Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jul 2009 (Monday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Novatron with Vagabond II ?

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 27, 2009 18:14 |  #1

I need help on a power issue for lighting.

I currently shoot studio work with an older Novatron 1500VR with 4 heads, and it has been very reliable for me. Eventually, I'll upgrade to something that is a little more controllable, but this works well enough for me.

I have been asked to do a location shoot, and need to bring lighting with me out into an area where there will be no power. The only power will be what I bring out there, or what I hook into off the SUV.

With that in mind, I've been looking at the Vagabond II battery pack. It states that it is designed for use with ABs/ WLs, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work with the Novatron power pack. Its a pure sine inverter coming off a battery, so it should be clean.

Has anyone tried this, or something similar already? If its not possible, I'll pick up a AB1600 along with the Vagabond II, but I would rather not spend the extra money at this moment if I could avoid it.

Thanks for any help or other ideas, I appreciate it.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

sponsored links
Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 28, 2009 10:28 |  #2

Anyone using the Vagabond II with power packs?

Stick

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 28, 2009 13:36 |  #3

It's basically a battery with a power inverter, I don't see why it wouldn't power any electrical device, and you can hook multple AB/WL strobes to it, so I don't see why it couldn't power a pack

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 28, 2009 14:20 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

DerekW wrote in post #8357681 (external link)
It's basically a battery with a power inverter, I don't see why it wouldn't power any electrical device, and you can hook multple AB/WL strobes to it, so I don't see why it couldn't power a pack

For the same reason that many monolights do not work with Vagabond.
The powerpack in question is a rather powerful device and Vagabond could just choke.
However the some Novatron strobers work with TRONIX Explorer. The list is here (external link). So there is a good chance that it will work with Vagabond.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 28, 2009 22:46 as a reply to  @ vadim_c's post |  #5

Typically, andy strobe or pack that can be powered by the Tronix Explorer XT can also be powered by the Vagabond II. I haven't seen an instance where this isn't true.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 29, 2009 06:31 |  #6

I suppose any inverter has a maximum output. But people hook up multiple White lightnings to it, which would take a fair amount of power.

Which monolights don't work with it?

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 29, 2009 07:23 |  #7

Strange that the compatibility chart on the Trionix page lists Novatron heads and not power packs. The 2103-FC head they list is capable of 1500 Ws, so one might infer that it would work with any Novatron pack. If necessary, I suppose one could switch the 1500 pack down to a lower power setting.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 29, 2009 07:54 |  #8

Jim M wrote in post #8361897 (external link)
Strange that the compatibility chart on the Trionix page lists Novatron heads and not power packs. The 2103-FC head they list is capable of 1500 Ws, so one might infer that it would work with any Novatron pack. If necessary, I suppose one could switch the 1500 pack down to a lower power setting.

Hi Jim,

Innovatronix tends to be cautious about listing a piece of gear that they have not tested. Even if there is every reason to believe that a strobe or pack will work they won't just list it as compatible without knowing for sure.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 30, 2009 23:51 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #9

Thankyou for the replies.

Stick

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2009 06:34 |  #10

Also, Ab's service is great, if you e-mail them your question with specs of your setup, they'll tell you if it works

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 31, 2009 07:00 |  #11

TMR Design wrote in post #8362025 (external link)
Hi Jim,

Innovatronix tends to be cautious about listing a piece of gear that they have not tested. Even if there is every reason to believe that a strobe or pack will work they won't just list it as compatible without knowing for sure.

Then why list the heads? They've listed every head Novatron currently makes, but not one pack. The heads won't work without the pack. No monolights were listed.

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 31, 2009 18:54 |  #12

DerekW wrote in post #8374457 (external link)
Also, Ab's service is great, if you e-mail them your question with specs of your setup, they'll tell you if it works

I spoke with them twice, and both ladys were more than pleasant, and very helpful. Because of the age of the pack, they didn't have any solid info, but did say that as a non-digital pack it should function.

I'll add that I had been thinking about picking up a 1600 along with the vagabond II for locations shoots. After the phone calls, I thought about it, and ended up ordering a 1600, 800, and the Vagabond II along with a softbox. It will serve in the role of basic equipment for outside and location shoots.

I see no need to replace the Novatron power pack with Alien Bees, but these will work nicely as location lights, and their built in slaves mean that will be an asset as secondary lights if needed.

ETA- If nothing else, its good service, a usable product, and a tax writeoff. It should be an all around win.

Stick

sponsored links

3,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
Novatron with Vagabond II ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.