Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 25 Jul 2009 (Saturday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera for kids?

MCB
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 25, 2009 08:26 |  #1

Hi, all.
I've been looking around for a relatively cheap camera for my son. He has gotten used to me taking pictures every 10 or 20 seconds and generally following him and his sister around like a paparazzi. So now he's asking for a camera for his birthday. Sounds good. Hopefully it's something we can do together and he can find a hobby he enjoys. But he's 5. So... what's a good, simple camera for less than about $100?

I think the fewer features the better, just to keep it simple. But I don't want one of those horrible Disney brand cameras that are utter garbage. A picture that makes a good 4"x6" is good enough. (3x zoom, no IS, 4 megapixels... something like that?)

I have spent some time looking at reviews, poking around Amazon.com, etc. but nothing really jumps out at me. I haven't owned a P&S in a long time so I'm not so clear on the pros/cons of various models.

If you guys have any suggestions i would love to hear them, Thanks!

sponsored links
borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 25, 2009 11:01 |  #2

http://www.adorama.com …rchinfo=CANON+R​EFURBISHED (external link)

One suggestion is dont get the fisher price camera, it works but, my daughter played with it for a while, but got bored because "it looks like s toy"

Look at Refub from Adorama
http://www.adorama.com …hinfo=CANON%20R​EFURBISHED (external link)

You might find something nice for him at the budget you want

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 25, 2009 13:30 |  #3

Thanks for the tip. I had been looking for refurbs, but hadn't checked Adorama lately.
That Powershot A580 looks like a great starter camera, and for $80 I can't go wrong.

For the price, those toy cameras are pretty bad and do indeed looks like toys. It was pretty clear early on in my search that any "real" camera that costs the same or less would be better.

Thanks again.

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 25, 2009 13:35 as a reply to  @ borism's post |  #4

I have a camera that you can have if your interested, just give me $5.00 to ship it to you. I tried to sell it on here but no one was interested, I would rather a member here get some use out of it than have it sit around collecting dust. If you want it just PM me.

Oh, and yes it works fine:D HERE it is.

Gear List & Feedback

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 25, 2009 14:13 as a reply to  @ 10megapixel's post |  #5

Wow, I can't give this camera away :lol:

Gear List & Feedback

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 25, 2009 17:28 |  #6

10megapixel wrote in post #8341906 (external link)
Wow, I can't give this camera away :lol:

Haha! I didn't say no!! :)
I'll take a look and see the specs, but for $5 I'm sure it's a good deal. :)

I have a similar feeling about an old 350D. It's in excellent condition, but probably worth less than the cost of shipping. ;) (too big for a 5-year-old, though)

Axendra
41 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 25, 2009 18:00 |  #7

Well if that happens and you do that with the 350D please keep me in mind MCB :)

My Site (external link) & Blog (external link)

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 25, 2009 18:07 |  #8

MCB wrote in post #8342656 (external link)
Haha! I didn't say no!! :)
I'll take a look and see the specs, but for $5 I'm sure it's a good deal. :)

I have a similar feeling about an old 350D. It's in excellent condition, but probably worth less than the cost of shipping. ;) (too big for a 5-year-old, though)

To be totally honest, It's actually like the worst digital camera ever made...lol. Seriously, it sucks :lol: That's why I will have to basically give it away. I figured a 5 year old wouldn't really care though.

Gear List & Feedback

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 25, 2009 20:11 |  #9

10megapixel wrote in post #8342761 (external link)
To be totally honest, It's actually like the worst digital camera ever made...lol. Seriously, it sucks :lol: That's why I will have to basically give it away. I figured a 5 year old wouldn't really care though.

Aha, the truth comes out! ;)
Yeah, he might not notice the difference. Many adults can't, so I might be safe with The Worst Digital Camera Ever(tm).

But I wonder about us going out shooting together, then him comparing my shot of the squirrel to his. Maybe he would get frustrated if his always turned out toooo much worse than mine. If they're always blurry or out of focus or something, that might turn him off enough that he wants to give up.

So something slightly better might be worth the extra investment. Thanks, though. :)

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 25, 2009 20:54 |  #10

MCB wrote in post #8343187 (external link)
Aha, the truth comes out! ;)
Yeah, he might not notice the difference. Many adults can't, so I might be safe with The Worst Digital Camera Ever(tm).

But I wonder about us going out shooting together, then him comparing my shot of the squirrel to his. Maybe he would get frustrated if his always turned out toooo much worse than mine. If they're always blurry or out of focus or something, that might turn him off enough that he wants to give up.

So something slightly better might be worth the extra investment. Thanks, though. :)

Your probably right.;)

Gear List & Feedback

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,929 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 01, 2009 08:30 as a reply to  @ 10megapixel's post |  #11

Check KEH.com, they often have older P&S cameras for $100 or less that will do just fine for a 5 year old.

sponsored links

2,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera for kids?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.