Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Jul 2009 (Sunday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smugmug type site in Canada?

jdetmold
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 26, 2009 17:38 |  #1

Can anyone recommend a Smugmug type site to post and sell prints off of in canada?

-Jeff
Gear List

sponsored links
Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 27, 2009 08:46 |  #2

Absolutely...visit www.zoomphoto.ca (external link)
It's a secret but click on the 'photographer's login' in the upper right ;)

Seriously, Joe developed the site for his own needs then opened it for other Canadian photogs. He continually adds more features and is very accessible.

My site on ZoomPhoto is http://events.ryderpho​to.ca (external link)

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 29, 2009 23:59 |  #3

Rubi Jane wrote in post #8350358 (external link)
Absolutely...visit www.zoomphoto.ca (external link)
It's a secret but click on the 'photographer's login' in the upper right ;)

Seriously, Joe developed the site for his own needs then opened it for other Canadian photogs. He continually adds more features and is very accessible.

My site on ZoomPhoto is http://events.ryderpho​to.ca (external link)

Thanks for the site. i did sign up but haven't had a chance yet to see how customizable it is.
have you done well with this site?

anyone else recommend any sites?

-Jeff
Gear List

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 30, 2009 18:51 |  #4

From a customizeable standpoint, there is ability to change font colour but not type, as well as background colour (dark or light). You can add additional pages to convey additonal information.

The site is really setup for event/sport photography but you can definitely use it for wedding/portrait ptoofing & sales, I do. You can set you own print & digital prices.

The site owner is constantly delivering new features and would likely welcome someone to come up with designer templates (he's a coder not a graphic artist).

There's another site: http://www.showmyphoto​s.ca/index.html (external link)
I have an accout there but never uploaded any images so can't comment on what it's like. It's a self fulfilment site which didn't suit my purpose. After fulfilling for myself I'd gladly pay 15% for someone else to manage it for me. Personally I found Zoom Photo to fit my needs and I like the owner's responsiveness so I'm happy to pay him fees.

Lindsey

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2009 01:02 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

We're so underprivileged for photo sites and printers up here In canada, mate!

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Car2n
490 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2009 07:41 |  #6

I'm another Zoomphoto user. I haven't made use of it yet but will be soon. The interface is somewhat diferent than that of Zenfolio or Smugmug and not very customizable but like you've discovered, there's not many choices in Canada. There is supposed to be better customzation in the future. I have a Zenfolio account but the shipping costs are a killer.
@Lindsey, The showmyphotos site says they will fulfill orders but there is very little information regarding that. Maybe there's more information you could share with us seeing that you are an insider with an account?

Canon 1D3 / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 17-40mm 4.0L / 50mm 1.4 / 580EXII / Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 / PixmaPro 9000ii / StylusPro 3800

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 31, 2009 19:25 |  #7

You're right, "showmyphotos" do offer lab printing & order fulfillment and here's a sampling of the default lab they use, which is significantly more than Zoom's lab pricing. There's no informational page or help section and although the user interface looks simple enough it's surprising they provide no support info.

After having a better look around the "showmyphotos" site and knowing the versatility and user interface on ZoomPhoto well I have to say Zoom is much more robust from a feature standpoint. I personally like the look of the Zoom site and the limited layout customization doesn't concern me. My clients find it easy to navigate, view & order prints. You can set different prices, products and packages by event which makes it capable of managing a variety of event types that you might typically price differently.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lindsey

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 04, 2009 08:37 as a reply to  @ Rubi Jane's post |  #8

Zoomphoto update:

Wanted to follow up on my experience with zoomphoto. I set up an account there and have been quite happy with it overall.

The site is set up for event photogs - specifically tailored to running (marathon) type events but does have just enough customization to make it useable for other kinds of clients. The owner does seem quite interested to make changes requested by users.

I wanted to see some prints from their lab before I let clients order directly from them, and the owner was kind enough to print a small sample order for me from some of my images. I was very pleased with the quality of the printing - it was up to par with the pro lab I use.

