Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2011 21:56 |  #556

I've been in the darkroom for a few days, and I've noticed the problem with my enlarger that it will project it with serious vignetting around the bottom corners. The top corners are perfectly fine. I've adjusted pretty much everything on the enlarger, and even my instructor doesn't understand why it's projecting round along the bottom corners. Anyone know what the problem is?

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 21, 2011 23:21 |  #557

If it's a condenser enlarger, make sure your condenser lenses are properly seated and at the appropriate height above the negative. What enlarger are you using and what film format?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 22, 2011 00:04 |  #558

DinosaurioAllie wrote in post #12636010 (external link)
I've been in the darkroom for a few days

So that's where you went :lol:.

Tony-S wrote in post #12636446 (external link)
If it's a condenser enlarger, make sure your condenser lenses are properly seated and at the appropriate height above the negative. What enlarger are you using and what film format?

I agree with this and the questions.

Also - are the images sharp all the way across at wide-ish apertures (looking for a flat lens plane)? Obvious question: is there anything obstructing the lens? Does this happen regardless of the film holder used?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 23, 2011 21:58 |  #559

My first time push processing.
Shot this while walking around at night a few months ago and developed it last night in TMax developer and pushed 2 stops.

IMAGE: http://www.kennethrberry.com/content/Film/medium_BarberShop.jpg

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

dilonious
218 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 24, 2011 11:27 |  #560

First roll of film in a LONG time. rolleicord 3.5 xenar, 400NC. Crappy scans.. im gonna try to do a better job scanning/removing dust next go-around.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5235/5865657630_99e837c851_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/goooooooooo/5​865657630/  (external link)
Sara (external link) by beautyindbrakdwn (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/5865140587_b1c573f502_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/goooooooooo/5​865140587/  (external link)
Kevin Raymes (external link) by beautyindbrakdwn (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/5865659770_9873339d59_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/goooooooooo/5​865659770/  (external link)
Jones (external link) by beautyindbrakdwn (external link), on Flickr

facebook page (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2011 11:47 |  #561

dilonious wrote in post #12650940 (external link)
Crappy scans.. im gonna try to do a better job scanning/removing dust next go-around.

Does your scanner have digital ICE or equivalent?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

bemerick
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 24, 2011 12:03 |  #562

wow, that is really bad (dust/hair). Are you scanning negatives? If just prints, wipe each with microfiber cloth before scanning. I did 9000 family photos last year, it really helps

Canon S110 / Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 17-40 L f4 USM | 50 f1.4 USM | 70-200 L f2.8 IS II USM | 430EX II

dilonious
218 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 24, 2011 12:14 |  #563

Tony-S wrote in post #12651042 (external link)
Does your scanner have digital ICE or equivalent?

I just figured out it does :) I'll probably re-scan.

they were negatives.. it was my fist time using the scanner and first time scanning negatives..:rolleyes:

facebook page (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2011 12:24 |  #564

Use it on color negatives, but not B&W negatives.

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2011 19:17 |  #565

Why is that?

Love the last shot in that set, by the way!

Flickr (external link)
-------------

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 24, 2011 20:37 |  #566

ICE works by sending shining an IR light through the negative. Dust and hair blocks the IR light but the film allows IR to pass through because color film is transparent in the IR spectrum. This way the ICE can compare the two images and remove the bad stuff.

It doesn't work on B&W film because the film is not IR transparent.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2011 22:34 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #567

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Flickr (external link)
-------------

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2011 02:04 |  #568

Tony-S wrote in post #12636446 (external link)

The enlarger was a Besseler 23C II(I believe). Film format was 120. The thing that was most confusing for me was that the enlarger was assigned and only ever used for medium format, as it was clearly labeled across the counter in front of it "MED FORMAT ONLY". Which means it should have been set up at least close to proper 120 setting.
I don't have access to the enlarger now, as the classes have finished. But I will again have access to it in July when my advanced sessions start. The teacher and I are going to stay after on the first day to fix whatever the heck is wrong with it.

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12636643 (external link)
So that's where you went :lol:.

I agree with this and the questions.

Also - are the images sharp all the way across at wide-ish apertures (looking for a flat lens plane)? Obvious question: is there anything obstructing the lens? Does this happen regardless of the film holder used?

The images looked perfectly sharp at f/2.8(as that's what I focus on) and printed perfectly fine at f/11. I didn't attempt to use a different film holder, as I assumed that it shouldn't make a difference as it still vignetted even without a film holder in. Here's a crappy cell phone picture of the one print I didn't fix it on.(I'll scan them tomorrow)
Nope, don't adjust your monitors, and it's not glare. That's how they were printing. :confused:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 26, 2011 07:04 |  #569

jasongraaf wrote in post #12653656 (external link)
Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

You can use dICE on chromagenic B&W but not conventional B&W.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 26, 2011 17:40 |  #570

DinosaurioAllie wrote in post #12658696 (external link)
The enlarger was a Besseler 23C II(I believe).

Hm. And you've tried these negatives on other enlargers and they print correctly (just making sure)?

The other idea I came up with was that the mixing box was somehow screwed up, but I'm pretty sure the Besseler is a condenser, right?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

835,964 views & 1,071 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.