see how yours performs. Have fun. :-)

it's so interesting I got something so different from the choices which I listed out not too long ago. I even toyed with the idea of a Mamiya 645E with the 80mm f2.8 but the weight put me off. :-P

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,271 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2016 14:10 |  #4674

renaissance_myth wrote in post #18182257 (external link)
Hi there,

At the moment I am still looking around for a good scanner but in the meantime, will send my film to the lab near my place to get them developed and scanned. Will be looking to doing the developing myself in the near future with B/W. :-) the process of getting into film is as enjoyable as making pictures.

cheers!

I've had good success in the past with the Epson Vxxx series and the Canon CanoScan 9000 series. I've never scanned 35mm with them though. Only 120. One thing that I find an extremely worth upgrade to either are the holders from betterscanning.com. Makes life a lot easier. You've got yourself a nice kit there. I hope it works out well for you.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by renaissance_myth.

Nov 12, 2016 22:58 |  #4675

nqjudo wrote in post #18182675 (external link)
I've had good success in the past with the Epson Vxxx series and the Canon CanoScan 9000 series. I've never scanned 35mm with them though. Only 120. One thing that I find an extremely worth upgrade to either are the holders from betterscanning.com. Makes life a lot easier. You've got yourself a nice kit there. I hope it works out well for you.

the Canoscan 9000f II goes for less than USD150 used, and the V700 more than double the price. read pretty average reviews for the canon and pretty good ones for the V700 as I would expect from the price disparity so mulling over it. Scanners like these more often than not prefer 120 film than 135 film.

On a different note, has anyone here owned the Nikon F2 and the Leica M3/4/6 with their 35mm f/2 equivalents notice a marked difference in pictures produced? is it worth the difference in price?

cheers!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 14, 2016 00:27 |  #4676
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I'm puzzled as to 'resolving power'. The images I've taken so far don't look to me as sharp as those made with my digital camera. Wondering whether it's the lens, the camera, the exposure, the film or my developing. Or my scanning. Too many variables. :( vmad

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
15,211 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 14, 2016 02:05 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #4677

You can check the negatives with a loupe first. If they are sharp it's not the camera...
What camera was it?

Some simple photos

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 14, 2016 12:11 as a reply to  @ InPhoto's post |  #4678
bannedPermanent ban

This camera:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Looking at a sample image, I'm not sure it's right where it's s'posed to be (maybe I'm too used to digital being übersharp):

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/200/98/62/43579862.57972b56.1024.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/diamantstudios/4​3579862  (external link)
Wascana Park (external link) by Alveric (external link), on ipernity

That's the image after Photoshop (curves, retouch and high pass sharpening).

The original, right out of the scanner would be this one:

http://diamantstudios.​ca …les/Tri-X_400--I--031.jpg (external link)

Scanned @ 3200 dpi, using Epson Scan (Epson V220), Gamma 1.8 colour space.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

renaissance_myth
726 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 20, 2016 03:30 |  #4679

finally sent my first roll of film to the lab. hopefully i loaded the film proper into the camera before shooting. :)

looking forward to seeing the results.

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,237 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 20, 2016 18:13 |  #4680

renaissance_myth wrote in post #18189509 (external link)
looking forward to seeing the results.

I think we all are. :-)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links

803,927 views & 1,069 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.