Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 18, 2017 20:12 |  #4876

DThriller wrote in post #18247898 (external link)
Yea it's kinda puzzling what it is

I used a macro with a flash behind the film very low tec.

I use an broken ipad as a backlight with macro tubes, so even lower tech Lol
My 2017 resolution is to finally buy a Scanner.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
thc1979
524 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by thc1979.

Jan 19, 2017 05:09 |  #4877

Wilt wrote in post #18248657 (external link)
You would be far better off to go to the APUG.org forum, to cover all aspects of film photography: from equipment to techniques, to processing, to alternative processes

Wilt, apug is ok but trying to learn about or discuss anything remotely untraditional results in some pretty rude comments. There is talk of merging dpug and apug but this has been "talk" for quite a long time. There is also many people on there who seem to think everyone should have read all of Ansel Adams' books and educated themselves before asking a question etc.

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 19, 2017 07:13 |  #4878

thc1979 wrote in post #18249090 (external link)
Wilt, apug is ok but trying to learn about or discuss anything remotely untraditional results in some pretty rude comments. There is talk of merging dpug and apug but this has been "talk" for quite a long time. There is also many people on there who seem to think everyone should have read all of Ansel Adams' books and educated themselves before asking a question etc.

Exactly, i came here for the people not the medium.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2017 08:13 |  #4879

This pic "Central Park Carousel" changed the way I worked in film. It was made with an Eos 3, 24 to 70 f2.8 MKii HP5 standard development at B&H. I had B&H develop this roll of film because I flew into NYC and I did to want to drag the film through X-Ray. I normally used the Dark Room for developing, still do for color. Well, B&H did a crappy job scanning the image it was very noisy and over sharpened. (I still like B&H and have spent $$$$ there, they just did not please me here) So I bought a V800 scanner and rescanned this shot myself. I rescanned a lot of my film shots. I liked the control it gave me. Because I was happier with the results when I scanned it, I learned how to develop film at home to control that part of the process. I used the Stand Development method. It is simple, forgiving and like auto ISO for film. I do use Standard development methods for Silver Gel prints or 3200 film to get less grain. But for scanning, I prefer, Stand Development because of its simplicity and the fact I can put two different film makes and ISOs in the same tank.

Developing film at home is great. It is easy and somehow it seems easier than tossing the film into an envelope to mail it.

Recently I have learned ho to make my own prints. So two years after shot this I am completely self sufficient in film :) I shoot mostly medium format, I don't feel there is enough resolution in 35mm. I started sooting a little 4X5 too, but have not had any results worth bragging about yet. I will revisit 4x5 this summer.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

jcothron
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2017 08:17 as a reply to  @ K Soze's post |  #4880

Thats a really nice image and great work. I dont do my own developing although i have considered it and may at some point. I do my own scanning on a v700. It gives pretty good results as far as I'm concerned.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2017 08:55 |  #4881

jcothron wrote in post #18249160 (external link)
Thats a really nice image and great work. I dont do my own developing although i have considered it and may at some point. I do my own scanning on a v700. It gives pretty good results as far as I'm concerned.

You should try developing on your own it is simple and satisfying. Read this on stand development. http://jbhildebrand.co​m …development-with-rodinal/ (external link)

I try to make art by pushing buttons

jcothron
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2017 09:08 as a reply to  @ K Soze's post |  #4882

That's pretty interesting, and a new process to me. I may have to give it a shot!

John

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 19, 2017 09:29 |  #4883

thc1979 wrote in post #18249090 (external link)

Yes, it is unfortunate that APUG has its share of 'old-school hard core fanatics' that fail to see digital as an extension of the craft/art of photography. Stupidly so, as one cannot mention 'scan' (by forum rules, no less) other than as away to post a photo...god forbid. Yes 'digital' is effectively a four letter word. Kind of like how 'acrylic' is a four letter word to an oil painter. Or how 'briefs' are offensive to the boxer wearers.

But underneath that hardcore panache is a core of expertise found primarily among traditionalists who have knowledge accumulated with equipment familiarity spanning five or more decades of use. The knowledge displayed typically on POTN seems superficially deep in comparison to the discussions and knowledge sharing on APUG.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jcothron
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2017 09:39 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #4884

...knowledge is not what you know but where you find it

John

Cuypers1807
Intact?
1,715 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Cuypers1807.

Jan 19, 2017 12:18 |  #4885

Developing is quite easy. I have been developing B&W for a long time and finally started developing C-41 a few weeks ago.
Steps are pretty simple and the tanks, reels, and chemistry pay for themselves quickly.

Joby
Flickr (external link)_________My Site (external link)___________Gear List

thc1979
524 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 19, 2017 13:36 as a reply to  @ Cuypers1807's post |  #4886

I've always put off trying C41, I remember my Dad tried it many years ago and have horrific results!

Cuypers1807
Intact?
1,715 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 19, 2017 14:40 |  #4887

I bought the 1 liter C-41 kit from the FPP and it works great. You have to get the chemistry up to 102 degrees but the processing is much faster than B&W and all C-41 film has the same development times. (unless you are pushing or pulling). I am developing 120 for less than $2 a roll.

Joby

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 20, 2017 00:31 |  #4888

Cuypers1807 wrote in post #18249492 (external link)
I bought the 1 liter C-41 kit from the FPP and it works great. You have to get the chemistry up to 102 degrees but the processing is much faster than B&W and all C-41 film has the same development times. (unless you are pushing or pulling). I am developing 120 for less than $2 a roll.

I bought the kit when they were offering two rolls of cinema film for free, have yet to use either though.

Wish B&H still sold it with free shipping. FPP sends it via air mail priority which is actually against the law, and the reason why B&H doesn't sell it anymore since discontinuing ground shipping.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Cuypers1807
Intact?
1,715 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Cuypers1807.

Jan 20, 2017 20:30 |  #4889

maverick75 wrote in post #18250015 (external link)
I bought the kit when they were offering two rolls of cinema film for free, have yet to use either though.

Wish B&H still sold it with free shipping. FPP sends it via air mail priority which is actually against the law, and the reason why B&H doesn't sell it anymore since discontinuing ground shipping.

I also wish B&H still shipped chemistry (mainly Dektol and D-76 for me). I got Rapid Fixer from them recently so it is not all chemistry but there is a "no fly list".
Freestyle has a C-41 kit and they are in California. Maybe a better option for you.

Joby

DThriller
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 21, 2017 15:39 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #4890

Ok so yeah this is a better look at the pattern

seriously what is that?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

sponsored links

700,443 views & 1,048 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.