Since the photographer's clients are paying zoomphoto for their prints and zoomphoto sends a check to the photographer (minus the lab and site fees), there is an level of trust required. I'm happy to report I have received payment for the print sales from zoomphoto on time.

All in all, I give zoomphoto an "A". I look forward to improvement of the website features and tweaks to make it even more useful for all types of photographers. It's very usable now and should only get better as their client base grows to provide more feedback and income for them.

I can recommend zoomphoto for any Canadian photographer who wants to sell prints online.

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographer (external link)
Google Business Photos Edmonton (external link)
Gear list

mtbkanata
191 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 04, 2009 23:56 |  #9

Thanks for the kind words guys! Yeah, full customization with a liquid-style templating is in the works. We have a v5 in test now, where you basically can design your own page, adding {{whatever}} to the template to pull database items, and then using straight html or javascript to customize further. You will also have access to your full css.

It's all a matter of getting it up and running stable before releasing to the wild....

1DmkIII, 10d, 20d, 30d, grips, 2x70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 10-20 f/4, 50mm, 15mm Fisheye
Zoomphoto.ca - Canadian Event Photography and Sales - Sell Online (external link)

Kekumba
583 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 05, 2009 01:04 |  #10

I think I'll sign up...

And yay Kanata. ;)

| Canon 7D | 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 1.4X II TC |
flickr (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 05, 2009 01:11 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Yay kanata ! Lotsa canadians in this thread...just need NS, NB, NFLD, MN, Sask, NU and YT to show up...

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

thepepperman
437 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 05, 2009 12:24 |  #12

mtbkanata wrote in post #9138407 (external link)
Thanks for the kind words guys! Yeah, full customization with a liquid-style templating is in the works. We have a v5 in test now, where you basically can design your own page, adding {{whatever}} to the template to pull database items, and then using straight html or javascript to customize further. You will also have access to your full css.

It's all a matter of getting it up and running stable before releasing to the wild....

Great to hear that! I'm also a Zoomer, although haven't had as much time as I'd like to dedicate to photography recently. Anyway, very much looking forward to more customizability, as I've been dreaming of having a more streamlined front end with the Zoomphoto printing & service support at the same time!

Steve - Flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - Le Gear
Square Peg Images - Website (external link) - Blog (external link) - Facebook (external link)

mtbkanata
191 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 05, 2009 15:53 |  #13

This might be a great spot then to ask people... what are you looking for in v5? Zoom has a photog forum, but it's like an elevator, no one talks.

So, imagine you had some pie-in-the-sky ideas... what would they be? Keeping in mind of course that they would have to be implemented for the community at large, so they need to remain somewhat reasonable.

I'll start off the list:

- Full css customization
- API to allow for data to be used on an external website (example, display your events list on your own website)
- More templates!

What else do you think?

1DmkIII, 10d, 20d, 30d, grips, 2x70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 10-20 f/4, 50mm, 15mm Fisheye
Zoomphoto.ca - Canadian Event Photography and Sales - Sell Online (external link)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 05, 2009 16:29 |  #14

What about a portfolio/gallery in conjunction to the event selling? Maybe have a splash page with separate links to portfolio & cart sites.

I'll think up some more Joe...

I've used ZoomPhoto for about 18 months and it's a great experience to sell in Cdn bucks. Print quality is awesome, pricing & fees are fair & reasonable, payment is timely, and Mtbkanata (Joe) is always on top of things and readily accessible.

If you're a Canadian photographer and not using ZoomPhoto you owe it to yourself to open a Zoom account and try it out. Event photographers will especially benefit from Zoom's indexing & bulk email capability to event participants!

Lindsey

beeng
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 05, 2009 20:15 |  #15

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9138640 (external link)
Yay kanata ! Lotsa canadians in this thread...just need NS, NB, NFLD, MN, Sask, NU and YT to show up...

wat

A roll of film, a carboard box, and a bobbypin

sponsored links

13,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smugmug type site in Canada?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.